Home > In Car Electronics > Tablet advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Thon

United Kingdom 
orkneydave wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
I presume (presumption being the mother of all...) that once you have linked the tablet to the garmin, the Google maps app would use the GPS signal in much the same way as it would when supplied by the service provider on your phone? Please know that I am a complete tech muppet, (am I allowed to say that, or is it Muppet-ist in our modern snowflake world?), and tend to cuff it.

Unfortunatly, that's not how it works. The GPS signal is purely for positioning (lat and long) and does not provide any mapping data. It is not provided by your service provider. For Google maps to work, you need to have a data connection too either via wifi or mobile network. You can dounload map data on google maps but this is usually for a route only soyou would need a data connection every time you planned a new route. Other navigation apps do allow downloading of map data so that is a possibility.

Google maps allows you to download a defined area, not just a single route. I have not checked to see whether it is a cut-down map with only highways, but it is certainly an area that you can specify.

I tend to use it for all of my road work, but for anything away from the roads have the OS maps and a Garmin 62S with OS map card, or worst case a paper equivalent.
Post #663540 11th Nov 2017 7:45pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Offline Google Maps is great, it has points of interest, routing and all sorts.
It doesn't have quite as much information as the online one (like opening hours and reviews) but works well enough to navigate to a hotel when your Venezuelan driver has got lost...

However, you can only download a small-ish area.

For large areas offline, I use Here maps, which generally work well.

For greenlanes and stuff, I use a combination of things. To plan the routes I use the GLASS Trailwise website along with Bing's OS maps. I then plot the route on to my phone running Locus Maps and the Open Street Map data. OSM data is clearer than OS data and it's vector maps rather than images so uses a huge amount less space. I've used both OS and OSM, and the OS data is better at identifying rights of way but the OSM stuff is much easier to use becuase it zooms and scales better.

Before using Locus I used Backcountry Navigator which is fine, but not a patch on Locus. I've tried Viewranger and don't get on with it, in particular downloading large areas of mapping which is a pain. Locus just makes it really easy.
Post #664085 13th Nov 2017 9:32pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Bobtailkev wrote:
What would people recommend as the best app for an iPad to show me where green lanes are, whilst I'm driving about? I've researched a few of them, but can't seem to find one for geeen lanes. They only give the options of walking, running or cycling.

Can’t say if it’s “the best app” but I use Gaia GPS to look for and register.
Post #664158 14th Nov 2017 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123