Home > Wheels & Tyres > Spare Wheel Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stephan123

United Kingdom 
Spare Wheel Security
Hi everyone,

I have just invested in a set of Bowler wheels and want to make sure the spare wheel doesn't get pinched. Right now I'm thinking the best course of action is to secure it with three different locking wheel nuts. I will use the standard LR locking nut along with two others though I am not sure where to source them from. Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Post #675214 2nd Jan 2018 7:23pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

You can get the a lock that looks like a large washer and then attach a padlock to it. This idea..

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post436139.html

Thing is its not that nice to look at? I have done as you are thining on my Sawtooth alloys 2 sets of different locking wheel nuts. Any Landrover accessories shop should have these or where you purchased the alloys from?

cheers
Post #675218 2nd Jan 2018 7:32pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Standard security nuts? Enter the all round locking wheel nut remover on sites like ebay.

So you will have to go for a completely different uncommon size in the UK to avoid the use of these tools!

A good quality chain and padlock.

Or something like THIS

Any lock used on spare wheel you will need to lubricate and use every few months so that it does not seize up.

Brendan
Post #675289 2nd Jan 2018 11:16pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
By using three different locking wheel nuts you will no doubt deter the opportunist thief but unfortunately not the professional thief who, as Brendan rightly says can buy himself a set of removal tools for less than £200. I know that padlocks look unsightly but that's maybe what you are left with if you want to secure your wheel.

I think I would opt for locking wheel nuts to deter the opportunist scumbag. If a professional really wants to get his hands on your spare wheel I'm sure he take the other four at the same time! Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #675324 3rd Jan 2018 8:58am
leeds

United Kingdom 
If using a chain and padlock use some pipe wrap around chain to help prevent marking an expensive alloy wheel.

A wheel cover will disguise what exactly the spare wheel is. It is a scabby steel rim or an expensive alloy rim. Also hides the security measures used on spare wheel from a casual viewer.

Brendan
Post #675326 3rd Jan 2018 9:15am
V8GPC

United Kingdom 
Have to agree with discomog

Locking wheel nuts are now pretty pointless. My defender came with a set of Twisted Style Manta alloys with a set fitted; but the key was lost. a £10 locking wheel nut remover from eBay removed all 5 of them in 30 mins (first attempt for me with the tool); the genuine LR locking wheel nuts only have about 8 variations and a full set costs about £80. Anyone who wants them can easy take a quick photo with a mobile and for less than £10 buy just the correct one. (very quick and very quiet!)

The best looking items are those that have a nice fitted hub and lock. (although pad locks aren't undefeatable); the noise and access to cut would deter the opportunist.
Post #675490 3rd Jan 2018 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1