↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > School me on rear towing/recovery point options - so many!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
School me on rear towing/recovery point options - so many!
Gidday,

So I've been trying to make my 110 a do everything vehicle: off-roader, expeditioner, workhorse, family station wagon - although the Defender is ideally suited to this there are always compromises.

To attend local 4x4 club runs I needed a rear recovery point so I simply bolted a Dixon-Bate recover hitch directly to the cross member to get me rolling:

Click image to enlarge

However, two days ago I was left red-faced by someone turning up expecting me to have a tow ball at the ready Embarassed Shocked

So, I'd like to remove the current basic rear point, buy another and install both on the front to make it full Camel Trophy style ready:

Click image to enlarge

But this leaves the rear still to attend to. I need a rear recovery point and a tow ball - and ideally would like to retain an optimised departure angle. I don't mind a bit of fiddling swapping out parts between uses, (parts kept in vehicle), but not the whole bracket/assembly as it's a pain to keep onboard and time consuming to fit.

I don't tow much, and when I do I'm seeing just basic trailers, trailer mounted generators and similar. Nothing like some of the pictures I've seen you guys haul!

What are the options?

I see that Dixon Bate make pin/ball combos:

But what about the actual mounting plate? and other manufacturers?

Looking forward to learning about your rig and why you like it, or even why you dislike it and what you're planning on replacing it with.. Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Last edited by agentmulder on 12th Jan 2018 9:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #678026 12th Jan 2018 9:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If you want to use a tow ball, how it's mounted will depend to a large extent on what's legal in your part of the world. For example, are two inch receivers as used in the US available? If so, it's possible to get mounts for those that fit just under the rear cross member and then a plug-in drop plate to present a tow ball an a suitable height. When you want to play, swap the drop plate for a recovery point and you're good to go.

Those receivers aren't road legal for lots of vehicles in the UK so the best solution for those needing an easy way to swap between different types of towing equipment is a Dixon Bate ladder and slider set-up, but the fixed part does reduce the departure angle.

You used to be able to buy a tank guard with an interchangeable drop plate mount on it, originally designed by Southdown Engineering, but I don't think they're available anymore unfortunately. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #678027 12th Jan 2018 9:34pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I'm NZ based, I'll have to have a look at the rules.

I do know that while we specify everything to the nth degree, when it comes to actual checks by the NZTA they can be pretty casual. On my last WOF (your MOT), they ticked 'sun visors installed' even though I had forgotten to reinstall them after removing the headlining... Also, they don't bat an eyelid at the roll cage. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #678029 12th Jan 2018 9:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Like you say AM it is always a compromise. The best solutions I have found for this problem are either a Southdown tank guard (inc. tow plate and separate recovery adapter) or as I have now the Safari Equip 2" receiver (inc tow plate and separate recovery adapter) which is tuck nicely up out of the way.

These two provide the absolute best of all worlds; ability to tow and recover easily without sacrificing departure angle.

I will dig out the photos of Miffy with the Southdown tank guard and safari equip 2" for you if you wish. She has had both.

Coming to think of it I believe Terrafirma do a version of the Southdown tank guard now as well. Might be worth a look.

Click image to enlarge
Post #678031 12th Jan 2018 9:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Actually that is a terrible photo, will find another... Rolling Eyes
Post #678032 12th Jan 2018 9:42pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Post #678054 12th Jan 2018 11:27pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Jate rings? Should be plenty info on here about them. Fit them front and rear to give you good recovery points.
Post #678056 12th Jan 2018 11:30pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I would say the 2 inch receiver with a drop plate with the Dixon bate to cover trailer jobs and the Billet receiver for recoveries would tick all the right boxes.
Post #678075 13th Jan 2018 6:14am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
You should never recover from a tow ball because the strap is not restrained on it and can slip off.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #678090 13th Jan 2018 9:17am
leeds

United Kingdom 
AM, first check what the local regulations are for towing equipment in NZ also is your vehicle classified as a commercial vehicle or as a car. In the UK I have been told but not checked it out that the regulations have changed for towing equipment on commercials in the UK. (Oh joy of joys!)

The original Southdown tank guard had a detachable drop plate and a recovery eye. We have this system fitted to our red 110 300 TDi. Cutting a long story short, Terrafirma took over the Southdown name. The Southdown tank guard + drop plate is TF923 and is listed on the Terrafirma website. However sites such as Craddocks says no longer available. IF going down this route I would suggest you get confirmation that any trader has one physically on their shelves.

I can not quickly find any reference to the recovery eye to fit the Southdown tank guard. So just check things out carefully.

Safari Equip 2" receiver is not sold as type approved towing equipment and is readily available with a drop plate and recovery billet. We have had special adaptors made including a step and extension pieces. If not readily available in NZ please drop me an email and we can supply.

On the face of it the 2" receiver looks the most suitable thing for your intended use.

Just be aware that the bracing arms going back to the chassis rails might interfere with a tank guard.

HTH

Brendan
Post #678127 13th Jan 2018 1:10pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
As posted above - Jate rings are a good way to go.

What you have at the back is far better than a tow ball. It looks like the drop plate has been removed previously & you already have angle plate in place on the lower edge of the rear crossmember.

I don't think the standard front bumper is suitable to fit the Camel Trophy solution to.
Post #678135 13th Jan 2018 1:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I agree that jate rings are good and strong, traditional, Camel, military... There is a huge but though and it is one of those things that really annoyed me when I had them. If you do not attach a strop or bridle before getting stuck in the large muddy cold puddle or bellied out in a bog someone (and that will be you) will have to get very very wet to attach the recovery rope or winch cable... and it is a long way under the rear end of a 110/130 to reach them...

Benefit is they are cheap as chips...

My jate rings are hanging in the garage and have done for nearly 8 years now. Use one as a as a towel rail and the other has lengths of tubing and conduit on it Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up
Post #678145 13th Jan 2018 2:14pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The OP said

Quote:

I need a rear recovery point and a tow ball - and ideally would like to retain an optimised departure angle. I don't mind a bit of fiddling swapping out parts between uses, (parts kept in vehicle),

JATE rings will not provide an anchorage for a tow ball!

A 2" receiver will, pull a 16mm pin out fit a recovery billet/nato hitch/drop plate etc. What other commercially available system will fit the OP requirements?

On our red 110 we have the Southdown tank guard with tow plate and recovery eye (which on the face of it, this system does not seem to be currently available). However I do not tend to use that recovery eye as it is low down but have two welded in recovery eyes either side of the rear cross member installed winch which are more readily accessible! Unfortunately this sort of system is not a readily available commercial system.

Brendan
Post #678153 13th Jan 2018 2:44pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
You are not wrong Brendan, Southdown seem to have stopped selling the tank guard, but Terrafirma have a "carbon copy" of it;

http://www.terrafirma4x4.com/products_php.php?cat=31&grp=204

I should warn you that the Southdown and I assume Terrafirma tank guard are super heavy, plus the company stated that the guard was not for use with an anti-roll bar.

I would still go for the Safari Equip 2" receiver, best of all worlds...

Just found a series of photos from when I fitted the Southdown guard;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #678164 13th Jan 2018 3:52pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Safari Equip 2" receiver for me (billet and shackle not shown).

Note the terrible powder coat on the Allisport wheel carrier, the only fault with this otherwise excellent product. Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #678170 13th Jan 2018 4:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>