Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Relay Mounting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
ChrisCM wrote:
Hi Gilarion,

Problem (I see) with these is that the Boomslang kit comes with rather chunky relay holders/connection blocks so using this type of holder means that the relay blades are carrying the weight/stress of the holders/connectors and wiring. If wiring without the Boomslang kit and connecting direct to the relays then they would be ideal.

I have fitted a Boomslang loom and used those holders from eBay that I bolted to a metal plate which I then bolted to the top lip of the nearside wing. I can assure you that once the relays are fastened securely to a fixing plate you will have no stress worries about the weight of the wiring.
I will take a picture of the set up I made once this awful weather stops at present I have sleet, wind and god know's what else blowing outside the house. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #675754 4th Jan 2018 3:52pm
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Hi Gilarion,

Snap on the weather!

Hope to get my instal done on Sunday, No rain (according to the BBC)!

I’ll post what I do also.

Did you go to the battery or alternator stud?

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #675772 4th Jan 2018 4:40pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
For me, it was the battery. Reason being is that the loom has a fuse on the live wire and it is much easier to change should the need arise in the battery box than struggling under the car. its less of a problem if you remove the fuse link connectors using a tiny screwdriver to press down on the release tags to make passing it through the battery box grommet easier then reassemble.
Though where you draw the power from is up to you, the alternator route is I feel more difficult. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #675807 4th Jan 2018 6:12pm
Baz8046

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
There is no advantage to using the alternator it was just the easiest location for me to take power.
With the engine cover off it’s easily accessible and leaves the fuse easy to get to.
I ran the second headlight plug and the supply cable back across the front and then up to the alternator.
I have quite a lot of extra kit in my battery box already. Defender Td5 Commercial 2002
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 2005
Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark 2016
Post #675864 4th Jan 2018 8:02pm
ChrisCM

Thanks Guys,

I think I’ll go for the battery box, thanks for the tip re the fuse holder Gilarion.

Post #675932 4th Jan 2018 10:43pm
ChrisCM

Well, got it fitted yesterday. I ended up making a strap/bracket from a piece of ally strip and some ss strapping bolted to the air con “thingy” My idea of using a box didn’t work, no where to mount it given the rather short wires on the loom.

Click image to enlarge

I also noted, when I took the fuse box to bits to get it through the grommet into the seat box that one of the crimps to the fuse holder spade terminals had not been crimped properly, the crimper had caught the cable on the insulation but the main crimp on the conductor was half open. I soldered this (not easy at 0°) and all appears well. This could well be the cause of the overheating fuse holders that have been reported on these looms.

Unfortunately I couldn’t finish off the job as when I took the headlights out the retaining rings literally fell to bits in my hands, so ordered some ss ones from Brendan at 4x4 Overlander, hopefully they will be delivered tomorrow.

Post #676850 8th Jan 2018 12:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12