↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 4.7l Petrol Land Cruiser Amazon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
4.7l Petrol Land Cruiser Amazon
Considering a chop and change as I’m not doing many miles now, and I saw one of these for sale. It’s a 2002 with 175k on the clock and a decent service history. The Mot history is tidy too.
Any experience on here of living with a big bus?!

Thanks

Paul
Post #663932 13th Nov 2017 12:21pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
My business partner had three in a row - kept each one for between five to six years and did decent miles in each. He swore by them and was gutted when Toyota UK decided to stop importing the Amazon; he even went as far as trying to do a personal import of a new RHD model.

They were all ultra reliable and bullet proof. Other than the standard things that people moan about with Japanese cars (interiors that don't match German standards) and strange colour combinations (white exterior/tan interior), there is little to fault with them, other than shocking mpg - he struggled to get above 18 combined and was mostly around 16 on a normal town commute.
Post #663935 13th Nov 2017 12:57pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that. Yep, it looks like 16-18mpg is the norm! My 'man maths' allows me to ignore that if I'm replacing two vehicles with the one, so less overall running costs providing mileage doesn't increase. I can't seem to find anything much on t'internet regarding expected engine mileage and known issues, which might speak for itself.
Post #663946 13th Nov 2017 1:53pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Huttopia

A good friend of mine has a 2002 4.2 TD LC Amazon with now just over 250K Miles on the clock...he's had it from new, runs a sports company, so every weekend it's off road and absolutely packed to the headlining with stuff, the roof rack also has front to back Aluiboxes crammed with stuff...every panel shows signs of gentle 'accidental damage', Toyota serviced it for its first 5 years, now it is maintained by our local independent, who is just excellent.

All Mr Fox said I recognise... my friend absolutely trusts this vehicle... twice a year 4 of his company employees head up to the Lakes or Scotland to test equipment, the Land Cruiser has done this now for 15 years without issue, the only problem he's had, as far as I know, was needing to replace the Exhaust when it was 'knocked off' by pushing too hard on the rough stuff, parts are on the upper side of expensive...

Not cheep to buy or to run, but overall reliability counteracts the 'cost of ownership' equation...

Much quoted view..
'if you want to go into the desert take a Land Rover...if you want to come out take a Land Cruiser' Exclamation

Good Luck... Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #663949 13th Nov 2017 2:21pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Not an amazon but my tame mot man had a big diesel 80 series cruiser and loved it. Leather everything, 3 lockers, and even though it was 20 odd years old never missed a beat. Only downside to it was the shear size could get you in trouble off road between trees or walls etc. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #664129 14th Nov 2017 7:19am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I pinged the guy selling and got a response in broken English, with some odd references, so I think I’ll pass on this particular one and keep looking!
Post #664131 14th Nov 2017 7:22am
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
A very good mate of mine has the 4.2 diesel 2002 he uses it to tow a closed car transport trailer all over Europe it had 300,00 plus miles on it he traded in for a 2012 low mileage new model Land Cruiser within a month had traded back to 2005 early model with only 150.000 miles because he thinks the older one are much better than the newer models ,I have driven it a couple of times and apart from the size and I think a little slow on pull away it's lovely ,if you tow a large caravan or a big tri axle trailer they would be one of the best on the market ,the price of Land Cruisers has always put me off buying one and still does or I would have one.There is a 51 plate with 223.000 which is on my ebay watch list with full main dealer history ,looks good in the pictures, well over priced at £8,295 .Well it couldn't of been that over price as it's just sold.
Post #664145 14th Nov 2017 8:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1