↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Chassis length.. different for Tdi vs Td5?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

Chassis length.. different for Tdi vs Td5?
Hi folks,
So, another question I came across while doing the spots.

When I had my first galv chassis fitted - from the original Tdi one to (possibly) a Td5 one - I remember thinking that it was about an inch shorter at the front. I had issues getting the bolts back in for the A bar, and had to cut sections out of the grill to put the original spot lights back on.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It might not actually have been a Td5 chassis (it didn't have the hole in the rear crossmember for the towing electrics) but it was certainly shorter at the front. I always wondered if maybe this had caused other issues with axle alignment etc - even though I tell myself it couldn't really, or stuff wouldn't work. But it was definitely shorter at the front.

It's only really an issue now because I'm getting a second galved chassis - definitely a Td5 one this time and I'm curious what to expect.

Is 'short chassis' a thing, and if so what's the story?

Thanks

DOnald Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #674188 29th Dec 2017 7:47pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ooo good question. I have no idea, but I have noticed that the bumper on my 200TDi sits much much closer to the front wings than the one on the TD5... 1/2" or so...
Post #674249 29th Dec 2017 10:21pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Isn't this just the difference between a genuine chassis and a pattern one. Most galv ones are pattern chassis rather than genuine ones that have been galvanised?
Post #674255 29th Dec 2017 10:29pm
donmacn

Thanks guys,

I thought the Marsland chassis were more or less genuine? As I've said elsewhere, a mate had a Marsland chassis fitted to his 110 just a few months before I did mine, which was a Richards I think. His was great. I become more and more convinced that mine was a "Friday afternoon" job, or a second quality. Maybe the shorter front dumb irons are part of that?

I have had about 14 years out of it, and it probably would go on for another two or three before needing some serious welding. I don't what's the expected lifespan of a galved chassis, but I'd have expected a bit more than that?

geobloke wrote:
Ooo good question. I have no idea, but I have noticed that the bumper on my 200TDi sits much much closer to the front wings than the one on the TD5... 1/2" or so...

....but that's the other way round! I'd been wondering if the TD5 was shorter, not the Tdi.... Maybe it's one of these LR 'manufacturing tolerance' issues..? Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #674355 30th Dec 2017 10:59am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
the marsland one is an OEM chassis. Made by the same people (GKN) who make the ones for LR. Marsland buy them, cut off the engine mounts and put your choice on there, then galv.

The marsland ones are all puma/td5 spec with the hole in the crossmember, so maybe theres is something in it, that the tdi ones are slightly different. They are certainly quite different in other ways.
Post #674423 30th Dec 2017 5:27pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
They’re all the same size, only differences are in various mounts/brackets/outriggers etc.

Tolerances along the vehicle can easily add up to 1/2” or more so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Marsland ones are made by GKN as above, although apparently they’re now making them by hand rather than with robots.
Post #674763 31st Dec 2017 6:55pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
apparently they’re now making them by hand rather than with robots.

Wouldnt surprise me, the robots were simply there to speedup and reduce costs of volume production. For small infrequent runs, it probably takes longer to setup and calibrate the robot than do it by hand.

I expect they still use the same jigs.
Post #674782 31st Dec 2017 7:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1