↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Reciver hitch height questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Reciver hitch height questions
For those who have a receiver hitch on a 110 could I ask if you could pop out with the tape measure

I'm looking for the height of the top of the ball in the lowest bolt holes. Also if you have just a ball or a ball and pin.

Also I know vehicles vary in height etc etc so if you measure to the bottom of the rear crossmember then I can do the maths.

At the minute I have

22 1/2 inches floor to bottom of crossmember

18 inches floor to top of ball on lowest hole of the DB

20 inches floor to next hole up on the DB.

My three trailers use these two settings so as you guess I want to see if the receiver idea is a go or no It's not often I have a trailer in tow and Offroad the DB is letting me know it's presence all too often.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #684040 4th Feb 2018 12:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Do you mean "receiver hitch" or do you really mean "Dixon Bate adjustable hitch"? They're radically different things, and your question doesn't really make sense for a receiver hitch.
Post #684047 4th Feb 2018 1:53pm
Devon-Rover

I have a Dixon bate adjustable drop hitch and it does more ploughing than towing, I need someone with the 2 inch receiver hitch to measure their tow ball height when they have the associated drop hitch on.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #684049 4th Feb 2018 2:10pm
blackwolf

Aha, I understand now! No measurements available at present but I do have these pictures of mine which may be of interest.

With a coupling fitted with the bracket in the photo 2 orientation it is way lower than when I had the "ground anchor" fitted.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #684054 4th Feb 2018 2:30pm
Devon-Rover

Thanks Blackwolf.

So the theory works out just need to find a dude with the actual measurements. The box van requires the lowest setting and to keep it stable I can't really allow it to get any more nose height.

Very Happy Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #684247 5th Feb 2018 8:16am
blackwolf

You could probably get a pretty good idea based on the fact that the holes in the short DB 'ladder' I use have the same spacings as the standard DB Defender long 'ladder', and the top hole in pic 2 is in line with the centre of the 2" receiver slot under the crossmember, so the centre of the top slider hole will be as near as makes no odds 1.1/4" below the bottom face of the crossmember.

If at some stage this week I get the chance in daylight, I'll try to get a photo with a tape measure in the picture.
Post #684250 5th Feb 2018 8:28am
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Sorry, no measurements as I haven't put it on yet, but I have a Terrafirma receiver hitch to go on the Puma (similar setup to what blackwolf shows) and just by looking at it I am pretty sure the bottom set of hitch holes is a lot lower than the lowest setting on the old drop plate, and that's OK towing my twin axle Ifor tipper even with 33" tyres on.
Post #684442 6th Feb 2018 12:03am
BogMonster

Just occurred to me that I can measure the old and the new - sorry for crap photos but taken in a dark garage, good enough to show the layout.

Photo 1 existing fixed drop plate measures:
- Lower edge of crossmember to floor 23.5"
- Lowest set of bolt holes to floor 16.5"

Click image to enlarge

Photo 2 new Terrafirma receiver hitch is the same measurement - 7" from where it fits against the lower edge of the crossmember to the lowest set of holes, so the lowest holes will be the same distance off the floor

Click image to enlarge

This is measured on a standard Tdci 110 SW Utility with standard suspension and 33x12.50R15 tyres fitted, so slightly higher than factory.

I also bought the receiver as the standard arrangement is tiresome off road. My old Tdi 110 has a Southdown tank guard/tow pack, but that seems to have been discontinued.

Hope that helps!
Post #684443 6th Feb 2018 12:16am
Devon-Rover

Cheers bogmonster I do have the DB adjustable and all this talk of bolt holes is confusing it slightly as Top of ball height is something transferable from vehicle to vehicle vis a vis hitch setup to setup.

Someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny Whilst i'm game for science it's an expensive gamble. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #686191 12th Feb 2018 9:24pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Most trailer's like to be towed at 16 1/2" to 17 1/2" top of ball.I have towed twin axle Ifor Williams a tri axle Brian James car transporter and my Swift 645 twin axle caravan all on the same setting .
Post #686226 12th Feb 2018 10:50pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Legin - what setup do you have for this?
Post #686325 13th Feb 2018 12:56pm
BogMonster

Devon-Rover wrote:
Cheers bogmonster I do have the DB adjustable and all this talk of bolt holes is confusing it slightly as Top of ball height is something transferable from vehicle to vehicle vis a vis hitch setup to setup.

Someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny Whilst i'm game for science it's an expensive gamble.

OK, here's more info then from actual measurements. The final ball height also depends on what sort of ball hitch you have. Mine is now fitted, as predicted it is 16.5" to the lower set of bolt holes. I have a combi hitch on there at the moment so the distance to the top of the ball is 20.5", but a standard ball-only hitch would be a bit lower than this (I reckon about 2" lower is likely).

This vehicle is on standard suspension and 33" tyres and the receiver hitch is a Terrafirma one.

Overall setup:

Click image to enlarge

Distance to floor

Click image to enlarge
 ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #686501 14th Feb 2018 12:12am
Devon-Rover

Brilliant thanks for that.

Your previous post put your rear X at an inch above mine so it's simple maths. I have a similar hitch so that makes things simpler too. It does though prove the point that the DB drop does indeed rear lower than the receiver. but it is only an inch which shouldn't upset things too much.

If anyone has the safari equip it'll be good to know exact model for model.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #686509 14th Feb 2018 8:09am
BogMonster

Just to add to this, EC rules appear to require "towball height" to be 350-420mm (13.8-16.5") with the vehicle laden, but that appears to be to the middle of the ball not to the flat on top. I think I'd have to put quite a lot of beer in the back of the 110 to get it down that far Laughing ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #686535 14th Feb 2018 10:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1