↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Steel vs Alloy: Urban Myth or based on hard evidence?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Smacked one of my steel modulars on a concrete fence post that was hidden in the bottom of a ford.

Nice big ding in the rim but easily cured with a 4lb Club Hammer, tyre didn't even deflate. Not sure if one of my boost alloys would have survived so easily. MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90
Post #42897 18th Oct 2010 12:58pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thanks for the posts - yes coincidentally the Mach 5s would be my weapon of choice if I went to steel - would need to think about offset - the alloys I'm running fit the arches soooo well - well enough to have the MOT tester get his ruler out (another 18 mths)....

Leeds raised the question of tyre size/availability.....I'd understood that 285/75/16 was a common size in far flung places due to them being favoured by the Toyota Land Cruiser brigade. Anyone got thoughts on that (tyres I mean not TLCs!!)? If I'm to lash out on Mach 5s then I should at least get the right size!
Post #42972 18th Oct 2010 8:50pm
Vixen

Australia 
I've always changed from alloys to steel before doing a long touring trip here in Aus for just a couple of reasons

1. Alloys look great and are not cheap to replace, whereas steel wheels are relatively cheap, so if you damage a steel wheel it's no big deal cost wise. Our outback roads tend to be hard on vehicles, some of then feel like they are made of half housebricks, so it wouldn't be hard to damage an alloy wheel or the tyres.

2. Changing tyres on the road....tackling alloys with tyre levers gives a chance of damage to the rims, so again cheaper & easier to do steel rims. Taking it to a servo with all the gear does not always mean it will be done without damage either Sad

It's better to change them before you head out and keep the pretty wheels for at home. And....you have to remember an outback trip for us can mean 10,000km of driving, so plenty of scope for damage Wink
Post #43407 23rd Oct 2010 10:26pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
SteveS wrote:
If I'm to lash out on Mach 5s then I should at least get the right size!

SteveS - Make a phonecall or two first!

Before you set your heart on a set of Mach 5s give the manufacturer a call first to see where he is in the production phase...Long story short Mach 5s have been like hens teeth for some considerable time due to the manufacturing process/rights being sold and the then new producers going belly up or something like that! Matt Lee the original manufacturer has been professing for a good while that production was about to restart after resecuring the manufacturing rights himself! I spoke to him some while ago and the new look Mach 5s with the flared spokes and redesigned centres were only initially going to be produced in Beadlockers to begin with. I run on old style Mach 5s 15 x 10s with a 40mm offset, I had to 'cobble them together' by purchasing bare steel and powder coated ones from Devon 4 x 4 and getting the bare ones powder coated. I got the last complete set of 15". Tyres are Coopers high flotation size 32 x 11.5 and like yours a ruler will be needed by the MOT tester. Fekete runs on 33 x 12.5 and he had a PC Plod Censored for sticky out too much. Have a look in my gallery and that of Fekete's if you're interested. I would give Matt a call direct to get the latest gen!
From the website it does imply that beadlockers are currently the only option! From memory I think it is AndrewS or Sonic that can enlighten you as to the traits of 'balancing a Mach 5 beadlocker!'

Thumbs Up

http://www.mach5wheels.co.uk/index.htm#Wheels

Personal apologies to Discocuzzy for posting the following picture. I couldn't possibly resist! Sorry mate! Laughing Bow down

If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #43413 24th Oct 2010 8:30am
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thanks for the good advice. I'm not in a rush to buy another set of rims yet so will continue to make enquiries with Mach5 and keep an eye on things over the coming months
Post #43510 25th Oct 2010 9:51pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Food for thought

Post #687381 18th Feb 2018 4:38pm
Gilloverland

United Kingdom 
I bent a modular steel wheel greenlaning two weeks ago - it was going down at a fair rate too but I managed to hammer it more or less into shape and pump it up again.
First time I've had to do that it about 20 years greenlaning!
Post #687413 18th Feb 2018 7:33pm
Gilloverland

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:
Food for thought

I was just thinking of this video...
Post #687414 18th Feb 2018 7:36pm
Grouse

Yes, I have bent the lip / rim quite badly on 3 or 4 occasions and just bashed it back with 2 big hammers, one on the inside and one on the outside. If they don't hold air I just put a tube in inflate it and off I went. No way on earth would an alloy put up with that abuse, they would just chip and crumble.
Post #687419 18th Feb 2018 8:13pm
okami

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Montpellier Red
I wouldn't argue that steelies aren't the easiest to repair in the bush -- bashing one back into shape isn't too difficult. This almost guarantees you can continue your trek and get back home.

However, in my personal experience, I've always struggled keeping steel wheels properly balanced. In practice they've always suffered from minor lip dents and buckles that made dealing with wheel vibration a pain. Mind you, I've never had HD wolf rims on anything so a stronger wheel could be the solution.

None of my alloys have ever really suffered from this. I've been quite lucky that despite many lost tires, I've never had any major wheel damage outside of minor lip bends (steelies) despite most of my offroading having been in the American southwest.

My experience is that many alloys tend to be a little bit more resistant to general lip bends, but if the force is too great they can catastrophically crack.

I'm running factory steel wheels at the moment on my 200tdi, but I may add a set of sawtooths at some point. Constant struggle over keeping the clean factory look with a more modern a comfortable ride.
Post #687458 18th Feb 2018 10:26pm
JimC

United States 2007 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Arles Blue
This is some bigtime thread resurrection.

I’m surprised though that no one has raised the point that with steel wheels, you can remove or replace a broken axle without removing the wheel.
Post #687508 19th Feb 2018 7:22am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
You can with some alloys. Why does the Army run Blindo alloys? 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #687517 19th Feb 2018 8:19am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Et voila! Blindos, showing that replacing a halfshaft would not be a problem.

Click image to enlarge
Post #687530 19th Feb 2018 10:21am
Gilloverland

United Kingdom 
Re the balancing I've just got some Dynabeads - not fitted yet but I'm hoping they'll do the trick!
Post #687542 19th Feb 2018 11:45am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
AndrewS wrote:
Why does the Army run Blindo alloys?

Was it because they were massively overweight with other elements of the vehicle upgrade and needed to shed weight were they could - wheels were thus compromised from steel to alloy. A decision made by a project team remote from any of the real world consequences...
Post #687583 19th Feb 2018 3:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>