↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Twisted mesh grille
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Litch

England 
"Corrosion on the Nakatanenga grill after a couple of years? I thought their stuff was supposed to be excellent quality."

No, several spots started to bubble through after only a couple of years.
Back in 2013 I bought a set of the Nakatanenga Heritage Style Headlight Surrounds (to set off my new Nolden's) and after 3-years they are shedding paint quite freely....... Not overly impressed with the coating on their products, hopefully my own (applied using an etch primer) will last longer.

"Litch, can I ask how you afixed Gavin’s badge to the grill? It looks like you used rivets but I would have thought the grill mesh was too thin to rivet through?"

Using small SS screws (Button Head Socket Flange) with large flat washers behind and nyloc's. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #665381 18th Nov 2017 8:40pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Cheers - makes sense and a good option. Thank you.
Post #665386 18th Nov 2017 8:52pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
If there are any issues with the Nakatanenga gear supplied by us at 4x4overlander please let us know.

If we do not know of the issues we can not sort them out. We feed back information to Peter at Nakatenga and I know he takes on board feedback..

It can be difficult to paint (be it wet or powder) any item of thin metal with sharp edges. The paint can be thin on 'sharp' edges. Preparation is the key. If degreasing has not been done correctly, tumbling/bead blasting not done correctly or too long between bead blasting and coating can cause oxidisation both can cause adhesion issues. If the item has large variations in thickness this can cause issues with the thermal treatment.

If we do not know of any issues we can not do anything about them.

Brendan
Post #665411 18th Nov 2017 11:19pm
nakatanenga

Germany 
@Litch: would you please be so kind and send me a detail picture of the corrosion you mentioned? peter@nakatanenga.de

These grilles are anodized and afterward powdercoated wih high spec powder. This is the best finish we can provide. Bubbles and shedding paint is totally unknown with these products, even years after use and abuse.

If there is something wrong with this grille we will take about it.

Peter WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #665771 20th Nov 2017 4:42pm
Litch

England 
"If there are any issues with the Nakatanenga gear supplied by us at 4x4overlander please let us know."

Brendan.
I bought the grill direct however the headlight surrounds were bought from yourself.

I have never raised the issue of the paint before because as far as I was concerned there was no issue, the paint started to came off and I repainted the items myself, end of. This the first time I have even mentioned it anywhere!
I have no idea why the paint came off the way it has, the vehicle isn't subject to any adverse use and is cleaned regularly with a decent wax shampoo. Certainly there is no indication that the front of the vehicle has suffered in any way (there is no paint damage to the front panels, bonnet front etc) and remember, I bought the headlight surrounds after I had already experienced the paint bubbling on the grill.

As I said, I was happy to re-paint the items myself and it never crossed my mind to make an issue of it (Still doesn't. Smile )The finish of my painting might not be as good but it is holding up ok. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #666302 22nd Nov 2017 8:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12