Home > In Car Electronics > Mobile Phone Holder for 300Tdi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Mobile Phone Holder for 300Tdi
Looking for some help here please.

Have just had to change my phone having broken the screen on the last one.

I have changed the type of case I have and it now wont fit on my magnetic phone holder (silly mistake).

I was looking at the RAM mount options and this RAM X-Grip would appear to cater for my needs in terms of holding the phone.

The issue I have is which base to use and where to mount in a 300Tdi. I dont really want to drill the dash to fit a ball but similarly have not found a windscreen mount yet that will hold steady and constantly on the flat Defender windscreen.

I do have a mud console and am not opposed to screwing things into or through that but space is limited and a lot of the screw mounts seem quite large.

Click image to enlarge

Any ideas please.

ps. I don't really like the idea of the flexible pole thing that comes of the passenger seat bolt it looks like it will be too far back for navigation purposes. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #677953 12th Jan 2018 5:49pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I think there is a company called aukey who make stick on magnets that stick on the back of your phone or case Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #677956 12th Jan 2018 6:13pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Just found it. You could use the stick on bit for your new case and the holder in another vehicle maybe?

AUKEY HD-C5 Car Phone Holder Air Vent Magnetic Phone Mount for iPhone 7 / 6S / 6 / 5s / 5 , Samsung Note 8 / S8 , Nexus and Other Android , Windows Smartphones - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HSAE808/ref...wAbHXD0VD6 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #677957 12th Jan 2018 6:14pm
300TDi CSW Phil

Thanks chaps but that is similar to what I have already mounted on the top right of the MUD Console.

The problem is that my new phone case is a book style jobby so it needs a clamp type holder so that the front flap is held behind the phone.

I think if I can get the fin for the Tektrax holder off of the top right hand corner a RAM-B-347 should fit there. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #677963 12th Jan 2018 6:22pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: Mobile Phone Holder for 300Tdi
300TDi CSW Phil wrote:

I was looking at the RAM mount options and this RAM X-Grip would appear to cater for my needs in terms of holding the phone.

The issue I have is which base to use and where to mount in a 300Tdi. I dont really want to drill the dash to fit a ball but similarly have not found a windscreen mount yet that will hold steady and constantly on the flat Defender windscreen.

Any ideas please.

ps. I don't really like the idea of the flexible pole thing that comes of the passenger seat bolt it looks like it will be too far back for navigation purposes.

Definitely a vote for the RAM mount X-Grip. by far and away the best phone/device mount i have ever used. I bought the kit that included the suction mount and intended not to use this but hard mount instead. Not going to do that anymore as that suction mount is flipping' fantastic...

Sits perfectly above the dash and even fits the nanocom as well Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Photo if you want it.
Post #678037 12th Jan 2018 10:07pm
300TDi CSW Phil

A Photo to see how it looks with the suction mount would be good if you don't mind.

I assume it grips better than the garmin one then? My sat nav only needs the sun on it for a couple of minutes and its in the footwell again. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #678042 12th Jan 2018 10:26pm
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
I've got Brodit mounts in both my 300tdi's, they're adjustable up/ down and left/ right and don't move at all when tightened up. They're modular so you buy the bracket for your vehicle, the bracket for your phone and fit them together.

https://www.brodit.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobCh...gJCnPD_BwE
Post #678050 12th Jan 2018 10:55pm
300TDi CSW Phil

I've always liked the look of the Brodit system alas they do not make a holder for my phone and looking at the generic holders that they make not sure whether they would work with the case I have on my phone.

Next time I change phone I may have to go more mainstream so that I can get an otterbox type case which may help with the mounting situation but for now I have the Wileyfox Swift 2X and it will be staying for at least 18months so I need a solution that will work with it.

It looks like the best plan at the moment is the RAM Mount x grip.

The only remaining question is whether to use a screw on base on the corner of the mud console or a windscreen mount.

I am sceptical of suckers on the windscreen as all the ones I have had for other things (Satnav x 3 and dashcam) have always fallen off at random inopportune moments. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #678107 13th Jan 2018 10:52am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Phil, the smallest base is probably the diamond base plate.

Have a look here

Base size measurements 2.5" x 1.25". It looks like it might fit either side of your sat nav or on top of the mud console.

Other possible places include

1) Fuse box cover close to one of the bolts

2) Through the edge of shelf to left and below steering wheel

3) Side/top of Mud tray

4) If you have a cubby box through the front facing slope. We had a radio fitted there once on a diamond base.

If going through plastic use some large repair/penny washers 20/25 mm diameter.

Time to get tape measure out or make a cardboard template and see what suitable fixing places you can find.

HTH

Brendan
Post #678120 13th Jan 2018 12:30pm
300TDi CSW Phil

Brendan,

Thanks for your suggestions.. took me a while to work out where you saw the sat nav.. it is in fact the screen for the reversing camera. The Sat Nav is (or probably was I haven't looked yet today) suction mounted on the windscreen.

Ideally I would like the phone to sit as near as possible to where it used to which is where the round silver and gold dot with the rubber spider is on the top right corner of the MUD console.

I fear that with the screw/bolt on mounts that in that location I could not fit big penny washers.

Would a backing plate with corresponding holes to the mount and as big as possible so that it sandwiches the plastic be good enough? Possibly with the 4 hole base 2" x 1.7" as that would fit quite neatly on that corner.

Regards

Phil 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #678126 13th Jan 2018 1:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Phil, a backing plate would be fine. Does not have to be a precision engineered work of art.

How necessary is one? Who knows? I would just err on the side of caution and fit something to spread the forces etc.

Brendan
Post #678129 13th Jan 2018 1:16pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
As promised; Excuse the empty Mud Dash it will be filled in with gauges shortly... Rolling Eyes Only been empty for a year now...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I will be buying a second one shortly for the passenger side... many pointed comments for the wife about why does she not have a cool mount for her phone... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up
Post #678141 13th Jan 2018 2:03pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Please be careful about where you place items on the windscreen. Ram Mounts used to have a very useful page on what could be fixed where in regard to the windscreen. Can not readily find it now. Big Cry

C & U regulations, highway code etc comments on obstruction of forward vision through windscreen by stickers/sat nav/ air fresheners etc.

From MOT Testers section 8.3

Quote:

Where items are present in the driver’s view (such
as a sat nav, air freshener etc) that would justify a
Reason for Rejection, the tester may, at their
discretion, remove the items prior to the inspection.
This fact should be noted on an Advisory Notice.

Now IIRC anything above 40mm higher then the normal parking position of the drivers windscreen wiper is a NO NO.

Have seen drivers sticking their sat nav bang in the middle of the zone A of the windscreen wipers which would be a major obstruction of forward vision. In the event of a collision then it would be Banging Head

Just be careful o the positioning of those phones and sat navs.

Brendan
Post #678157 13th Jan 2018 3:05pm
300TDi CSW Phil

Thanks for the pics geobloke.

Brendan, I didn't realise there were actually rules laid down but having seen the photo's above I do not want mine anywhere near that high up.

My old system used to stick up about an inch over the top of the dash and didn't impinge on the windscreen view at all.

My Sat Nav is as low as I can get it in the middle of the screen and the dash cam is about as tight in behind the rear view mirror as possible.

When placing these bits I have tried to maintain all the useable viewing area off the windscreen, however, the sat nav does obscure part of my bonnet so I'll have to keep an eye out for low flying things Rolling with laughter 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #678159 13th Jan 2018 3:22pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Brendan. I have just had to run out to Miffy to check how high the mount is, I was pretty sure it did not obscure any vision of the road...

From eye height;

Click image to enlarge

Could be lowered a tad, but is well inside of the area masked by the bonnet. Trouble is there is not a great deal of room on the Defender dash for satnavs and parking cameras etc. Definitely below 40mm above the parked position of the wipers.

Actually the position of that boost gauge, albeit temporary, is a terrible place to put anything...
Post #678183 13th Jan 2018 5:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>