Home > Td5 > Defender Td5 - ECU defect
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DieselDriver

Austria 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
Defender Td5 - ECU defect
Hello,

at traffic light the engine stopped - since then it was not possible to start the engine (the ECU was 2 years old).
All the five injectors are also 2 years old.

What was tested:
- no oil in injection cable
- AS10 is ok, also was deactivated with LR T4 tester
- it is not possible to enable/disable the injectors with the T4 hand-tester (manually voltage to the injecotors worked - the clicking of coil was hearable
- sensor for upper dead center is ok
- diesel pump was changed (was 4 years old)

Now a new ECU was ordered bt it seems to be a used one which LR sent us. The T4 tester is not able to communicate with the new ECU.

Do you have any tips for me?

Is it possible that the old ECU is so defective that it makes no sense to backup the settings to write the map to the new ECU? At the moment when the enginge stopped several lights inside went on.

Is it with the Nanocom possible to write a default map to the ECU and add then the injector-codes?
Or do I need a backup file from my old ECU to be able to use a Nanocom for programming a new ECU?

How does it work with the discount when I order a Nanocom with the defender2.net promo code?

Thanks.
Post #670680 13th Dec 2017 1:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Out of interest what faults were logged on your old ECU?

If I recall correctly the TD5 ECU stopped production quite some time ago, so LR have been forced to send out reconditioned units. Certainly that would explain why yours is not brand spanking new.

It is odd that the T4 cannot communicate with the ECU. Can I just check that the IGN was turned to Pos-2 in order to power up the ECU? This is essential for all diagnostics gear including the Nanocom.

It is possible that the ECU is duff from LR and if that is the case give them a call and get a replacement sent out.

Yes the Nanocom is capable of reading a map and writing a map to the ECU and also coding the injectors.

No idea about a forum discount, I think the last time nanocoms were sold on here it was a group buy discount.
Post #670697 13th Dec 2017 3:14pm
DieselDriver

A lot of errors are stored.

- four injectors long circuit (but all wires are ok)
- open circuit of air conditioning (it is a Defender without AC)

I also tried to change the two capacitors but now chance.

I also think that LR has sent a replacement of ECU which is more defect than mine.

Do I need a backup of the map of my old ECU wehen I want to flash a new one?
Or can the Nanocom has the default map inside for flashing a brand new ECU?
Post #670699 13th Dec 2017 3:20pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
For engine test you can use any TD5 engine ECU - you need just synchronize the engine ECU and IMO ECU 10AS - learning security code in the engine ECU.
After short engine run, you can code injectors - engine will run smoother, and later write the correct map in ECU.
All this is approx. 15 minutes of work - with Nanocom.
Using "not correct" ECU for short time, is not a problem, just do it only with low RPM. There is no need to buy new ECU, if you are not sure, that to problem is in the ECU. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #670743 13th Dec 2017 6:49pm
DieselDriver

The old ECU does not let start the engine any longer (maybe the Motorola IC on the mainboard is broken).
The new ECU (NNN500020), which LR delivered, is not accessible with any of the original test-hardware (it seems to be a replaced ECU). So the mechanic also could not sync the ECU with 10AS.

Moreover, he tried the old ECU (communication with the old one is working) and disabled the 10AS. The red light disppeared but the engine also not started. Sad
Post #670745 13th Dec 2017 6:59pm
MadTom

New ECU can be in "virgin" state - like when built. I think, only LR diagnostic can work with this. With generic like Nanocom I'm not sure.
But for test, you can use ANY TD5 ECU - NNN or older MSB type, from Defender or DISCO2. Engine will run.
TD5 ECU is robust - main problem is drowning or fire inside. It is not common, that ECU dies.
You can test the ECU on the bench - with Nanocom. You need the ECU, Nanocom, 12V supply (old car battery), small switch to simulate ignition switch and a relay for simulating the main relay. And some wires. Schematics how to connect it are in RAVE.
With this setup, I can remap the ECU, or do some basic tests on the bench. It is not a magic. The key is communication between ECU and Nanocom.
For first check in car - if the ECU is alive inside, look on MIL and GLOW indicators. They are controlled by the ECU. They must light for short time after ignition on. This is basic information, that the software in ECU is running. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #670747 13th Dec 2017 7:12pm
DieselDriver

Thanks for tips.

I tried to simulate the relay for the injectors but none of the five coils were opend by the old ECU.

The GLOW indicator worked fine (light went on and off).
The MIL indicator also had normal behavior.
The diesel-pump also was enabled for ~30 seconds after switching the key to position 2.
The rpm from the engine while starting is also be forwarded to the ECU.
But none of the injectors will be opened by ECU.
All fuses and ground connections of the wires are also ok.
Post #670751 13th Dec 2017 7:21pm
MadTom

What relay for injectors? There are three important relays controlled by the ECU - main relay for switching wupply power for the ECU, relay for glow plugs and relay for fuel pump.
Injectors are directly powered from ECU - inside is a DC/DC converter for creating 90V voltage to power the injectors. This can be checked - when you open the ECU, you can measure voltage over the 2 big capacitors - one is the same as supply voltage - approx. 12,5V, and second is something like 85V. Just be sure not to short circuit it.
For checking the injectors outputs there is special test in Nanocom - it clicks one injectors. The click is audible in car - from engine, and also on bench - quiet click in the ECU.
But for this, the communication between ECU and Nanocom must work. There are only 2 ECUs - engine ECU and 10AS IMO/alarm ECU. Both can block the communication. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #670757 13th Dec 2017 8:10pm
DieselDriver

I meant the transistors for the injectors.

I tried to check the injectors-opening with LR hand tester but there was no clicking hearable (none of the five injectors).

The question is if it is possible to open the injectors with the tester when the 10AS is defect (but the 10AS also was deactivated with T4 tester). I think that the Motorola CPU inside the ECU is defect. The relay for glowing and fuel pump works but thats all. Lets wait for the new ECU from LR.
Post #670902 14th Dec 2017 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1