↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Rank amateur and a Series One
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Sounds like a good plan Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #680515 21st Jan 2018 8:25pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
As already suggested - do join the Series One club. You get a great magazine and lots of good articles. There are also several Series One groups on Facebook which are also good. I don't suppose you will have it up and running for the Series One clubs 70th anniversary event in Anglesey in June sadly! Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #680802 22nd Jan 2018 7:56pm
Slideywindows

England 
I think your plan is fine, if you know exactly what you want to do with it once it is finished.

In some ways, Ian's 86" demonstrates the problem with immaculately restored vehicles - what do you do with them?

Pay the insurance premium, pay the insurance premium for the building it's stored in, take it to Shows and possibly the occasional drive out on dry days, hoping it wont get scratched if you park it.

I've done one like that (my 1948) but never again.

Since then I've decided to keep my rebuilds suitable for everyday/all year use, even for a spot of green-laning.

Each owner decides for themselves of course.

Just for fun and on the subject of the rear PTO and belt pulley, here's a picture quiz:

What from?

Click image to enlarge
Post #680923 22nd Jan 2018 10:54pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
strang wrote:
I don't suppose you will have it up and running for the Series One clubs 70th anniversary event in Anglesey in June sadly!

Very sadly, not likely unless I manage to get a lottery win or my bonds come up!
Post #680956 23rd Jan 2018 12:34am
ian series 1

Slideywindows wrote:
I think your plan is fine, if you know exactly what you want to do with it once it is finished.

In some ways, Ian's 86" demonstrates the problem with immaculately restored vehicles - what do you do with them?

Pay the insurance premium, pay the insurance premium for the building it's stored in, take it to Shows and possibly the occasional drive out on dry days, hoping it wont get scratched if you park it.

Since then I've decided to keep my rebuilds suitable for everyday/all year use, even for a spot of green-laning.

Just for fun and on the subject of the rear PTO and belt pulley, here's a picture quiz:

What from?

Click image to enlarge

Grey Fergie.... Whistle 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #680971 23rd Jan 2018 7:16am
Slideywindows

England 
One of them is. Thumbs Up
Post #681017 23rd Jan 2018 11:19am
ian series 1

6 spline or 10 spline?

Right hand side is MF. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #681044 23rd Jan 2018 12:18pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Slideywindows wrote:

What from?

Click image to enlarge

Agree with Slideywindows I have always tended to rebuild to good mechanical and electrical condition but not overdoing it with the bodywork as it then tends only to be a sunny day / show vehicle. Ian’s restoration looks immaculate but I think I would be frightened to use it much. You are too quick Ian, beat me to the answer Thumbs Up
Post #681072 23rd Jan 2018 1:59pm
ian series 1

Mirroring what has been said above,
I have a restored 80” and 86” I rarely use them!

The other 80” I have is original, but has been externally painted at some point.

Fenella is used a lot more than the others, comuting, green laning, shows etc,
I would happily drive her around the world if I could!

She will be the one I will hang onto forever,

We love her, and she’s one of the family. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #681076 23rd Jan 2018 2:20pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
This is my old girl although my son has ownership now but I still have driving rights Very Happy

In a condition that does not preclude using it and non the worse off after many green lanes in my near 30 years of ownership.

Click image to enlarge
Post #681112 23rd Jan 2018 5:58pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Ian

Your 80" looks immaculate like a matchbox car, but if its simply not being used (and you have others) then I see selling to fund a big workshop and other projects a great Idea.

I guess you have looked at the best places to offer the car to, so you get the best price back. I cannot remember what program it was I watched a year or so ago and they rebuilt a series Landrover to look like yours. It may have been Coys Auction house it ended up and went for serious pennies Thumbs Up

I Like Fenella it looks more usable anyway and ready, bit more rugged and far more usable. Thumbs Up

Either way some lovely cars Very Happy
Post #681138 23rd Jan 2018 8:32pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Regarding restoration and use, I would go for use. I have owned my series one for 20 odd years now. It is a bit of a triggers broom, but always gets well used. I have been all over Europe in it, and still use it for such journeys. It was back in the Czech Republic again last summer. For this kind of use, it is far from original now. It has a 200tdi fitted and disc brakes, but these make it all the more useable. I also have my Defender, but I use my series one more as it is more fun to be honest. If you are going to have a series one, they are more fun if used. I think all the ones currently being 'restored' by the JLR heritage department will end up as trailer queens just attending shows, when really they should be out and about doing what they were built for!

Some years ago I had a series two fire engine. It was a fantastic thing, but there is only so much you can do with such a vehicle. It got to the point that apart from attending shows, and letting others take photographs of it, that was it, so I sold it.

If you want some ideas of what you can do with a slightly modified series one, see some of Steve Patchet's videos on youtube - his is far from original as you can see!

Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #681145 23rd Jan 2018 8:57pm
Slideywindows

England 
Nice to see some sensible SI chat on here. Thumbs Up

I hope the OP, "bluebottle" gets something out of it.

Don't know if I've put this up before. Owned 50 years this coming December.
Drove a lot in Europe when I was 19, down to S of France, up to Oslo for a few days and back down to S of France.

Original two litre diesel, was on little 600x16 ATM tyres and no overdrive.

I keep mentioning it, as no-one has given me the medal I so obviously deserve! Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
Post #681160 23rd Jan 2018 9:32pm
Andy80

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Talking of sensible chat... So have you never time to remove the rattly old diesel for a more refined Petrol engine then? Wink Working towards Carry on camping!
Post #681165 23rd Jan 2018 9:46pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Awesome video! I love my Puma because its just such fun to drive, every journey is an adventure. Are you telling Series One's are even better? Shocked Cool

A local pub has the most amazing S1, topless in the summer, canvas on in the winter but parked outside all year and has been like that for years. I always feel sorry for it but, at least it's being used. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #681167 23rd Jan 2018 9:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>