↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Coolant leak?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Djcla

United Kingdom 
I think reading your post my issue is around number 4 , as the leaver in car does not pull the inner cable as it seems to be too long and just folds up per my picture below.

Click image to enlarge

The heater vent flap lever on the heater box moves ok by hand
Post #673952 28th Dec 2017 10:47pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
Fiddling with the leaver on the side of heater box , moving it down slightly I think has some how fixed my vents.

Now I just can't wrap my head around how this all works because adjusting fan control in the car does not move the leaver on heater box up and down that I can see. So what does the fan speed adjust in the cabin actually do physically or is it electronically controlled as well?
Post #674104 29th Dec 2017 3:50pm
dorsetsmith

So what does the fan speed adjust in the cabin actually do physically see be low or is it electronically controlled as well yes fan on and motor speed from none to hair drier mod Whistle

1. fan speed lever in top position 0 fan will not run and leaver on the side of heater box and flap inside heater closed position no air will enter the vehicle

2. fan speed lever in position 0 -1 fan will not run and leaver on the side of heater box and flap inside heater start open position air will enter the vehicle when its moving

3. fan speed lever in position 1 - 2 fan will run slow and leaver on the side of heater box and flap inside heater mid position air will enter the vehicle

4. fan speed lever in bottom position fan will run in (hair drier mod )and leaver on the side of heater box and flap inside heater full open position air will enter the vehicle
Post #674118 29th Dec 2017 4:23pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
So I should see the leaver on heater box side move slightly when I set between 1 and 3 ? It's all working as designed currently I'm just not sure how lol
Post #674126 29th Dec 2017 4:54pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I found this thread really helpful chaps - thank you Thumbs Up

Noticed my usually very efficient heater wasn't doing its job recently. I only use the Defender at the weekend and to be honest I thought it was the controls so I checked all was working as per this thread Thumbs Up

It all appeared to be fine.

When walking towards it on the driveway a few days later I noticed a small pool of fluid on the drivers side below the engine. Fearing the worst I gave the system the 'once over.'

Thankfully, and again using this thread, I found the culprit.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Obviously the previous owner had suffered the same fate and installed a short length of copper pipe in the long hose that runs from the header tank towards the radiator - via the engine mount Neutral

Clearly the constant movement had sliced through the copper.

I've replaced it with a length of rigid aluminium pipe that is held well clear of the offending area!

Wouldn't have found it so easily without your help Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Will
Post #697412 31st Mar 2018 11:51am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Thought I'd add this (below) as it may help others when testing and/or refilling the OAT antifreeze and coolant.

Obviously given my discovery, I had to refill, so I did a little experiment to see if I could reasonably accurately judge the OAT content during refills.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Repeated each test 2 or 3 times and got consistent results. I'm not sure how reliable these testers are, but at let I can use it as a decent reference now. After my repair (above) it was clear that I had only managed to achieve about 30/70 OAT/Distilled water, so I have recitified that - now 50/50 Thumbs Up

Hope it helps someone - albeit not sure if it actually will Rolling with laughter
Post #697414 31st Mar 2018 12:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234