↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > TD5 low power & poor torque.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scandihoovian

TD5 low power & poor torque.
So, have had slight issues with my ´04 TD5 Defender, 200.000km.

From a cold start it absolutely sucks at torq and I have to A) wait for the engine to warm up 5mins or B) use 4low to get out of my driveways small hill. Engine starts fine, on the first try. Engine runs evenly and does not have any extra noises. It even revs normally when on neutral.
But, in gear and trying to get up that small (15%?) hill and it just start choking, stuttering and dies.

History:
- Blew the head gasket in jan & shop repaired it. It did not seem that engine suffered any extra damage.
Gaskets have gone before as previous owner had installed the new AMC cover, but the previous owner failed to install it properly and it failed on me.
- Injector nr 3 was changed few months after gasket job.
- All the filters have been changed.
- Fuel Pressure Regulator has been changed.
- Throttle pedal crapped out few months ago and was changed.
- Eyeballed MAP & MAF sensors and they looked ok.
- Wiring loom on the engine side has been chaged.
- Turbo wastegate was sticky and caused one overboost but now seems to move quite freely.
- Turbo hose had a small oil leak but repaired, the shop said the turbo was ok though.
- Found out previous owner had apparently gotten it reprogrammed to 150bhp, but had not changed the intercooler nor upgraded the turbo. No programming in it atm.

When warm & highway engine performs relatively well. Pulls ok´ish on higher revs, can hold 120-130kmp/h but lacks the low range torque, and feels a bit anemic.

So, any guesses where to start to hunt for lack of performance? Will get a nanocom in the couple of weeks, but could start troubleshooting in the meantime..

Thx in advance!!
Post #660460 30th Oct 2017 8:21am
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Unplug maf and try then easy to check first off also check red ecu plug for oil 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #660470 30th Oct 2017 9:17am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Boost leak/seized caliper? 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #660474 30th Oct 2017 9:28am
Scandihoovian

Kind of a crosspost from my other thread at a different forum. Hopefully that is ok?

Hmm. Ok. Removed the MAP+MAF couple of weeks ago and both looked intact. The car was in the shop for fault code reading so I somehow presumed the shop would have noticed in diagnostics that the MAF gives wrong readings? Will check out if I can get a hand on a working MAF though, just to check it out.

Weirdest thing, yes.

Few things that have been nagging in the back of my head, "Could it be?" are :

- what symptoms semi stuck EGR would do?

- Some kind of leak in turbo hoses / crapping out actuator?

What I do have that I forgot to mention: i think my clutch is going out as well.
DMF is shaking a bit when coming to a stop for few seconds or if you are taking of by sliding the clutch. Pinion bearing(?) have been screeching loudly now and then.
The car starts moving from stop on flat surface quite normally. But on a cold start and trying to get uphill, hell, had to use 4low to get up from the yard yesterday.

Second weirdness it when trying to get moving on slow speed (1st gear+reverse) the TC can kick in for a second (light comes on) and there is a churning sound from transfercase/gearbox area you can feel on brake pedal as well. Like the abs would be kick on. It goes away when pressing the clutch down. And the TC light can come on for a second if the right wheel hits a larger bump on slow speed with the "gccccrrrrrrrhh" sound as well, like the TC/Abs would kick in...

What a goddamn mystery this is. Flanges were changed in the front few weeks back after front (right) wheelbearing decided to totally seize...after 1000kms... Could it be that the front diff is borked somehow, abs ring being damaged and that is feeding some weirdness to the ECU or whatnot?

There seem to be quite a bit going on with the car. If things would have been simple, I guess the shop(s) would have come up with some kind of solution(s). Now, basically everyone is baffled.
As the car still rolls, things have resorted back to "wait and see what breaks" kind of stalemate..
Post #660970 31st Oct 2017 7:52pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Your ABS/TC Fault could be a few things;

-Worn wheel bearings
-Displaced Sensor (a gentle tap down with a rubber hammer will confirm/disprove this)
-Needle roller bearing inside the hub worn- this is near impossible to check so eliminate everything else first!
-CV/Stub shaft end float not quite correct (needs spacing with shims)

I went through all of these last year with a rougue TC fault.

Chris
Post #660977 31st Oct 2017 8:08pm
Scandihoovian

Quote:

Your ABS/TC Fault could be a few things;

-Worn wheel bearings
-Displaced Sensor (a gentle tap down with a rubber hammer will confirm/disprove this)
-Needle roller bearing inside the hub worn- this is near impossible to check so eliminate everything else first!
-CV/Stub shaft end float not quite correct (needs spacing with shims)

I went through all of these last year with a rougue TC fault.

Chris

Sir! Thank you for pointers!

1. It should not be the wheel bearings. Right hand side seized in april, got rechanged july. First time it got changed, either they failed to lube them or the part was sub standard. All the other 3 wheels have been changed in the last 6mths.
2. Care to elaborate? : I am a noob with the Defender, only a year of ownership (I am full of fail.)
3. I have to check if this was replaced..
4. Would that thing manifest with symptoms described?

And a question : Could the copper ABS position shim (?) manifest itself with this kind of symptoms?

And I apologize if my English & terminology is crap, I am not a native in English so I have a lot to catch up... Very Happy
Post #661045 31st Oct 2017 10:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1