↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Can winter 'snowflake 3PMSF' tyres be used in summer in UK ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nik h

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Can winter 'snowflake 3PMSF' tyres be used in summer in UK ?
Dear All,

I recently posted a list of EU officially recognised winter tyres available in UK in a post called [url]"UK winter tyres list + snowflake symbol 3PMSF meaning"[/url]

Thanks to those who have replied already.

I'd like to read more experiences of winter tyres used in summer in UK - drive-ability, braking distances, wear etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Nik H
Post #684469 6th Feb 2018 10:19am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
We had a set of General Snow Grabbers on my wifes' Freelander 2 for a couple of years. They were great tyres in the winter but were good in warmer months too. When fitted, it was instantly noticeable that they were a lot more directional than the Pirelli Scorpions that they'd replaced.

They didn't seem to wear significantly differently than an ordinary tyre in the time that we had them and would choose them again as a good all rounder. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #684478 6th Feb 2018 11:01am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Bfg ko2 are winter rated and certainly usable all year round Smile 
Post #684479 6th Feb 2018 11:08am
J@mes

United Kingdom 
I use duratracs all year round without issue Thumbs Up
Post #684489 6th Feb 2018 11:57am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have run KO2 al year round since they came out and the original AT from BFG prior to that. they still do 70k miles or so. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #684512 6th Feb 2018 2:56pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Sorry, I thought the OP was about dedicated winter tyres rather than just winter-rated ones. For the latter, there are of course lots of different ones that people use all of the time and I'll add General AT2's to those already mentioned. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #684546 6th Feb 2018 5:36pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Real winter tyres are made from a softer rubber. I didn't feel any difference at 15 C but they wear a lot quicker. I noticed that on a warm drive back from Austria a few years back with my D3. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #684553 6th Feb 2018 5:52pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
As I understand, there are two broad categories of winter tyres... Alpine and Nordic.

The Nokians discussed on your other thread are Nordic I believe, and I don't think anybody would officially advise using those in a temperate summer.
As for Alpine winters, I remember on another thread someone posting a link to a Continental webpage, in German, advising against using winters all year round. I then posted a link to the Continental UK website that said the opposite.
The argument being that the loss of performance of a winter tyre in summer is less than the loss of performance of a summer tyre in winter.
Post #684598 6th Feb 2018 8:39pm
nicam

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
As I put on the original thread -

"At the end of last winter I decided that my Vredstein Wintracs were too worn to be at their best for another winter so decided to run them through the summer to make use of the tread that was left (as they do in the Alps etc) and then replace them for this winter - which I now have done with the Happeliitas. I can honestly say that I would not have known that they were the "wrong" tyres over the summer - and they lasted so well that it was January before I felt the need to change them. The only time I got a little nervous was in VERY wet conditions because they were a 265 and with low tread depth I always thought that aquaplaning was a possibility - but it never actually happened.
I think that on a Land Rover you are never going to be pushing the tyres too hard, such as may happen in a more performance orientated vehicle, so the tyre wear, even in the "heat" of a british summer was not excessive. "

It may be that the tread depth being low helped over the summer - less heat generation due to tread deformation - but I stick to the comment above - I wouldn`t have known they were "wrong". I also stick to the observation that running them on a Defender is very different to running them on a performance car.

Edited to add; I`ve just found my record of the miles I covered each year on winter or summer tyres (Yes, sad isn`t it!) and the Vredsteins had done 51386 miles between 2012 and when I took them off in January 2018. And that includes running them through last summer. I think that is pretty acceptable in anyones book. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Last edited by nicam on 8th Feb 2018 5:40pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #684758 7th Feb 2018 12:27pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Driving winter tyres year-round is commonplace here. As mentioned, rubber is softer so tread wear can be excessive if you do a lot of miles and might not even make a second winter season. Occasional use, no problem. Their absolute weakness is damp or wet conditions. If you take your driving easy and mainly do lots of straight lines without too much heavy braking, fine. But any intention to push the rubber to its limits (I've found the light, damp, greasy conditions to be worst), and they'll give out on you quicker or take longer to stop under hard braking, than summer tyres. Frankly, having driving in hot conditions, (regularly 30c+ here in the Alps), very cold conditions, snow covered conditions, light rain etc, I have been happy with my BFGs. But that's generally driving within the limits of sportscar driving Whistle . If yopu're talking about cars in general, my wife's Contis are exceptional. But traditionally, whilst I keep mine year-round, she swaps hers each season.

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tire...act-ts-860 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #684777 7th Feb 2018 3:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1