↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LED Lightbar and LED rear lights..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TOP5N

United Kingdom 
LED Lightbar and LED rear lights..
Hi All... i am thinking of adding a gutter mounted light bar to my defender and two rear spots either side mounted on the upper rear roof section... can anyone suggest the best way to route the cabling... for the front light bar, is it best just to drill through the roof with a cable grommet.. i'm worried about de-valueing my 2015 defender by drilling holes for lights etc... but could do with the lights for winter work.

Chris
Post #679387 17th Jan 2018 8:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
No Snorkel or RAI? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #679388 17th Jan 2018 8:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: LED Lightbar and LED rear lights..
TOP5N wrote:
Hi All... i am thinking of adding a gutter mounted light bar to my defender and two rear spots either side mounted on the upper rear roof section... can anyone suggest the best way to route the cabling... for the front light bar, is it best just to drill through the roof with a cable grommet.. i'm worried about de-valueing my 2015 defender by drilling holes for lights etc... but could do with the lights for winter work.

Chris

Hi Chris. Planning on doing the same, although I have a cage to attach lights too. I did find these the other day and thought they would be excellent for mounting above the rear door;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M9I...UNSYPDJOVY

Be great as extra reversing light and for lighting up the rear whilst camping or surveying in Winter. Actually considering mounting a couple on the flanks of the 110 to illuminate the ground on three sides... Rolling Eyes
Post #679399 17th Jan 2018 9:13pm
TOP5N

United Kingdom 
custom90steve wrote:
No Snorkel or RAI?

No, i dont have a snorkel
Post #679428 17th Jan 2018 9:49pm
TOP5N

United Kingdom 
Re: LED Lightbar and LED rear lights..
geobloke wrote:
TOP5N wrote:

Chris

Hi Chris. Planning on doing the same, although I have a cage to attach lights too. I did find these the other day and thought they would be excellent for mounting above the rear door;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M9I...UNSYPDJOVY

Be great as extra reversing light and for lighting up the rear whilst camping or surveying in Winter. Actually considering mounting a couple on the flanks of the 110 to illuminate the ground on three sides... Rolling Eyes

They do look nice, and a good price, my only concern would be how much light would they give out, and they are non directional. The good thing is, i reckon i could use double sided foam tape to fix them to the body, so would only have to drill one hole for the cable. My concern is drilling holes for mounting etc, then if the lights ever fail, would probably end up having to drill more holes for new lights and brackets.
Post #679431 17th Jan 2018 9:53pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Front LED bar you could take the cable between the top corner of front door between the seal and door frame then down the A pillar.

Please remember that a LED light bar has to be APPROVED for road use. An approval mark consists of country code, approval number, light function code and peak beam reference number.

A lot of the cheap LED bars are not approved despite what certain traders say about being road legal and E marked on sites such as ebay.

A quick look at those cheap lights and they do not appear to meet the electromagnetic compatability EC regulations/R10

Brendan
Post #679440 17th Jan 2018 10:02pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
If you do drill holes in the roof for cable stuffing glands then when you come to sell it just blank the holes with blind grommets and hope that a potential buyer does not investigate the roof too closely? Or, if you fit a ladder rack or roof rack to mount the lights to, fit a ladder and run the cables up that way?
I am of the opinion that my Defender is for me to enjoy using for the purposes I need it for and not just for me to keep it good for someone else to get the benefit of it later on down the line. If I had a need to drill holes in it to supply lights etc then that’s what I’d do - as neatly as possible though. I understand not everyone is of my thinking though.
Post #679465 17th Jan 2018 10:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1