↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Dixon Bate slider
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
xcentric

Dixon Bate slider
Have a slider with standard hitch on for towing normal trailer; about to buy another slider for Nato hitch for off-road towing. Does it matter whether one pin slider, or two?
Post #646536 27th Aug 2017 9:24am
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I suppose either one would be strong enough but given the choice why wouldn't you fit the twin pin, not a great deal more cash and a greater sense of security. 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #646537 27th Aug 2017 9:27am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Having used both, I'd go for the two pin. The single pin slider has a certain amount of play in it and coupled with the inherent slackness of the NATO hitch, it clonks constantly. A two pin slider is a much tighter fit and doesn't rattle at all, although the pintle still will, of course. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #646538 27th Aug 2017 9:29am
xcentric

ok much as I thought - 2 pin it is.
Post #646545 27th Aug 2017 10:26am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello xcentric

I did what you are doing, to allow both hitch types to be used, conveniently these (as shown)
are the required heights for my 50mm and Nato Hitch, so both can stay on if required.

The 2 Pin Slider is as stated a good option, and now All Pins have 2 Retaining Clips.
I used my 2 Pin Slider on the 50mm, and actually bolted through to the Support Frame so there
is both no movement and therefore no noise. The Nato Hitch gets used 3-4 times a year so I can
live with my older 1 Pin Slider.

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #648299 4th Sep 2017 8:13pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I contacted Bradley about this when I was thinking of buying a Sankey trailer. Here is their reply :

The standard DB68036 slider which you have fitted to your existing towbar has one pair of securing holes for attaching to the main frame ( see attached), To attach a Pintle you should use the 2 pin slider ( DB68248) you will also need 1 x DB66702, 2 x DB102960 and an adaptor kit V50B-M12-pintle ( the sliders have M16 holes in them and the Pintle M12, the centres are the same and the adaptor ensures the Pintle bolts on safely)

So they were advising the use of a 2 pin slider when attaching a pintle.
Not sure if this was for the amount of play as suggested by Landroveranorack, or because of the potential extra loading from the NATO pintle which is rated at 3.5 T.

The DB66702 and 2x DB102960 were an extra pin and clips for the two pin slider, working on the assumption that I would use the pin from the single pin slider when replacing with the two pin slider.

Thought I would share this if it helps.
Post #648496 5th Sep 2017 8:09pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Re: Dixon Bate slider
xcentric wrote:
Have a slider with standard hitch on for towing normal trailer; about to buy another slider for Nato hitch for off-road towing. Does it matter whether one pin slider, or two?

2 Pin, definitely. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #664125 14th Nov 2017 7:52am
t.seim

Norway 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
lohr500 wrote:
I contacted Bradley about this when I was thinking of buying a Sankey trailer. Here is their reply :

The standard DB68036 slider which you have fitted to your existing towbar has one pair of securing holes for attaching to the main frame ( see attached), To attach a Pintle you should use the 2 pin slider ( DB68248) you will also need 1 x DB66702, 2 x DB102960 and an adaptor kit V50B-M12-pintle ( the sliders have M16 holes in them and the Pintle M12, the centres are the same and the adaptor ensures the Pintle bolts on safely)

So they were advising the use of a 2 pin slider when attaching a pintle.
Not sure if this was for the amount of play as suggested by Landroveranorack, or because of the potential extra loading from the NATO pintle which is rated at 3.5 T.

The DB66702 and 2x DB102960 were an extra pin and clips for the two pin slider, working on the assumption that I would use the pin from the single pin slider when replacing with the two pin slider.

Thought I would share this if it helps.

Hi lohr500.

If it would be possible to get a copy of this e-mail from Bradley, it would be very much appreciated.
I am in the process of getting my Defender 110 approved with the slider setup and the Nato pintle.
I live in Norway so any documentation on the matter will help me convince the Norwegian DVLA that my setup is approved.

Please send me an PM if you are able to help.
It looks like Bradley has been bought by AL-KO. But if anyone of you know if the is possible to get in touch with a Bradley department within AL-KO it would be very much appreciated.

AL-KO do not replay to my emails.

Thanks Torgeir
Post #911471 8th Jul 2021 7:03pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
2 pin every day. Rgds.

Chris
Post #911472 8th Jul 2021 7:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
lohr500 wrote:
... Not sure if this was for the amount of play as suggested by Landroveranorack, or because of the potential extra loading from the NATO pintle which is rated at 3.5 T. ...

Give that a standard towball is rated to 3.5 tonnes it is hard to see why the rating should be the reason (admittedly the geometry is different, but only in as much as nose-weight might be marginally greater for an identical trailer).

t.seim wrote:

... Bradley has been bought by AL-KO. But if anyone of you know if the is possible to get in touch with a Bradley department within AL-KO it would be very much appreciated.

AL-KO do not replay to my emails. ...

Sadly since the take-over of Bradley by Al-Ko the company has become possibly the most arrogant, dismissive, and unhelpful company I have ever tried to get customer service from. I needed spares for a Bradley MH35 coupling (Sanket WT/Penman type) and the initial response was "Bradley didn't make it". When I sent them a photo with the Bradley maker's plate, part number and NSN this changed to "well we wouldn't supply parts to you because it is probably illegal to use on the road". From that point on the co-operation went down hill. I do not believe for a minute that there is a "Bradley department" within Al-Ko, and wonder if the take-over was actually for the purpose of extirpating a source of competition.

I really hope that the company has improved, but I wouldn't count on getting any support on Bradley or Dixon-Bate products from Al-Ko, all the pleasant, knowledgeable, and helpful customer-focussed types who used to work there have either been made redundant or have wisely chosen to leave. Most depressing.
Post #911476 8th Jul 2021 7:29pm
t.seim

Norway 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
That is what I was afraid of.

Hopefully there will be people within this forum that has the documentation needed to get an approval at the Norwegian DVLA.

My hope was that the "E11" approval of the different Dixon-bate components, Adjustable hitch, 2 pin slider plate and the Nato Pintle to be approved as one assembly with the comments that lohr500 had got from Bradley.

Based on the "approval" on Dixon bates components available I think there will be a chance to get my Defender puma 110 approved with the Nato Hitch.
As from the requirements in legislation, personnel cars ( M1) must be fitted with a 50mm ball hitch. My 110 is registered as a M1G ( Off-road vehicle) and with the type approval of Dixon Bate, I cant see any other way that it should be approved by the DVLA.
Post #911501 8th Jul 2021 8:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
What's this look like:

adaptor kit V50B-M12-pintle ( the sliders have M16 holes in them and the Pintle M12, the centres are the same and the adaptor ensures the Pintle bolts on safely)

Any links or photos?
Post #911672 9th Jul 2021 7:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1