↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Boost Ring & Pin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
steveyorks

England 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi CSW Barolo Black
Boost Ring & Pin
I have a 200tdi fitted in my old 110CSW which has the high ratio transfer box fitted. It was bought as a project although was solid and so I like twiddling and fiddling to try and improve it or counter the effects of age. I have adjusted the fuel pump to give it a little more umph and am wondering if anyone has experience of boost pins and rings that are now about? Its not about making it a race car etc as people may point out but more out of interest for me, seeing how it can be improved although a little extra power in hilly Yorkshire is always welcome.
Post #660388 29th Oct 2017 9:29pm
red zepplin

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Hi Steve recently fitted a boost pin to my 300tdi it has made some difference pulls away a little more eagerly but as you said yourself these aren't sports cars Rolling with laughter I think a clean intake system including intercooler would be money and time just as well spent
Simon
Post #668029 30th Nov 2017 5:43pm
dannyc85

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I have fitted a boost pin to my 300tdi. Apart from this everything we is standard I haven't turned the pump up. I would recommend it. It drives the same as before unless I put my foot flat down then there is a lot more power. There is no need to drop a gear going up hills on the motorway anymore. There is a bit of black smoke but only under full acceleration with normal driving there is nothing.
Post #668397 2nd Dec 2017 10:22am
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
No response about the Boost Ring from Steves post? My boost PIN has been adjusted and so the Fourby (other boost pins are available) Boost PIN is of no benefit But would i get any benefit from fitting the Fourby Boost RING on its own?? Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #673072 24th Dec 2017 2:05pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
we are talking in the FiP here i take it?

the std pin has more than enough profiles on it to give what you need without changing the pin. betting is any pin you will buy is only replicating an option on the original pin anyway.

best mod you can prob do is take the turbo waste gate pipe feed from the inlet manifold not the top of the turbo/ T piece. leave the FiP actuator from the turbo (will make it lazy) which is fine. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #673116 24th Dec 2017 5:40pm
steveyorks

JST I have heard mention of this before though don't really understand it. Can you explain a bit more please?
Post #690992 4th Mar 2018 9:35pm
jst

looking at Tdis here, and based on my experience after experimenting over 5years using EGT and Boost gauges.

the turbo wategate opens when 'max' boost has been reached

the wastegate is operated by a pressure pipe that is fed, usually, from the compressor side of the turbo. as the wastegate is on the turbo body its a very short piece of pipe.

lets say the tdi wastegate is designed to open at 1 bar as thats what they determine the engine can take. (note 1 bar i have chosen as an example rate varies for 200/300s)

so when the turbo is putting out 1bar at the compressor, the wastegate will open when the pressure in the aforementioned pipe reaches 1 bar.

the air will then pass through the intercooler to the inlet manifold. where .... it will be less than 1Bar due to losses in the pipework.

If the pressure feed for the wastegate was taken from the air inlet manifold (there is a blank at the back on some tdis) then the turbo would continue to spool up until you have 1 Bar at the air inlet. If the engine is designed to take 1 bar, it is now seeing the 1 Bar rather than say 0.8 Bar due to pipe loses.

In essence this uses the turbo to overcome the losses in the pipework between the turbo outlet and the inlet manifold.

If you fit a larger intercooler you may well see a pressure drop compared to the standard one, hence the hiflow ones etc.

by taking the feed off the air inlet you are guaranteeing the inlet will see the max pressure the turbo was matched to give to the engine. 1 bar in my example irrespective of pipe losses. So you dont need to know the pipe work losses.

if you just shorted the wastegate actuator rod (which will mean turbo needs to produce a greater pressure to open the wastegate) you are guessing at what extra pressure is needed to be generated to overcome changes/looses in pipework to get your 1bar at the inlet.

on mine, having done the intercooler and FiP pin and max fuel screw mods this matched the pressure and saw a jump from 0.9bar at manifold (std wastegate setup) to 1.3 bar at manifold, taking wastegate feed from inlet, under full boost. it was quicker off the mark and used less fuel.

The second part is the FiP pin which moves down under pressure.

The greater the pressure the further the pin moves down and then the higher the fuel delivery.

In standard this pressure feed comes from the same pipe as the wastegate pipe (its T'd in)

If you leave this feed here it means the FiP diaphragm will move down as the turbo instantly produces pressure.

If you moved this feed to the inlet manifold it would produce pressure and move the pin down still but the pressure would be less compared to the pressure at the original 'T' piece, due to losses in the pipework (from tubo to intercooler)

So to give the vehicle more low down you need to make the FiP pin move down asap, so therefore keep the FiP feed direct off the turbo. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #691151 5th Mar 2018 1:13pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
nice write up JST Thumbs Up ,got any pics of yours.
Post #691196 5th Mar 2018 4:23pm
steveyorks

A great write up I can see you have taken some time and care writing that so thanks very much. mines a 200tdi so when this snow clears I will have a look and see if I already have a place on the inlet manifold I can connect to. What type of pipework and fittings are required for this?
Post #691206 5th Mar 2018 5:17pm
jst

One of mine had a blanking plug at rear, bulkhead end, of air inlet so I used yet with 1/8npt thread iirc. Onto pneumatic 6m push fit. The other I drilled the casing and put thread in to take same.

Will have some pics at home somewhere, will dig them out. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #691263 5th Mar 2018 8:27pm
iamthehough

whats the best one?
Post #695980 24th Mar 2018 9:26pm
jst

Best boost pin? Or best something related to last post? Tap? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #695986 24th Mar 2018 9:42pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Did mine the other day , only to find this .

Click image to enlarge
Post #704810 2nd May 2018 4:18pm
jst

thats not the end of the world just clean it up, does the boost pin come out? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #704856 2nd May 2018 7:42pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Anyone who likes a bit of “light” reading there’s a Book by Bosch called Diesel engine management and it covers the VE Pump in depth.
Post #704867 2nd May 2018 8:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>