↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Rebuild with a 200tdi or 300tdi?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gas man

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Portofino Red
Rebuild with a 200tdi or 300tdi?
I am rebuilding (slowly) a 1985 C reg 110 station wagon onto a new galv chassis. There are no engine mounts on the new chassis, with a set for the 200tdi ready to weld on.
The donor 110 has a discovery 200tdi fitted to the standard gearbox lt77 from the original 2.5diesel that was in it.
So, I have the opportunity to rebuild with the 200tdi and weld those mounts on.
Or, what about selling the 200tdi and fitting a 300tdi (and welding on 300tdi mounts).
Either way, I need to buy a complete new exhaust. I have got the genuine aircon dash panel and aircon pump on the 200tdi but all the other bits are missing, so perhaps this is an advantage if I could find a cheaper 300tdi discovery with aircon fittted?

What would you do, is it worth it, or should I spend my time welding the door frames etc!
Much appreciated opinions thanks
Post #657759 16th Oct 2017 9:05pm
Scott_Landy

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 110 200 Tdi CSW Firenze Red
I'm no mechanic, but I've had defenders with both engines. Overall I'd say that the 300 has the edge over thr 200. But both are simple to maintain, although 200 more so. 200's seem to be getting increasingly rarer now.

Given a choice between two engine in front of me, I'd,put it more down to condition and mileage than if it is a 200 or a 300.

If you are doing any kind of mileage in it think about the disco transfer box as well. My 200 Tdi 110 always feels like it doesn't want to go much over 60mph.

Also, I maybe wrong, but certainly on the 200 isn't the turbo on the disco engine in a different place than on the Defender?
Post #658336 19th Oct 2017 9:38am
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
I would agree with Scott, 200s are becoming much rarer in good condition as most have been used up in challenge trucks. The discovery 200 has the turbo mounted lower and the ancillaries have slightly different locations. The defender 200 has the turbo mounted up high and finding one in good condition is like looking for hens teeth.

As above I would choose the engine mainly on condition, the 300 and 200 are so similar that parts can even be exchanged between the two Whistle . Spare 200 heads for example are drying up very fast but a 300 head can be made to fit.
Post #658340 19th Oct 2017 10:14am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
I specifically wanted the 200 because it was what my dad had when I was younger, if I didn't attach sentimental value to it I would follow Scotts advice. Get the best engine you can find/afford as there's not a tangible difference between the 200 and 300. 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #658342 19th Oct 2017 10:35am
yostumpy

personally i'd have neither, I'd plump for either a 2.8tgv or an isuzu lump.
Post #658349 19th Oct 2017 11:31am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Seems odd that you've got a new galvanised chassis that requires engine mounts welding on......? 
Post #658352 19th Oct 2017 11:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gas man

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful.
The chassis has no mounts on because it had puma ones on which were cut off prior to galvanising, and so I have the 200tdi/ Petrol mounts on my bench waiting to be welded back on - Shame wasn’t all done it the right order I know!
I’ll keep an eye out for a local mot failure complete 300tdi discovery es (then has aircon pump), whilst I’m getting everything else sorted for the chassis swap, and if nothing turns up I’ll reuse the 200tdi.
Post #658644 20th Oct 2017 7:40pm
Gas man

Well fate came along and so now I have a discovery 300tdi for engine conversion.
I do have some questions please
1. From discovery I will take engine, radiators, air filte box, PAS pump and steering box (defender one leaking). Is there anything else to use?. I don’t really want to mess about with gearboxes as I’m happy with the LT77 that’s in the defender.

2. Engine mounts. I don’t have 300tdi ones, some people say you can cut them off the discovery chassi, others not saying t isn’t the correct alignment and buy from Steve parker.

(

Click image to enlarge

I’ll sel the disco 200tdi fitted to the defender now (and new mounts) and complete radiator kit, inter cooler pipes etc)
Post #661530 2nd Nov 2017 9:22pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Gas man, id be ringing a few defender chassis fabricators and ask their advice, last thing you want to be doing is buying stuff that you may not need or welding on the wrong mounts. Thumbs Up
I have this before with the metro vvc conversion, in the end me and my dad just put the stuff together and seen what the crack was. Thumbs Up

Rear axle off the disco and maybe the front ( just to sell on) Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #664117 14th Nov 2017 1:28am
Gas man

Thanks, good advice to not rush in - I’ve made a few phone calls and so far. The consensus is it will be easiest, as it’s at chassis level to lift engine and gearbox in one go. The passenger side engine mount is the same as the original defender on, so I can tack that on in exactly the correct spot, then bolt the gearbox on its mountings, passenger side engine mount and then tack weld the driver side discovery mounts where it lines up.
Not quite as straight forward as I had hoped, I thought they may be a set pattern or template to use, but it all seems possible, and without the body in the way should be Ok.
The other option was buying Steve parker mounts, but I am hoping I can spare that expense, although it would be easier for the drivers side (and they do come with a template)
Post #664155 14th Nov 2017 8:53am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You have a couple of options. If you put the transmission in the 200Tdi position then you can reuse all the original floor plates, seatbox, propshaft etc. however if you move it to the 300Tdi position then you’ll need all new bits.

If your new galv chassis is drilled and tubed for the 200Tdi & earlier gearbox/t-box mounts (the individual bolt-on mounts that have three bolts through the chassis each) then that is your easiest option. If not then you need to take measurements from another chassis and drill then weld in crush tubes for the mounts. Alternatively you can bolt in a 300Tdi gearbox crossmember (your Disco will yield one) and mount onto that, however as above that will mean lots of new bits.

Either way you’ll need to put the engine mounts on by hanging the whole lot in and mounting the gearboxes in place, then offering up and welding as you suggest.

Another option would be to buy the adaptor that’s now available to convert the Disco R380 shifter to the Defender type and then using that on the 300Tdi gearbox mountings will put your engine in the standard 300Tdi position, weld on the mounts and away you go. Gives you a car that’s all standard in terms of pipes/fittings etc. however does mean replacing the floor and props etc. as above
Post #664170 14th Nov 2017 10:44am
Gas man

Thanks - that’s extremely handy summary. I hadn’t thought about the gearbox mounts, I had assumed they were all the same.
Overall, i’m Just after the cheapest option, as both are fit for purpose. So I think that means keeping the floor and props as they are and going for the 200tdi position. This probably has a slight cost that the exhaust down pipe has to be a Steve parker type, and Fettling the hoses, but overall I think will still be cheaper.
Thanks again
Post #664196 14th Nov 2017 1:13pm
Gas man

This is the current floor / bulkhead plates - I believe it is the earlier type (with a LT77 underneath given the reverse gear position)

Click image to enlarge
Post #664197 14th Nov 2017 1:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1