↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Drone regulations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
camelman

United Kingdom 
Drone regulations
Moved this from a previous thread so as not to hijack a ForSale thread...

jamdesignandbuild wrote:
im tempted. would i need a licence to use this in town to look at roofs etc for work

Yep, you need a (PfCO) "Permission for Commerical Operations" from the CAA to do any sort of commercial work with a drone.
It costs anywhere between £1000 and £1500 to get and involves a 2-3 day training course with a practical flight assessment.
You then have to submit a comprehensive "Operations Manual" to the CAA for approval along with proof of commercial flight insurance (not cheap) before they award the 'PfCO".

I went through this process last year .

Without the PfCO the rules are quite restrictive:

No flying within 150 metres (horizontally) of a congested area (anywhere used for residential, business or 'leisure' activities).
No flying within 50m of any structure, building or person not under your direct control.
Must be within 500m AND line of sight of the pilot at all times.
No higher than 400ft above ground level
Must have permission of the landowner for take off / landing.
Mustn't flying in controlled airspace without permission from Air Traffic Control.
No night flying.

As you can see from the above it's pretty restrictive and most people flying their drones are regularly breaching at least the 1st couple of those.

The PfCO doesn't really give you much more flexibility other than relaxing the 'congested' area rule subject to you operating in accordance with your operations manual.
It is possible to get clearance to work to within 10m of buildings, structures, vehicles and people not under your control but this requires further approvals and the insurance goes up again!!

The CAA now go through youtube drone footage and chase up pilots who fly illegally and then post the footage and there have been a few cases now of people being fined up to £5000 for breaching the regs.

In addition, many organisations also prohibit flying of drones from their land (e.g. Peak District National Park, National Trust, Natural England) without prior consent.

I'm currently running a DJI Phantom 4 Pro, a Mavic Pro and an INSPIRE 2 which I've just taken delivery of.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by camelman on 3rd Jan 2018 4:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #675365 3rd Jan 2018 1:18pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
There are also plans to implement licensing for private users:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42126150
Post #675396 3rd Jan 2018 2:49pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Gosh, I never knew it was so complicated! Makes interesting reading.

Is it nosey to ask what your line of work is needing all the drones? Photography?

Still a fantastic photo! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #675402 3rd Jan 2018 3:13pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
The regulations are pretty complicated as they sit under the Air Navigation Order which is comprehensive and drone use is covered in a number of sections of it. In addition to this, there are the privacy and data protection concerns which drive a lot of the rules.

At the end of the day it boils down to common sense, keep away from built up areas, buildings, vehicles and people and keep the drone in sight so if you can see if there are any other airspace users (low flying helicopters / aircraft, paragliders ) or physical hazards (e.q. powerlines).

I know a lot of people post footage of the drone following their car but I can't see how you can maintain visual awareness of your surroundings if you're in the vehicle, particularly if the drone is following you from behind and you're driving the car. 
Post #675403 3rd Jan 2018 3:28pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
This seems a great Catch 22 type regulation. " (anywhere used for residential, business or 'leisure' activities). "

As if you are flying for non commercial reasons it is a leisure activity. So by being able to fly there it is prohibited you do fly there.

Are the rules for RC aircraft and drones exactly the same now? 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #675454 3rd Jan 2018 6:15pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Hi Ramsay, the CAA definition of a congested area is "any area which is substantially used for residential, commercial, industrial or recreational purposes", it therefore covers parks. sports grounds etc.

It is essentially the same rules that have been applied to RC aircraft for a number of years, however, as most if not all drones now carry cameras, they now come under the 'surveillance aircraft' definition which is much stricter (hence the 150m / 50m rules). 
Post #675458 3rd Jan 2018 6:20pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Seems to me that the system encourages many drone users to operate outside of the current rules ; a bit like CB radio in the early days but without some of the potential dangers.
If we take some approx costs ( from my limited research )
Drone £1000
Course £1000+ vat
Insurance £450 +...
CAA licence £112 + vat ( min)

The above are possibly ok for a commercial operation but for an amateur who wants to take some video at say an outdoor wedding or a local fete the above isn’t going to work.

So now you have a group who operate totally outside the law ; hardly a basis for regulation.
There needs to be a system that works for everyone .
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #675633 4th Jan 2018 9:14am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Chopperone: I get that there is a lot of regulation, however the vast majority of it applies equally to both commercial and non commercial operators and is primarily there for safety and privacy.

e.g. Neither commercial or 'leisure' operators are allowed to fly within 50m of buildings, people or vehicles not under their control.

If you want to film at an outdoor wedding therefore, whether for money or not, you'd need to show that the guests at the wedding were under your control and you had permission from the land owners to fly within 50m of any buildings or structures.

Similarly, neither are allowed to fly in controlled airspace without air traffic control consent.
As an example, most of the Derby area is in controlled airspace from the surface upwards due to the proximity of East Midlands airport. If you want to fly in that area, whether commercially or not, you need explicit permission from ATC.

With regards to the costs, the drone has to be purchased whether commercial or not so it's really down to the insurance and training.

The training / certification shows to clients that you (should!) know what you're doing and are aware of the safety implications.

The insurance is there for when your drone decides to malfunction at 400ft and drop on the brides head or has a battery fire and torches the marquee.... 
Post #675645 4th Jan 2018 10:50am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
I understand CAS ( I used to have a Pilots licence) & whilst part of Derby comes under East Mids there is a greater part of it not covered.
I also own my own land & none of it is within controlled air space although aircraft from East Mids transit in/out at approx 8000 ft + .
I also understand air law albeit a bit rusty.

Just seems wrong that there isn't more effort being made to bring drone pilots onside rather than being a bit more accepting of the situation & allowing people to register their drones on a amateur basis. May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #675789 4th Jan 2018 6:27pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Much easier when your a proper pilot...just apply to the CAA, demonstrate practical handling of the drone weight required and boom, your ok...I suppose the £40k of flight training probably is a negative Rolling with laughter but it is a useful route for ppl to atpl licence holders Mike
Post #675957 5th Jan 2018 1:06am
camelman

United Kingdom 
HI Mse, inndeed a private pilots license exempts you from one day of the 3 day course and saves you a few hundred quid ( https://uav-air.com/drone-courses/abbreviated-drone-course )

You still need the flight test, Operations Manual and Insurance to fly commerically though.

A quick link to what can happen if it goes wrong: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-34936739

Fly safe! 
Post #676301 6th Jan 2018 11:13am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
According to the CAA and ive done it (as an ATPL) you only need to demonstrate handling of a drone of that weight - thats just some independently verified flight test Thumbs Up ...not really to the level of worry of an IR Multi flight test though, anyone half competent and sensible can do it... even though my union (BALPA) make a big deal about drones - its not really an issue.

Funny things that the providers of these "courses" arent really regulated anywhere near the standards of a commercial flight school or those of us with FI certificates, even though they make out they are!! it is an excuse to charge people largely and big up the activity (but thats the same in many areas!)

Ops manual inst too hard for anyone involved in real flying - you want to see a commercial flight operations manual! insurance - well thats just a policy, like all commercial insurance, providers, etc etc etc vary.

Most importantly - adhere to air law, apply some common sense and you'll be fine Mike
Post #676439 6th Jan 2018 8:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1