↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > LRO Forum Closing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
LRO Forum Closing
It's just been announced that the LROI Forum will close on 19th December.
Looks like Farcebook has won.
Hope it's not the beginning of the end. 
Post #670411 11th Dec 2017 11:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Sad. Lro forum was the first forum I joined! 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #670414 11th Dec 2017 11:27pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
That is a shame.

2016 was the first year where more people came off Facebook than created accounts; therefore, I’d like to hope that dedicated forums still have their place.

Considering that Facebook datamines the hell out of their users, I’m not surprised.

With that said, forums are notoriously challenging to monetise and therefore, the business case for them is very hard to justify. Many are run because of passion for the product and community but that can get eroded when you consider liability, complaints and running costs.
Post #670422 12th Dec 2017 12:00am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
The LRO forum has been rubbish for years.Never much going on on there. Bit like the magazine really Whistle
Post #670444 12th Dec 2017 8:24am
Procta

United Kingdom 
That's what happens when a club decides to open up a facebook group. It really does kill the forums off.
The metro owners club had this debate about facebook group. They decided to set the group for announcements only on events, questions etc were all told to go to the metro owners forum. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #670519 12th Dec 2017 3:14pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
The issue I have with facebook groups is that they're not an easily referable/searchable repository of information, it's more like a chat function. It's like a glorified version of the old usenet groups. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #670520 12th Dec 2017 3:20pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It's been pretty dire for a long, long time.

Forums funded by paper magazines reliant on advertisers for their funding have always been at a disadvantage when it comes to running online forums. Impartiality is sometimes an issue as the editorial will invariably side with the advertiser should their products receive unfavorable comments on the forum. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #670544 12th Dec 2017 5:48pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Kit wrote:
The issue I have with facebook groups is that they're not an easily referable/searchable repository of information, it's more like a chat function. It's like a glorified version of the old usenet groups.

Big problem I find with FaceBook groups is that they attract nutters who like to shout. On a forum, there are moderators who are often strict about politeness and just being 'normal'.
Dread to think what a FB group dedicated to a thirsty diesel 4x4 is going to be like.
Post #670551 12th Dec 2017 6:24pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I'm on a few forums and a few fb pages. Both have been very helpful to me for problem solving and looking for new ideas.
A few things:
1. You have nutters on fb. You have them on forums.
2. You have incapabel moderators on fb. you have them on forums.
3. etc. etc....
By the way. There is a search option in a fb group. Easy to use.

Personally I don't have a preference, but if I really need a fast answer I use fb. Never the irritating 'use the search option'. Always a fast and helpful answer till date.
Also... if you're in the right group and you get stuck with your LR, often someone nearby to help you out. Laughing
Post #670558 12th Dec 2017 6:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Kit wrote:
The issue I have with facebook groups is that they're not an easily referable/searchable repository of information, it's more like a chat function. It's like a glorified version of the old usenet groups.

I was telling my dad that exact thing kit, about been searchable etc. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #670691 13th Dec 2017 2:59pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
AMBxx wrote:
Kit wrote:

Big problem I find with FaceBook groups is that they attract nutters who like to shout. On a forum, there are moderators who are often strict about politeness and just being 'normal'.
Dread to think what a FB group dedicated to a thirsty diesel 4x4 is going to be like.

that's true, I have seen people try to give out the wrong info too! Getting people to buy what they do not need etc. One tried to start a debate with me! laugh it came to an end there and then when I showed him my car., which was running with out the " parts that it needed to run" but that's engine conversions for you.

Also a forum needs to have the right people for the moderators job, I have seen moderators abuse their power by winding the original poster up about a number of things on what he was doing with his car. Which really does put people off posting up etc. There was a discussion about how to make things better, and it was brought up about politeness etc, But things never changed sadly. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #670693 13th Dec 2017 3:09pm
donmacn

Thumbs Up ^^^^^^ last paragraph above. I really value good forums, where the tone stays 'respectable' within limits, and where information and replies seem genuine and open. FWIW I really like what I've seen here since joining not so long ago. Thanks to all contributors and the Mods.

I chose to leav another LR forum because it lacked that sense of respect for others.
Post #670737 13th Dec 2017 6:11pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Donmacn you said

Quote:

Thanks to all contributors and the Mods.

Unlike most forums, this one does not have any mods only Martin who is owner/admin.

Martin has only rarely got to step in and lock a thread/slap peoples backsides.

This is a tribute to the standards of the forum users. Yes people can have a difference of opinion but normally that is discussed with respect by the people with differing opinions.

Some forums have users which are less polite then Def2 users and are more argumentative then Def2 members.

As for the standard on Facebook? Enough said!!

Brendan
Post #670795 13th Dec 2017 9:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I have to say this forum is one of two that have been great, The metro owners club was another good one, and this one.
Also I think its down to the age of the members too, which keeps things running well. I am still new to defenders, and I love to learn from the experienced members about things. When they do move on to something else, I can pass on their experience onto new members. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #670848 14th Dec 2017 1:11am
Procta

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
Donmacn you said

Quote:

Thanks to all contributors and the Mods.

Unlike most forums, this one does not have any mods only Martin who is owner/admin.

Martin has only rarely got to step in and lock a thread/slap peoples backsides.

This is a tribute to the standards of the forum users. Yes people can have a difference of opinion but normally that is discussed with respect by the people with differing opinions.

Some forums have users which are less polite then Def2 users and are more argumentative then Def2 members.

As for the standard on Facebook? Enough said!!

Brendan

The thing with facebook, its only as safe as what you put on it. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #670849 14th Dec 2017 1:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>