↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Td5 ecu woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Trebro

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
Td5 ecu woes
We have a few 110 td5's at work, on has been sat in the workshop for a couple of months awaiting clutch attention, spanner man finished it yesterday went to start it up, no glow plug timer or orange engine management light. Long story short took an ecu of a happy running td5 defender, will now fire up but dies immediately, glow plug light won't cone on again unless you leave it 5 mins or so, does this ecu merely need programming to the defender? For the record The unhappy one is xs spec, the happy one is county spec
Post #663438 11th Nov 2017 12:41pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Don't take my word for it, but I believe ECU's need to be programmed with the tolerances of the injectors. I doubt it would be the alarm as the vehicle is starting up in the first place without the alarm going off Laughing

Also worth check for any oil in the ECU socket or injector loom socket to rule that out.
Post #663469 11th Nov 2017 3:36pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
The easiest thing to do is to pull the configuration off the original ecu, assuming you can access it, and the write the configuration to the replacement ecu. You’ll then need to sync with the 10AS alarm unit.
Post #663478 11th Nov 2017 4:38pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Sounds like it's immobilised but someone has bypassed the relay control to make it crank over irrespective of the immob status.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #663496 11th Nov 2017 5:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The ECU needs to be programmed to pair with the 10AS security unit.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #663497 11th Nov 2017 5:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
It is correct - TD5 engine ECU need to be paired with the alarm ECU (10AS in Defender, BCU in Disco2).
To test engine with short run, or to "go home from a rain forest or a dessert" you can use any TD5 engine ECU with any TD5 engine. Engine will run, but not optimal. To run the engine you have to pair it with the IMO ecu (in Nanocon it is Learn security code), and set correctly the type of gas pedal (2 way or 3 way - without this, it will inly idle).
Without this security code learning, engine will first run for short time, next time it will just crank. This is safety feature against thieves.
In case of not cranking engine there is active IMO (10AS or BCU) so you have to use the plip or EKA code to overcome it.
Starter is controlled (blocked) by the IMO, not by the engine ECU.
Glow and MIL indicators are controlled by engine ECU. When they don't light on with ignition, there is probably problem in the engine ECU - not running main software inside. I have seen this several times - mainly it was because of bad soldering of memory socket in MSB type ecu after chip tunning. In NNN ECU it was made by bad (burnt) resistors between processor and flash memory - the are very low power. Repair was easy, finding the problem not really. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #663630 12th Nov 2017 6:28am
Trebro

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
So in simple terms the original ecu is u/s and any replacement will need programming to the car correct?

Is there any point in sending the old ecu off for repair? If so any suggestions where?
Post #663631 12th Nov 2017 6:35am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Probably your old ecu it death. New on must be the same type - in case od MSB ECU, or must be remapped for correct map if NNN type. For both you have to pair the IMO, set the gas pedal type and set the injectors codes.
Repair - it is possible, but I live in Czech republic, so the shipping will be a bit higher. I have repaired some MSB type ecus, but because of the price of used MSB ecu there is only little place for repair. With NNN ecu there is more space. This is just because of the price of the work and shipping. And it is not 100%, that it will be successful repair. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #663632 12th Nov 2017 6:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1