↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Rattle and Klonk - are they damaging?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GrouseII

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Coniston Green
Rattle and Klonk - are they damaging?
Hi

I bought a 2008 Defender 90 Puma2.4 (60k on clock) which initially went like a rocket, ran smooth no rattle, but belched black smoke. I had the ECU blanked and remapped to standard LR spec .. i was told.

1. Since the remap it rattles like a classic old diesel - don't mind this too much but is it damaging ie some sort of pre-ignition?

2. When driving and changing up from 4th to 5th and less so from 5th to 6th I get a noticeable 'klonk' from the rear transmission. If I dab the accelerator as I am changing up the klonk is much less. I don't mind this either but could it be damaging in the long term?

Many thanks and look forward to the greater wisdom of the group Smile

Grouse
Post #677133 9th Jan 2018 10:27am
Romadog

Sounds like bush wear - most likely the a-frame bush on top of rear axle, but would check all from experience Thumbs Up
Post #677229 9th Jan 2018 5:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re the rattle it might be worth carrying out a fuel pump relearn cycle, and an injector relearn cycle (a diagnostic tool in needed for both of these). If either is out of calibration, the injectors can be very rattly. That being said, the standard factory map is pretty rattly anyway, my engine became noticeably quieter when Pete Bell at BAS worked his magic on it. If your remap smoked, it must have been a pretty poor quality one (or something else is failing).

The clonk could, as Romadog says, be the 'A'-frame balljoint, but could equally be backlash anywhere in the driveline from clutch to drive flanges. Due to the enormous appetite that Puma Defenders have for transmission components, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the various wear points in the driveline. If anything wears to the point of failure, you risk losing drive completely, and there is never a good time for this to happen!
Post #677240 9th Jan 2018 6:15pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I had the ECU blanked and remapped to standard LR spec

/\ I don't think so. I presume it was the egr blanked and not the ecu - in which case in ecu in standard LR spec would show up an ecu fault on the dash.

I guess the start point is to understand what you actually have? good luck.
Post #677325 9th Jan 2018 10:17pm
GrouseII

Thanks Caterham

Excuse my ignorance, Yes the EGU was blanked and the ECU remapped to exclude it and prevent the engine fault light coming on on the dash.

Thanks Romadog and Blackwolf. Although I like wielding a spanner or two these things sound like a more professional requirement so I guess I will need to get my wallet out :'( ... again!

Grouse
Post #677332 9th Jan 2018 10:31pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
aha - and not a LR map in that case.

might be worth considering the possibility of the egr passing and the calibration therefore not working correctly. if the calibration / map thinks the egr is 'blanked' (ie closed off by the map but not physically blanked off) but is passing exhaust gases it might not be getting the amount air it's expecting?
Post #677336 9th Jan 2018 10:38pm
GrouseII

hmmm, ok this is way beyond my skills.

Any thoughts as to the correct questions to put to my mechanic without suggesting he cocked it up and then peeing him off. He originally said he would make a physical plate to blank it.

Grouse
Post #677341 9th Jan 2018 10:45pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I bag on about the VCV relearn and pilot correction a lot and how it really cleans up the sound (and presumably the combustion!), it's nice to see that I'm not the only one that has had noteworthy improvement Thumbs Up

Talk to your mechanic about it, BAS suggests it's a pre req for his remap (or any fueling related changes).. Although that could be seen as Pete trying to upsell his customers to the diagnostic tool functionally, in the same breath it really does make sense to only remap vehicles that are in a good state right? In my case it was night and day difference, just the pilot correction on its own.

Audible clunks in my case were the drive flanges to half shaft/CV connection. Even with that all replaced I became attuned to any noise, and I tells ya, there's always something Laughing .

Diffs, UJs, swivel pins, A-frame, ARB/steering joints, bushes, brake pad click clack, chassis to body creaks, clutch springs, random loose brackets in the engine bay, door latch mechanisms, perpetually random yet persistent creaks eminating from the dash, the supposedly ungreased output shaft that I've been waiting to Censored itself for 75000mi now Laughing Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #677370 10th Jan 2018 8:58am
GrouseII

Thanks agentmulder

Just wanted to say thanks and not appear rude by not replying for ages .... it will be a while before I brave my mechanic while my Landy budget accrues enough for such conversations

Meantime I enjoy the Landy tune of rattle and clonk for a bit longer Smile

Grouse
Post #681826 26th Jan 2018 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1