↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Upgrade options for driveability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
^Plug and play for the most part, a little bit of a fiddle sometimes with unhelpful error messages (keeping temps up whilst doing procedures was mine) but it's all been discussed on the forums enough that you'll get by no worries! Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #676924 8th Jan 2018 6:52pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've not done the remap myself, but I've watched the video on the BAS website and looks pretty easy. It should just be a case of plugging in and follow instructions on Apple or Android device, it guides you through it.

See video for Apple here https://bellautoservices.co.uk/help-faq/ba...plication/

Good luck, well worth it! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #677151 9th Jan 2018 11:59am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It's not quite plug and play, but not far off.

On first receipt of the tool you have to extract some settings from the ECU using the tool and the BAS android or iPhone app.
Then email these to Pete at BAS. If your phone supports emailing then the app creates the email for you so it's a doddle to send. If not I think you have to copy the data into an email manually.
Once Pete gets the setting data he creates the map that you have purchased and loads it onto his server.
You then transfer the map onto the tool from your laptop/desktop with a USB lead, using the BAS Updater software that is downloaded from a link provided.
Once the map is on the tool, you can then go back to the vehicle and plug in the tool again. The option to remap the ECU is now available on the phone app, along with a BAS standard map which you can always revert to if needed.

The above is from memory as I went through the process a week or two before Christmas, so I may have forgotten something.
Post #677256 9th Jan 2018 7:36pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Thanks again all. I've put it on hold for a bit as I seem to be accumulating stuff in the garage that I need to fit to the new one but haven't had time to, plus other domestic jobs in the same category Laughing but will come back to it in a month or two assuming the sun stops shining and I get some garage time.

Hi to those who know me from LR4x4 Thumbs Up
Post #683777 3rd Feb 2018 10:49am
leonski

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Another vote for a BAS remap, Pete is a great chap and really knows his stuff.
Also fitted the high flow intercooler as it would have been rude not too.

It absolutely transformed the 110 and made it so much nicer to drive.
Admittedly it was a pig before!
Post #683858 3rd Feb 2018 5:15pm
Sonarmender

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
No offense intended but the tenor of the first post suggests that your mind is made up and nothing will make you enjoy this vehicle. I would suggest that you sell it and buy something else altogether!

Agree totally! Surely a test drive was undertaken before purchasing, any more drips call a plumber Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter You only have one life, live it....forget the cost.
90XS Hardtop
Post #683913 3rd Feb 2018 9:27pm
BogMonster

Is anybody a plumber? Drip located above ^ Rolling Eyes
Post #684015 4th Feb 2018 11:01am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Sonarmender wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
No offense intended but the tenor of the first post suggests that your mind is made up and nothing will make you enjoy this vehicle. I would suggest that you sell it and buy something else altogether!

Agree totally! Surely a test drive was undertaken before purchasing, any more drips call a plumber Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I gave up on this post, as it appeared the OP was only looking for confirmation of their own opinion and already knew everything.
Post #684019 4th Feb 2018 11:20am
salar76

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
Urban?
Having put any ideas of reasonable performance to the back of my mind when I bought my Defender, a friend took me out in his Urban, which included suspension lowering and remap. Needless to say it was night and day difference to my standard spec 2.2 Puma and so ‘remap’ has been added to the to-do list.

I see a lot of support on the forum for the BAS remap - any thoughts on the pros and cons of the Urban against this?

Thanks
Post #684160 4th Feb 2018 9:17pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Who does Urban remaps? Do they do them in-house? I had a feeling they used Alive? Not sure.

I'd happily use BAS, Alive, IRB or Empire. Speak to them all, go with your gut feel. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #684172 4th Feb 2018 9:30pm
salar76

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
Thanks James - will check that out
Post #684184 4th Feb 2018 9:45pm
BogMonster

zsd-puma wrote:

I gave up on this post, as it appeared the OP was only looking for confirmation of their own opinion and already knew everything.

As it happens, after 15 years in the business of selling them and managing a dealership, your closing assertion isn't that wide of the mark, but the subject of ECU modification represented a gap in my experience, hence the questions.

I've contacted BAS and that's what I'll be going for in due course as I need the ability to do it remotely.

Thanks to those who posted useful replies Thumbs Up
Post #684226 5th Feb 2018 12:49am
diduan

Bulgaria 
I am happy with it the way it is, even in heavy street traffic. I get used to the low 1st gear and just know that i have to wait a bit before i can put second. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #684251 5th Feb 2018 9:29am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
BogMonster wrote:
zsd-puma wrote:

As it happens, after 15 years in the business of selling them and managing a dealership, your closing assertion isn't that wide of the mark, but the subject of ECU modification represented a gap in my experience, hence the questions.

I've contacted BAS and that's what I'll be going for in due course as I need the ability to do it remotely.

Thanks to those who posted useful replies Thumbs Up

There are plenty of people on here with far more experience than yourself then, who are/were more than willing to give up their time to help. But your frankly arrogant attitude hasn't won you any friends. You say you ran a dealership, that explains a lot. There are many times when people have come here when their dealer has simply told them "They're all like that sir". If yours is as bad to drive as you say then it seems you just told yourself "they're all like that", presumably you know so much you didn't even bother to test drive the car before you bought it. Clearly they're not "all like that" and there's something wrong with yours but you weren't even willing to entertain the possibility. Remaps can indeed improve the way a car drives, but there's little point remapping a car that has something wrong with it to begin with, because at best you'll simply be masking the underlying problem.
Post #684262 5th Feb 2018 11:25am
BogMonster

After much pondering and a few 'I'm definitely going to sell it' moments over the last six months, I decided to try a BAS remap. Went for the 150bhp Autobiography tune, as with relatively low speed limits here the standard engine isn't really lacking on the power front.

I came back from a week's holiday to find the RRC waiting for me on Friday, so yesterday's job was to try it. A couple of minor issues with installation were swiftly resolved by Pete via email (on a Saturday afternoon/evening, top man as I wasn't expecting anything back until Monday) and then off for a run.

The difference is immediately apparent - the engine just feels more peppy and responsive in high range, even though the power increase is not that dramatic on the 150 upgrade. The irritating and slightly random delays/damping on the throttle have all gone. But the real difference is driveability at light throttle settings in 2nd and 3rd gears around town. Before, you'd find the only way to stop the thing building up a slight driveline shunt on very light throttle settings was to wedge your foot against the side of the footwell - after the remap, I couldn't even provoke that when I was trying. It feels like a totally different vehicle to drive. Still unfortunately got the slightly crunchy gearchange, but a remap isn't going to sort that.

Two other boxes in the garage are a Clutchfix slightly heavier duty clutch, and an Ashcroft output shaft kit, so we'll see what those do, with 9000 miles on it both are now into the zone of possible failure based on experience of other owners I know. I can hear a faint 'clack' from the back of the gearbox sometimes, which reminds me a lot of worn splines on the output shaft of an old R380, so I have a feeling that the output shaft might be money well spent.

Not really tried low range off road yet, but the alternative is to do what I'd done previously and just unplug the high-low sensor, which defaults the ECU to the high range tune.

But the remap - I read another post saying something like 'if this is the only thing you ever do to a Puma, do it'. I completely agree - I have no idea what Mr Bell does to the inner thoughts of the Ford motor, but he does it bloody well Thumbs Up ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #742116 25th Nov 2018 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>