↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > FrontRunner rack on Safety Devices cage - someone recently?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
FrontRunner rack on Safety Devices cage - someone recently?
Gidday,

Could have sworn I saw someone showing off a nice Front Runner rack on Safety Devices roll cage combo recently?

Front Runner say it's not offered off the shelf so I'd like to see how they did it / how easy it was.

The Safety Devices version is nice:

Click image to enlarge

... but the Front Runner mounting system certainly appeals. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #678635 15th Jan 2018 11:18am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi AM. Fitting a Frontrunner rack to the SD cage should not be too difficult. The FR rack sits on legs that are bolted to the rack using the slide and lock system. It would be very easy to utilise the SD cage brackets to mount the rack to. You may have to drill the rack, but it would then sit beautifully low to the cage.

Incidentally I have the 90 SD rack on my cage and it is bomb proof. I have always thought about an ally rack instead as it is quite a lot lighter than the steel tubular SD version, but it is just not a priority...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #678638 15th Jan 2018 11:33am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Lovely machine there, I tried to type this a few days ago but my post got lost on a browser refresh - anyhoo, I think we may end up with very similar vehicles ! Laughing (cairns blue?)

Nice to know they're as good as the cages, be good to have a rack that will let me use my roof tent from the rear (which the SD version I pictured will)

Off topic, but what rear wheel carrier are you using? I'm keen on one that can mount my Hi-Lift but single hinge only, doesn't appear to be a thing ...

And your sliders, brand/model? Do they have the LR style jacking points ?

I'm going to get the 2" receiver too Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #678640 15th Jan 2018 11:42am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Lovely machine there, I tried to type this a few days ago but my post got lost on a browser refresh - anyhoo, I think we may end up with very similar vehicles ! Laughing (cairns blue?)

Nice to know they're as good as the cages, be good to have a rack that will let me use my roof tent from the rear (which the SD version I pictured will)

Off topic, but what rear wheel carrier are you using? I'm keen on one that can mount my Hi-Lift but single hinge only, doesn't appear to be a thing ...

And your sliders, brand/model? Do they have the LR style jacking points ?

I'm going to get the 2" receiver too

Thank you very much. Miffy's a work in progress Rolling Eyes Close, Miffy is a TD5 so Oslo Blue. Needs a damned good clean and polish.. A job for the Spring.

The wheel carrier is a Safari Equip carrier (available through Brendan) which is on its second vehicle and has been shot blasted and plastic coated again in the last 6 years. Doing really well and a super piece of equipment.

http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/wheel-carrier-post-2002/ Option with hi-lift jack mount

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The only issues with them is that they are designed for standard tyre sizes (235/85/16 and 265/75/16 or 31") any bigger and the Hi-lift does not fit where it should. I have 285/75/16 BFG AT KO2s now and the jack lives with the waffle boards in the second row footwell (for now). I am working on a bracket to fit the jack above/behind the spare wheel, should be easy enough to do.

The jackable sills are Safari Equip (no I do not have shares in SE) as well and any part of it is jackable.

http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/safar...iders-110/

I will be talking to Brendan about getting a set of his step plates which have been designed fo these sills.

http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/tread-steps/

Since I am linking like a demon...

2" receiver - http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/safar...-receiver/

2" recovery adapter - http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/2-recovery-billet/
Post #678655 15th Jan 2018 12:43pm
MartnH

Australia 
the 6 point safety device comes with a roof basket
I have been using the roll cage as a roof rack anyway....
Post #678851 16th Jan 2018 6:28am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Same Thumbs Up But my roof tent preferably sits at the rear which means that area is no longer usable. Leaving a void and then the front area which then angles down, useable yes, but fiddling with straps, cross members, ply etc.

Fitting the tent is now about a two hour struggle also as my hands cannot reach the dang fasteners - solutions can be hacked, but a rack would solve it with no fiddle and net me the extra easily usable area in one hit.

Also nice that the front runner slats work a bit like a milling machine bed. In terms of basic rack design Safety Device's own RRL232 0SRC product is an option I'd consider too:

Click image to enlarge
 Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #678852 16th Jan 2018 6:38am
drinkdrinkdrop

United Kingdom 
There's some pics of one mounted here

https://www.trekoverland.com/blogs/vehicle...-roof-rack

you get a couple of close ups of the mounting brackets the used, might help you figure things out
Post #679277 17th Jan 2018 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1