↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback > Pentland Edinburgh
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
My experience with the Pentland branches in Cupar and Edinburgh have been less than impressive

Cupar wanted me to book a test drive, despite knowing which car/spec I wanted.

Edinburgh are VERY busy, however, at the Highland show, we were interested in an Evoque for the wife. Took my details, never had any communication from them afterwards

Disappointing really...

Perth were much better, initially, arranging a 48hr test drive with a Disco Sport. We couldn't get on with that car though, so tried to arrange something similar with an Evoque.
Salesman never called back Neutral

So we went out and bought privately instead
Post #639936 26th Jul 2017 6:29pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've been using a Disco Sport for the last 4 weeks, it's got 3.5k on it over 1000 of those I've put on it. Agree fully that I'm not enjoying my time with it, had issues with the keyless entry, the climate blows roasting hot air at anything over16 degrees, the height adjuster on the drivers seat is jammed, the headlining seems to be loose and vibrates over rough road surfaces, the dash creaks, DAB crackles and buzzes madly...............and that's only the start of my gripes with it! If I'd dropped £38k on it it would have been handed back by now.

When I was test driving the Defenders I almost had to drag the saleman out into the rain, he wanted me to make an appointment and come back but backed down after I threatened to head straight to Morrison's. (Wish I had now with the way I'm being treated at the moment)

I don't think I fit into their customer profile as everything seems to be all shiny and aimed toward people who dress like catalogue models Evil or Very Mad 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #639950 26th Jul 2017 7:28pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I have been very pleased with Macrae and Dick at Inverness.
Also Andy White (Independent) off Dalry Road

Not sure anything would tempt me back to Pentland after the shoddy service over the last 15 years! Yes 15 years with Discos and Defenders... Pentland have always failed to impress, and generally been shoddy.

Shame really. One of my pals uses lexus in Edinburgh and the dealership (located nearby) treats him like royalty by comparison Sad Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #640269 28th Jul 2017 10:15am
jomara

Looks like all the smaller dealerships who actually offered decent service are being swallowed up with Macrae & Dick being taken over by Parks Motor Group and Morrison's of Stirling recenlty joining the Pentland network! 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
2022 110 250D XS
Post #669857 9th Dec 2017 1:51pm
Disco_Mikey

And a new Pentland dealership coming to Dundee
Post #669955 9th Dec 2017 10:56pm
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
Dundee
Stirling
And now Fort Kinnaird too

I take 50 enquiries a week, a lot of it is total garbage from online ā€œvirtual tyre kickersā€
If I can sell 15 cars a month out of that Iā€™m doing good

In all honesty , sometimes you can lose a deal due to lack of focus Embarassed

I canā€™t answer for techs or front desk advisors

I find a case of beer motivates my lads Rolling with laughter Laughing

G My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #669960 10th Dec 2017 12:09am
Disco_Mikey

If I want to buy a car, I have to bring in beer? Shocked Laughing
Post #669986 10th Dec 2017 9:09am
Enid_Puceflange

Hmmmmm

A bottle of Rioja when you collect it is appreciated Laughing My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #669998 10th Dec 2017 9:48am
adolfy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Bronze Green
I hope hat you never have to use Cambrian Land Rovers in Aberystwyth. If anyone ever considers it, run away quickly.

I took my 2013 110 to them because of a fuel tank leak. Basically I filled the vehicle up, as I usually did, which is until the pump lever clicks and then a couple more times so its as full as possible, put the cap back on and went to pay. When I came out of the building I saw the sun glistening on a lake of diesel under the vehicle and it was pouring out. Eventually it stopped and I very gently drove home. I explained what had happened to the service guy and that it had never happened before and as the vehicle was nearly 3 years old, something had obviously changed. They assured me that they knew exactly what it was, the vent pipe from the tank was too low but my question to them was why hadn't it happened before. No, that was the problem or may be I was over filling the tank, but why hadn't it happened before, no they knew best. Off we went shopping in Aber and a couple of hours later picked the vehicle up. I got them to show me the repair that they had made and we started to drive home. We weren't very far out of Aber and I decided to fill the vehicle to check out their repair. Guess what, diesel all over the forecourt. I turned around rather angry and upset and returned to Cambrian land Rovers. I went straight up to the guy on the service desk and In an angry tone told him that it just happened again and as I told them it wasn't the over flow and that their was now another garage with diesel over their forecourt. At this point I was approached by the sales manager and told to lower my tone or as he put it Censored off out of his sales room, he then disappeared. I arranged to return with the vehicle the following day, another 80 mile round trip. I went to find the manager but he had gone and no one knew where he was. we went home and I rang Land Rover customer service.
The next day we returned and again went shopping, on our return we were informed that there was a hole in the top of the tank because a rubber grommet had been missed off when the vehicle was assembled and a metal rib had rubber through the tank. They would order a new tank and ring me when it was in, but don't fill the vehicle up with fuel.

About a week later land Rover customer services rang me and left a message informing me that Cambrian Land Rovers had the part and would contact me some time that day to arrange for my vehicle to go in for the repair. Several days later, I rang Cambrian and was told they didn't have the part. About a week later Cambrian rang me and I took the vehicle back, another 80 mile round trip. They carried out the repair while we started looking at the cracks in the pavement. We picked the vehicle up and took it straight to the petrol station and filled it up. Guess what, diesel all over the floor. Back we went and at this point I couldn't get angry. The vehicle as taken around to the workshop and they extended the air vent again because they had removed their earlier modification when they replaced the tank. The problem was at last resolved.

One thing that did worry me at the time was that if there is a hole and fuel can get out, water can get in and as they drained the tank and then put the old fuel back in.........

October that year, after the warranty had expired, on the way to Yorkshire the vehicle went into mong mode. The AA bloke put his fault finder on the vehicle and told me that the fuel rail pressure valve, I cant remember its exact name, had gone tits up. When I replaced the part the area of it that is inside the fuel rail, so I assume submerged in diesel was rusty, I drained the tank, better late than never and changed the fuel filter, Cambrian Land Rovers hadn't even change that. I would have thought that changing the fuel filter would have been a must, considering the original problem.

After that and a couple of previous Land Rover dealer experiences I will never take one of my Land Rovers to a main dealer again. The Kia of course, is a totally different experience.

Sorry its a long story but don't go there.

Jon

Jon
Post #670010 10th Dec 2017 10:24am
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
jomara wrote:
Looks like all the smaller dealerships who actually offered decent service are being swallowed up with Macrae & Dick being taken over by Parks Motor Group and Morrison's of Stirling recenlty joining the Pentland network!

Town and County in Aberdeen were truly appalling. Peter Vardy were much the same at the time of the changeover and I have not been impressed when in for spare parts.... Where is the parts department? Well hidden, behind a door marked "staff only", as they have no interest in owners who are enthusiastic/passionate about older land rovers or even brand new defenders.

Pentland in Perth have been ok over the past 4 years, except for the last service on the 110 earlier this year. Strangely, there were no issues with the 90 which was serviced a few days before the 110. Matters were rectified, but without any explanation. Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #670013 10th Dec 2017 10:53am
jomara

The service department at Pentland Edinburgh leaves a lot to be desired! I took time to visit and go over all the issues I had with my 110 4 months before my warranty ran out.
Iā€™m still arguing with them about carrying out the works over a year down the line! To date I have wasted 4 days of my time sitting in the showroom and over Ā£150 worth of diesel trailing back and forth. Not impressed with how this debacle has been handled by Pentland Evil or Very Mad 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
2022 110 250D XS
Post #670176 10th Dec 2017 8:48pm
Disco_Mikey

I could tell you plenty of stories about main dealer "customer service"

Probably why I'm booked up for the next 7 weeks Laughing
Post #670186 10th Dec 2017 9:09pm
Enid_Puceflange

jomara wrote:
The service department at Pentland Edinburgh leaves a lot to be desired! I took time to visit and go over all the issues I had with my 110 4 months before my warranty ran out.
Iā€™m still arguing with them about carrying out the works over a year down the line! To date I have wasted 4 days of my time sitting in the showroom and over Ā£150 worth of diesel trailing back and forth. Not impressed with how this debacle has been handled by Pentland Evil or Very Mad

Jo , can I ask you as a forum member, and not a member of ā€œPentland staff"............

Why do you keep going back to Pentland?

G My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #670191 10th Dec 2017 9:33pm
jomara

Hi G

I had the last service carried out by an independent garage and when it came to the warranty issues (many of which predated the service) the fingers started getting pointed and I had to cite block exemption rules.
In the past I have used Morrisons (good when you could actually get booked in) and Taggarts (nearly had a punch up with the service manager after finding damage to my wheels and a sandwich wrapped stuffed into the fuel opening), this means that in the central belt we are really kind os stuck with bad, badder and blooming awful and I was coaxed back to using Pentland after having Land rover involved and having promises of the service issues being a "short term blip due to staffing"
Some of the warranty works I am still waiting on being sorted out were reported as long ago as two years and it appears Jim the warranty admin has made decisions without passing in the information to Land Rover, the frontline service staff or even Willie Duncan which is why we are now in this position, on more than one occasion my car had been with Pentland for excess of two weeks and when I return to collect I ask to go over the list of works with Nicola and have found myself on the end of a thousand yard stare as we identify a whole host of problems which have not been touched!! I have even had to have a factory trained tech come into the dealership and haver a face to face conversation to try and reach a resolution!! Stevie the workshop lead has been great through the whole thing but he can only do so much off his own back and his words sen to fall on deaf ears with Nicola & Willie!!

The long and short of it is I am involved in a dispute which is over 12 months old and no other dealer wants to touch it with a barge pole!! Thats the main reason why I am stuck with Pentland and their shoddy aftersales, its got to the point now where I am taking legal advice to try and have the faults rectified.

Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
2022 110 250D XS
Post #670216 11th Dec 2017 8:17am
Enid_Puceflange

Flippen heck Jo Shocked

All I can say is that I agree Whistle

Stevie is a top bloke Thumbs Up

And still , you and I have never met for a coffee whist you have been in

I suppose you really need a stiff drink!! Embarassed Rolling with laughter

Post #670334 11th Dec 2017 5:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>