↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Straight through exhausts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Straight through exhausts?
I really need to get rid of my HD springs, I was going down an unfamiliar road at 30mph and hit a speed bump without slowing, snapped my 3 month old exhaust Evil or Very Mad

I guess while im under there, I might as well replace the whole exhaust.

Are there any systems out there which do away with the rear resonator as it looks quite badly designed (in terms of flow)?

1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #663624 12th Nov 2017 1:55am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
if you go to PD Gough, near Nottingham, they will make you anything you like in high grade stainless. The exhaust is guaranteed for ever

http://www.pdgough.com
Post #663934 13th Nov 2017 12:39pm
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Griffin Performance keep a version of the middle box and get rid of the rear resonator.

Most other standard offerings get rid of the middle but keep the rear. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #663951 13th Nov 2017 2:45pm
Kit

I've sent a message to both of them Thumbs Up 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #663955 13th Nov 2017 3:27pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
What sort of changes, if any, will occur by fitting a straight pipe? I mean in terms of fuel consumption, performance, noise etc. Considering it after watching a youtube video of a 300tdi straight pipe and it sounded rather nice Cool Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #663981 13th Nov 2017 5:12pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
I have a straight through on my 200tdi 90, with the windows shut you don't notice it being any noiser. I'm not sure if there is any change in fuel consumption as it was already fitted when I bought it, but I wouldn't have thought there would be a noticeable difference?

I always drive with the passenger window open just to listen to the noise. Whistle Very Happy BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #663988 13th Nov 2017 6:02pm
Slideywindows

England 
I live by the side of the road and am forced to hear other peoples' noisy exhausts.

Day and night.

Seven days a week.

Whether they can hear them inside their cab or not.

Silencers have been fitted since the year dot - for good social reasons.

With the huge increase in traffic on most roads, especially in the South, this latest fashion for "designer noise" is highly unpleasant for millions of people who are forced to endure it.

Always fit a legal exhaust system.

Please.
Post #664072 13th Nov 2017 9:09pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rioja Red
trickster5000 wrote:
What sort of changes, if any, will occur by fitting a straight pipe? I mean in terms of fuel consumption, performance, noise etc. Considering it after watching a youtube video of a 300tdi straight pipe and it sounded rather nice Cool

My 300tdi 90 has what can best be described as a cobbled together straight through mild steel exhaust which was on it when I bought the car, it does sound quite nice to me but I have to be honest and say that it is probably a bit antisocial if I boot it hard. I fancy a big bore stainless steel system with a centre box, especially if it looks like a cat as according to my chassis number my car was originally fitted with a cat and EGR and it can only be a matter of time before MOT testers are instructed to check.

As far as fuel consumption is concerned I have no before and after figures but I am getting around 25 mpg on average which on a 300tdi which does a lot of short runs and at least one off road competition per month compares favourably with other 300tdi engined vehicles l have run.

As for performance apart from the exhaust, the EGR is removed and the injector pump has been tweaked and it pulls very well from low revs, both myself and other experienced Land Rover drivers have remarked on how much better it is than a standard 300tdi despite the fact that it is currently running on a very moth eaten standard intercooller. My biggest dilemma is which to upgrade first, intercooller or exhaust. Whistle current thinking is that it will probably be the intercooller first as in my experience that gives the biggest performance improvement and if it fails it's MOT on the exhaust next spring then SWMBO can't argue that I need to buy it a new one one of those. Thumbs Up
Post #664112 14th Nov 2017 12:40am
MGCarr

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rioja Red
Slideywindows wrote:
I live by the side of the road and am forced to hear other peoples' noisy exhausts.

Day and night.

Seven days a week.

With the huge increase in traffic on most roads, especially in the South, this latest fashion for "designer noise" is highly unpleasant for millions of people who are forced to endure it.

Please.

I completely sympathise with your point of view which is why I referred to my current exhaust as antisocial rather than illegal. I have been involved with 'drive by' testing of both competition vehicles and heavy goods vehicles using calibrated decibel meters rather than subjective judgement and I suspect that you would be unpleasantly surprised by how high a level of noise emissions is legal, these are total noise emissions, exhaust, tyre roar, rattly tipper bodies, refrigerator engines etc etc. These tests are for type approval of new vehicles or planning permits for motor sport venues, the MOT test is a subjective judgment of whether the exhaust system sounds too loud, based on a static test in the workshop and the testers personal opinion which he or she knows is potentially open to challenge by the owner of the vehicle.
Post #664114 14th Nov 2017 1:05am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
The IVA test allows up to 99db so I would assume that to be an acceptable level Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #664135 14th Nov 2017 7:35am
Kit

Slideywindows wrote:

Day and night.

Seven days a week.

Please.

It sounds like you need to move for your own well being (no pun intended).

Legal noise level is 82 decibels which is still pretty loud but it's the frequency of the sound which will be what you can hear/feel (resonators in the system remove elements of this), that's why you hear a boxer engine in an Impreza from the moon. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #664138 14th Nov 2017 7:46am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
mini Anaconda wrote:

I always drive with the passenger window open just to listen to the noise. Whistle Very Happy

My kind of thinking!! Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #664144 14th Nov 2017 8:12am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Slideywindows wrote:

Day and night.

Seven days a week.

Please.

I agree, completely. There is a large number of expensive German and Italian cars in the area where I am staying at the moment, a significant proportion of which are fitted with gobshyte exhausts and they are typically driven in a supremely irritating manner to make the most of the fact. I have no desire to know what time somebody gets in their car and sets off for work, neither do I need to hear every gearchange they make for the next 20 minutes. If your willy is that small have surgery.

I had a V8 for a while (still have one) which was fitted with a custom made "Y" pipe, a TD5 middle box from a 110 and a plain tail pipe. The sound was very pleasing, but. It was quieter than the previous standard, factory V8 system
Post #664163 14th Nov 2017 10:24am
Jamesy

England 
I had a stainless done at PD Gough from the turbo back, into a smaller box then out on a side pipe behind the door, really helpful guys great workmanship and a good price, its not too noisy and it stays up and out of the way
Post #664649 15th Nov 2017 8:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1