↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Indicators (LED)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Down Hill Fast

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Indicators (LED)
Forgive me fellow Landy owners... it has been some 20 years since my last Land Rover ownership / money pit Laughing Laughing am I forgiven?? I have recently bought a 2.4 Puma 110 Defender, which was a revelation from the memories of my old Series 3!! having a working heater.... who would have thought it! Anyway I have fitted to the vehicle the Wipac LED Lights (Indicators etc..) and herein lays the issue, last week the rear NS indicator stopped working while all the others worked fine, then started working again! yesterday the problem started again that the rear ns indicator stopped working, then while driving today all the indicators stopped working, upon checking, the hazards worked with the exception of the rear ns, I have checked all the fuses and none are blown, the indicator relay works (even tried the new spare) swapped over the rear indicators and still the rear ns wont work, I have cleaned all the earth points I can find, I have checked the wiring as far as I can but cant seem to find a short or any exposed wire..... so im stuck and I need help.... but if anyone has any thoughts on the indicator issue that would be a start!!!
Post #687403 18th Feb 2018 6:38pm
Arsath

United Arab Emirates 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Fuji White
Found this info on another forum seem to have fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

"Relay under the drivers seat IIRC? Hazard relay under steering wheel?

IIRC number 38 or something in the seat box...."

Well known issue. Just unplug, clean and plug back in.
Post #687445 18th Feb 2018 9:53pm
Down Hill Fast

Thank you Arsath, I will give that a go and see what happens, fingers crossed!
Post #687451 18th Feb 2018 10:09pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Are you sure all the pins in the multi plug connector are seated properly?

I have had a few pins move back if you don't insert them square and it could be causing an intermittent connection.

Also check the rubber seals in the plugs, if the seals are damaged or missing you'll be getting road spray and muck in there causing a high resistance connection over time. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #687524 19th Feb 2018 9:49am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Have you checked Earth continuity ? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #687540 19th Feb 2018 11:07am
Down Hill Fast

Hi Ozzie / Steve, Thanks for the replies and tips! All the connectors Where checked and I taped over them completely after I initially fitted the LEDs to try to keep water and dirt out as I thought they where a little exposed in the location of the wiring. The earth continuity check I'm not too sure as to how to check the component with it being an LED except for the swap around I done with the RNS and ROS components which proved that both components worked in the ROS location but not in the RNS, when I check the wiring with the multimeter (set at 20v range) I get a reading of 0.03 on both which I don't really understand. I have also read that it may be the actual hazard switch on the dash that causes the problem (I have ordered a new one which I'm picking up tomorrow and fitting just in case) and the when a turn signal is initiated via the stalk switch that this actually runs through the hazard switch which if faulty can cause this problem..... I will post tomorrow and let you know if the hazard switch replacement works, thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Post #687677 19th Feb 2018 8:45pm
Down Hill Fast

Well that was a waste of £60, fitted new hazard switch and the issue persists, with the exception that it persists with a brand new hazard switch Big Cry Big Cry anyway, as with all things electrickery there seems to be the need for some sort of chanted incantation while dancing around a fire naked so I've taken the bull by the horns and booked it into a local auto electrickan and I'll let them do the chanting and dancing....... It's far to cold for that sort of thing!
Post #687890 20th Feb 2018 8:22pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Sounds like corrosion in the N/S/R indicator connector (vehicle side) to me Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #687940 20th Feb 2018 11:24pm
ozzie1989

That's a shame, but as above I'd put my money on the connector or the wiring going to that particular unit.

If it was the switch you'd normally see issues across the 3 units on one or both sides.

Let us know how you get on Thumbs Up Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Post #687944 21st Feb 2018 12:03am
Down Hill Fast

Hi Ozzie, well I have picked up the Land Rover from the High Priest of Electrickery and it seems that the fault was actually a short but it wasn't in the circuit for the RNS indicator, that was just the manifestation of the short. The actual short was in a part of the loom that I would not have thought to have checked in a million years, it was at the back of the turbo, the loom was chaffing on the heat shield of the turbo and had worn through causing a permanent short which he has now rectified and I do have to say, and wether it's a placebo effect I couldn't say, but the Land Rover really seems to be running a lot better!.... Once again thanks for everyone's input and sharing your knowledge... No doubt in the future I will be posting more requests for help!
Post #688098 21st Feb 2018 8:50pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Did the High Priest say whether it was only the indicator wires shorted or did it cause damage to other circuits? Might be the reason you're running better.
Post #688105 21st Feb 2018 9:16pm
ozzie1989

Very interesting, I've heard of the loom chafing there before but not linked to indicator.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome though, this post could help lots of people in the future Thumbs Up

All the best, Ozzie. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Post #688158 22nd Feb 2018 8:18am
Arsath

United Arab Emirates 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Fuji White
Down Hill Fast wrote:
Hi Ozzie, well I have picked up the Land Rover from the High Priest of Electrickery and it seems that the fault was actually a short but it wasn't in the circuit for the RNS indicator, that was just the manifestation of the short. The actual short was in a part of the loom that I would not have thought to have checked in a million years, it was at the back of the turbo, the loom was chaffing on the heat shield of the turbo and had worn through causing a permanent short which he has now rectified and I do have to say, and wether it's a placebo effect I couldn't say, but the Land Rover really seems to be running a lot better!.... Once again thanks for everyone's input and sharing your knowledge... No doubt in the future I will be posting more requests for help!

Land Rovers can and will give a lot of butterflies in the stomach and many placebo effects! How do I know.. going through it day in day out.. Rolling with laughter
Post #689752 28th Feb 2018 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1