↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > New phone or new power tool?
Money I don't have on stuff I don't need
Galaxy s8
0%
 0%  [0]
Makita dwt 285z impact wrench
100%
 100%  [29]
Total Votes: 29

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
What does the latest phone do that your last one didn't? May be if you answer that question you can see where this posts going.

You think that's a problem at our level, Samsung and Apple must be pulling their hair out trying to think of the next must have thing. iPhone makes up the largest part of Apples turnover and profit and it needs us minions to keep falling out of love with our old phone and buying a new one. Samsung, maybe not so much, but I assume their phones are a large part of their business.

What next for the phone market if skinflints like myself (and possibly lambert.the.farmer after reading all these posts) start buying impact wrenches instead of their sexy new phone?

If you are of a certain age, you might remember Nokia. Everyman and his dog wanted the latest Nokia when they released them. Look what happened to them. Missed the boat with the smartphone market, crashed and burned.

I still miss snakes.

Go on lambert.the.farmer, you know you want that impact wrench.
Post #665200 17th Nov 2017 10:20pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
AJC wrote:
... just to match the tool box

I am disturbed that you say "box" (singular) not "boxes" (plural). Probably just a typo. Either that or a good start! Rolling with laughter

Well yes, top & bottom box with blue point trolley.

Lambert. This is what I have plenty of

https://www.milwaukeepowertools.co.uk/milw...gJ70fD_BwE
Post #665210 17th Nov 2017 10:59pm
Baz8046

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Forget the phone but another vote for Milwaukee over Makita.
The M18 fuel heavy duty impact wrench is a great bit of kit. Defender Td5 Commercial 2002
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 2005
Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark 2016
Post #665229 18th Nov 2017 1:07am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
AJC wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
AJC wrote:
... just to match the tool box

I am disturbed that you say "box" (singular) not "boxes" (plural). Probably just a typo. Either that or a good start! Rolling with laughter

Well yes, top & bottom box with blue point trolley.

Lambert. This is what I have plenty of

https://www.milwaukeepowertools.co.uk/milw...gJ70fD_BwE

Ah yes I see, that is easily twice as strong as my 450 makita but its the next size up from what I have been looking at, the 285 is a compact not a full size so significantly more versatile for working on the Jimny where space is at a premium and let's be honest everything is on a smaller lighter scale than the defender or cherokee. The 285 will bust 400 and crimp 280 which is getting on for the tightest bolt on a Jimny. Its also c150quid bare as opposed to 400 quid with batteries and chargers, Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #665231 18th Nov 2017 6:15am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I did a morning mission to buy a Milwaukee M18 last Saturday. Visited 3 places, rang 4. The answer was, 'no stock as they're expensive'. One Milwaukee dealer said 'we had one, but sold it', when I asked why they didn't replenish stock....'who would buy something so expensive?'
Foolish retailers Rolling Eyes I sell £310 pairs of cycling shoes on a daily basis, yes theyre ridiculously expensive, but good business!!

I bought the Makita 18v, as I already had 18v drill. I found that it's made in Japan and I couldn't be more chuffed with it.

I then bought the 10.8v Makita 3/8 impact wrench for small jobs. That's a real handy bit of kit!
Post #665239 18th Nov 2017 8:17am
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
UK tool centre have a good deal on the big Milwaukee at moment, heavy but 610Nm Whistle

https://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/products/mi...i-ion.html
Post #665256 18th Nov 2017 10:54am
AJC

United Kingdom 
I have 2 x 3/8ths Milwaukee guns too. Great for the small jobs, the batteries charge alongside the big batteries too so only one charger needed.

I’m considering getting a smaller 1/2 inch Milwaukee for the tighter jobs but where more umph is needed.

Strange to hear no one stocking them. The 2 main 2 tool shops I use both have designated walls to the entire Milwaukee range
Post #665579 19th Nov 2017 8:22pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Right well thanks to everyone for the contributions to the decision. I have ordered a makita impact wrench, but not the one I was looking at, instead I have opted for the marginally less potent brushed motor variant, it is still compact and capable of busting 370 Nm and crimping to about 240 Nm but I found a deal that saves me over 60 quid and for that i can live with 30 Nm less go. It's not as if i don't have a bigger one if required and 60 quid is a tank and a half of petrol which will always have a home with me. Again thanks for the advice. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #665604 19th Nov 2017 9:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12