↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Nanocom & Scangauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Nanocom & Scangauge
I have just taken advantage of a group buy and purchased a Nanocom for my 2.4 Puma (thanks DieselDriver!). I currently have a Scangauge which is permanently connected which I use mainly for its Gauges.

I unplugged the Scangauge from the ODB port and plugged in the Nanocom. In the faults section of the Nanocom , Read Tested, it displays 3 faults. EGR valve, stuck open, MAF within range but higher than expected and low system voltage. The engine light is not on. When I plugged the Scangauge back in it shows no faults and when I switch off the engine, which seems to be running fine, I can hear the Chukka, Chukka, Chukka of the egr cleaning cycle. Anyone got any idea what can be causing this?

On another, connected matter, when I originally mounted my Scangauge I removed the ODB socket from its mounting in the fuse holder frame, connected the Scangauge plug and tucked it up out of the way behind the fuse board. This was to allow the fuse box lid to close as the ODB socket is so close to the fuse box lid it won’t close with the Scangauge plugged in. As I now have the Nanocom I have returned the ODB socket to the frame so that I can be easily plugged it in. Other than cutting a hole in the fuse box lid to clear the Scangauge plug is there another solution as I want to have the Scangauge permanently plugged in?

Thanks,

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #679883 19th Jan 2018 12:57pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
The Nanocom is specifically designed for your vehicle and thus reads more accurately where the Scangauge is a generic reader and won't pick up on everything.

You may want to check the Scangauge is giving accurate readings. The Nanocom has live gauges too
Post #679895 19th Jan 2018 1:21pm
ChrisCM

Yes, I can understand that but what worries me is the EGR fault, I think I would know if the EGR was stuck open and, I assume, this would cause the engine warning light to come on?

I’m afraid I’m a bit new to these devices, unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be an idiots guide to the Nanocom and what all the various read outs are and how to interpret what they mean. Maybe in my case a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?

Post #679907 19th Jan 2018 1:58pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
you can use a OBD splitter which gives you 2 OBD sockets/ connection points My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #679909 19th Jan 2018 2:03pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
Have you cleared the codes and checked if they return.... they could be REALLY old if it hasn't been read / cleared in a while!

The nice thing with the LR SDD is that it gives you the mileage on the fault codes but I have never seen them on the Nanocom kit I assume I am missing something.

Last edited by TJH1985 on 25th Jan 2018 5:01pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #679911 19th Jan 2018 2:09pm
ChrisCM

“Have you cleared the codes and checked if they return.... they could be REALLY old if it hasn't been read / cleared in a while!”

You may well be right. It’s never been cleared since I’ve had her and only read with my Scangauge, so about 5 years. When the rain stops I’ll have another go and try and clear it.

Re the ODB splitter, can you run 2 devices at once? probably not, but it got me thinking, perhaps a short ODB
extension cable
would enable me to remove the socket again, connect the extension and have it as a sort of flying socket which I can easily tuck down the side of the fuse panel? Time to get on eBay again!

Thanks for your input guys.

Post #679920 19th Jan 2018 2:47pm
bankz5152

As above. Clear the fault, drive around see if it returns. If it does, potential issue, if not issue resolved.

There isnt a guide as such but there is a useful forum on the Nanocom website.
Post #679928 19th Jan 2018 3:11pm
davybull

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 HT Masai Red
I too took advantage of the group buy. Cheers Diesel Driver Thumbs Up

I too plugged mine in and checked for faults but the only fault was an air conditioner fault which the car doesn't have!! Laughing

Was hoping for a load of faults to justify buying it but not a bloody thing. Hope the Defender goes wrong soon so I can justify the purchase to the missus. Shocked

Seems a bloody good unit though having had a play.
Post #680053 19th Jan 2018 10:03pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
I also bought one thru the group buy....thanks Dieseldave!! It is sitting in my kitchen ready to initialize but I am stuck here in Mons Belgium for work for another week befire I get home....so keep this thread alive till I get home to plug it in!!
Patrick
Post #680062 19th Jan 2018 10:43pm
bankz5152

davybull wrote:
I too took advantage of the group buy. Cheers Diesel Driver Thumbs Up

I too plugged mine in and checked for faults but the only fault was an air conditioner fault which the car doesn't have!! Laughing

Was hoping for a load of faults to justify buying it but not a bloody thing. Hope the Defender goes wrong soon so I can justify the purchase to the missus. Shocked

Seems a bloody good unit though having had a play.

Programme a spare fob if havnt already!! Can do up to 5 I think
Post #680068 19th Jan 2018 11:32pm
ChrisCM

Haven’t got round to clearing the faults with the Nanocom yet (weather dreadful) but I did plug the Scangauge back in when I left the vehicle yesterday. I noticed this morning that when I unlocked the car using the fob the Scangauge briefly illuminated and showed the gauges, went off after a couple of seconds, very strange as it’s never done this before, normally comes to life a few seconds after the “ignition” is turned on and the car started.

The vehicle then started and ran as normal with the Scangauge working as normal.

Anyone else with a Scangauge noticed this behaviour?

Post #680195 20th Jan 2018 5:23pm
ChrisCM

All faults cleared so good to go Thumbs Up 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #681288 24th Jan 2018 10:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1