↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 60 <123 4 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So... Glow plugs. need a full set. what are the best ones to go for? LR NGK Bosch...??!!!

I have heard there are some big differences between brands, both in quality and operation.
Post #661501 2nd Nov 2017 9:00pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok a few more photos today. I had to pop back and get something form the back of Miffy and saw that the garage had kept the head gasket;

To head

Click image to enlarge

To block

Click image to enlarge

Delaminated

Click image to enlarge

Interesting to see that the gasket had delaminated between the cylinders. and even though the coolant ports are quite large the gasket restricts the flow down to barely a pin hole.

Importantly confirmation of metal dowels not plastic ones.
Post #661642 3rd Nov 2017 2:59pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok so to the news... Miffy's head has now been away to be pressure tested and skimmed. To quote the engineer "the head is sound but needs a damned good skim" - so pretty badly warped.

It turns out that even though Miffy is a 15P engine which was meant to have the metal dowels for locating the head, somewhere in the factory someone wasn't paying attention one morning and only put one dowel in... Shocked Shocked

Quite frankly I am super impressed that she managed to reach 181k miles with only one...! Imagine what she can do with two dowels...! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

So as of this evening She is up on ramps having her head rebuilt before being reassembled tomorrow. Here are a few photos;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #664929 16th Nov 2017 10:13pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Just seen my name mentioned in the thread. Was good to chat.
Looks like things are going well. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #664954 16th Nov 2017 11:13pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi John. Things are indeed progressing... Thumbs Up Yeah hope it will be A-OK for a while after this. Just want her back on the road, sick of driving what has been affectionately named the "spunky wood louse" (a 2003 cross in grey).

Did an early run to Land Rover to collect a couple of dowels and an 0-ring this morning as it was much quicker than waiting for royal mail. Still astonished that there was only one dowel fitted at the factory...

Fingers crossed for this afternoon...
Post #665095 17th Nov 2017 3:31pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Miffy runs once more... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Cannot wait to collect her later...
Post #665762 20th Nov 2017 4:05pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
Good work, do you feel the sound deadening under the bonnet made a difference at all?
Post #665781 20th Nov 2017 5:13pm
L110CDL

England 
Great news she is running again Very Happy i bet that grin will be bigger than ever when you get in her to take back home Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #666525 23rd Nov 2017 10:07pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
AJC wrote:
Good work, do you feel the sound deadening under the bonnet made a difference at all?

Hmmm yes and no. I suppose it is a matter of expectation. If you expect the kit to give you a Bentley quiet ride then you are in for a disappointment. it is one of those things thats adds up, under bonnet plus the internal proofing... actually these days the majority of the noise comes through the front flaps which have no sound proofing at all.

Is it worth it, only if you have the cash to spare... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #666532 23rd Nov 2017 10:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
Great news she is running again Very Happy i bet that grin will be bigger than ever when you get in her to take back home Wink

Oh i am glad she is back. Ironically i have been laid up with nora virus all week so have not been able to enjoy her at all. Big Cry Big Cry

Always next week eh?! Rolling Eyes
Post #666535 23rd Nov 2017 10:22pm
L110CDL

England 
Makes it even more, that you get better sooner Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #666542 23rd Nov 2017 10:34pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well. Saturday morning was interesting... Came out to the Defender to find the fuel cap missing. Odd. Jump in, Ign on... Oh for goodness sake. Some delightful folk had half inched about 1/3rd of a tank of diesel (give or take)... Son of a butcher dogs wife...

Figure a hose and a jerry can in the dead of night. At least they could of put the cap back. Probably still in some dude's hoodie pocket.

Have to say it is the first time that I have been eternally grateful for a dealer being open on a Saturday morning and having stock. An expensive start to a great weekend. Thank you Conwy Land Rover. Literally saved my weekend and made my wife's year...

Now the new fuel cap has a tether on it, being from a Puma era Defender. Can anyone post a picture of where the tether is usually positioned please?!

Like the tether, good idea.

Click image to enlarge

Also saw this beauty, albeit some serious surface rust underneath;

Click image to enlarge
Post #667639 28th Nov 2017 9:56pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So had a great weekend with the 110, apart from the fuel syphoning that is, which included a super run down to Okehampton from Anglesey. Miffy didn't miss a beat, pulled like a train and most importantly of all; Had no coolant explosion issues at all. Touch wood I think the head issues have been sorted Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

She sounds very different, less rattle more rock n roll. Interestingly the temp gauge now sits about 3mm further in to the cool than it did previously. Cools down much quicker now too, which at this time of year is irritating.

Whilst down in Devon Miffy and I had an afternoons fun when 6 vehicles visiting Roadford Lake all got bogged down in the carpark. It was strange sort of muddy carnage with a Oslo Blue stead coming to the rescue Laughing Laughing

The worst of them was this Audi which had no rear tow points at all, the owners fella had replaced the bumper without a tow point hatch and removed the tow hitch too. This was sitting on the chassis pan, quite the sight. Driver did a great job beaching it. Took an hour to shift this back up hill 50cm at a time, but we made it Thumbs Up Good fun...

Click image to enlarge

Have to love what you can do with a shovel, jack and traction mat...

The other vehicles included a LWB Merc Sprinter which was heavy as but low diff-lock and back it came bodily. I said foot off the brakes... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Shows the ability of the Defender though. Bow down Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by geobloke on 30th Nov 2017 4:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #667667 29th Nov 2017 5:25pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice work to free them from the wet mud Wink great to see that Miffy is happy doing the miles again and visiting 2 great places Whistle do you ever go to Meldon Dam at all ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #667824 29th Nov 2017 11:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi L110CDL. I know Meldon very well, was only there a month ago as it happens. Stunning country.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #667974 30th Nov 2017 4:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 60 <123 4 ... 585960>