↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front & Rear Axle Oil Change on Defender (80,000km) serv
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
Front & Rear Axle Oil Change on Defender (80,000km) serv
Hello,

Every since the warranty is expired I have stopped bringing it into the stealership and I partake it doing the maintenance myself. Prices over here are uncalled for especially for a simple setup as the Defenders which has been hassle free apart from changing the turbo hoses and intercooler hoses for more durable Entrec SS pipes.

Getting the parts are easy thanks to great websites that I can have most of the major off-the-shelf Items in 4 working days to my doorstep through the likes of DHL & Fedex.

Closing on 5 years anniversary and 80,000km I tackled the front and rear axle's for oil change along with the transfer case. I have replaced them with 75w90 Motul Fully synthetic and have used 6 Litres exactly. The considerable price saving on the Oil is 50% going with Motul in comparison to the one sold at the parts department at our local stealership. 6 Litres costs around 72.56 GBP and the local stealership sells the same litre's for around 144.

Next week it will undergo a major service which requires changing the oil, oil filter, diesel filter and checking of the coolant. An enjoyable Saturday afternoon of Defender maintenance.

Motul 75w90

Click image to enlarge

Front Axle

Click image to enlarge

TransferCase

Click image to enlarge

Rear Axle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #678144 13th Jan 2018 3:13pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It's very satisfying to do the work yourself. Not only do you save a fortune but you will know that the jobs have been done properly.
I've been servicing the 110 myself since it ran out of warranty. Even if you invest in a few tools to help with the tasks, it still works out a load cheaper than paying main dealer service costs, or even independents.
Post #678229 13th Jan 2018 8:29pm
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
Thank you indeed it is very enjoyable.

Next week will look into the gearbox and engine service, the clutch has a n annoying rattle sometimes due to the springs don’t know whether to drive and ignore it or go for a stronger unit.

Mods are tune and intercooler upgrade only. 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #678232 13th Jan 2018 8:41pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello SkyFallSilver

Good Luck with your 'Stage 2 Service'...I also used the Motul 75W90 Gear 300 Racing Oil for both Front and Rear Axles but also for the Gearbox and Transferbox, all done at 28K Miles / 45K KMs so 'early' for an all Transmission Oil Change, but 'as they are not making any more (Defenders) '... I though it would be a good step to take, next is 'planned' at around 60K Miles / 95K KMs.

As you say very much a DIY task, and there's lots of good advice on D2N to guide you through it... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #678238 13th Jan 2018 9:34pm
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
Excellent, nice to see someone pleased with Motul as well.

Thank you cant wait for next weekend 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #678240 13th Jan 2018 9:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1