↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Question for DIYers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Question for DIYers
Even though I have to say it myself, I am really good at DIY, and have completely rebuilt two houses, and done stuff, and made stuff that has stunned people. However, I've been asked to construct a rustic timber dining table. That's no problem, in fact it is incredibly easy. But, I've been asked to ensure the timber is bleached white. That isn't a problem, I think, as I think I remember that you spray the timber with bleach and leave it in the UV sunshine for a few days - and it goes white. The problem is what to seal it with after that. It's got to be something that is eco-friendly as people are going to eat off of it. It's also got to be non-staining (clear) so that it doesn't detract the bleached wood effect. But it HAS to be sealed, as one coffee-cup ring mark will be hard to get out! Has anyone any ideas? My first thought was Thompson's Water Seal, but it does stink, and it's not non-toxic. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Now left.
Post #660726 30th Oct 2017 10:21pm
AndyT66

England 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Post #660753 30th Oct 2017 11:08pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Thanks. Yes, funnily enough I've just watched their video on YouTube! I would need to test it, I think, to see if it darkens the wood. I thought of beeswax, but according to another YouTube video, that darkens it. Another video said coconut oil, but I think that would go rancid after time - no good on a dining table! Evidently has to be an oil, but something non-toxic but not organic either. Will get a small bottle of Liberon (if I can) and see. Now left.
Post #660764 30th Oct 2017 11:36pm
AndyT66

England 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I've used it successfully on mahogany chairs, it did enhance the colours though without changing them, very pleased with the result. Good luck, chassis black is far easier !
Post #660783 31st Oct 2017 12:06am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
You do not mention what is the wood? It is necessary to know this to decide for sure the advice. And also is this for internal or external? All oil basing finish will darken wood to a degree as there is penitration. Water based lacquer will keep something such as oak light but not be so much resistant for this use and require more work than an oil/wax blend. Epoxy finishes are becomed popular in recent years very much if you watch to YouTube. It would be difficult for you to purchase a finish that is not inert once it has been deployed/cured for selling within the EU. Nothing I work with if used correctly could not be used of a table for because of this worry and I use everything from retail brands to industrial non-commercial mixes.
Post #660802 31st Oct 2017 7:06am
ken

United Kingdom 
Glass top ?
Post #660807 31st Oct 2017 7:23am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
proloForêt Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. The wood is white softwood - either pine or spruce. Look forward to your advice. In the past, I've used boiled linseed oil on oak, but again it darkened it a fair bit. I want to avoid that if I possibly can, so was ideally looking for a clear oil.
Edit: For indoor use.

Ken. Yes, I asked if they would prefer a white glass top to it, but they want the rough wood finish. Glass adds weight and it has to be toughened in case a plate is dropped on it. It still breaks, but safely. Now left.

Last edited by What puddle? on 31st Oct 2017 10:15am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #660831 31st Oct 2017 8:56am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Raptor it.

Razz 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #660835 31st Oct 2017 9:14am
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Finish it with Rubio Monocoat Clear or Pure...single coat application.

Expensive but the best oil type finish on the market by far.

http://www.monocoat.us/2C-Oil/

N.
Post #660849 31st Oct 2017 9:59am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I have used Osmo top oil on a table. Brilliant stuff and easy to apply. Also recommended for kitchen worktops so should be ideal for your purpose.
Post #660851 31st Oct 2017 10:09am
Rickydodah

In my opinion is that if you are using a highly resinous wood like pine or spruce it will darken over time due to UV anyway. A good Top oil will make it somewhat resistant to staining and water damage it will not prevent it totally. I've tried something like this myself and found that the maintenance of the tables surface to be quite time consuming as it would be scrubbed with household bleach every couple of months, maybe with a bit of added sawdust; this will however raise the grain and it will need to be sanded back unless you like that effect. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #660853 31st Oct 2017 10:12am
proloForêt

Nidge wrote:
Finish it with Rubio Monocoat Clear or Pure...single coat application.

Expensive but the best oil type finish on the market by far.

http://www.monocoat.us/2C-Oil/

N.

+1

Good product this I know.
Post #660880 31st Oct 2017 1:29pm
proloForêt

What puddle? wrote:
proloForêt Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. The wood is white softwood - either pine or spruce. Look forward to your advice. In the past, I've used boiled linseed oil on oak, but again it darkened it a fair bit. I want to avoid that if I possibly can, so was ideally looking for a clear oil.
Edit: For indoor use.

Ken. Yes, I asked if they would prefer a white glass top to it, but they want the rough wood finish. Glass adds weight and it has to be toughened in case a plate is dropped on it. It still breaks, but safely.

If the colour is really to be the most important for the customer I think on a light pine like this that a good water based poly would be your best option. I would not say this if it was for exterior, for that an oil must be the option. Super sand the grain after the first one or two coats because the grain will lift but a good sanding to a high grit also performs as part of the sealing process. It will still look rough and rustic but will be smooth to touch. Over the time with the UV light there will be a colour change slight but even the raw wood will do this.
For best and future without effort take a good oil like Osmo or Mono. You can get tinted versions but do not take these to a pine wood - it does not take stain evenly.
Take a small piece of the wood and apply a few oil coats first and show to the customer the end vision but it too will change over time no matter - so slowly that it is not usual to notice.
Personally I always prefer to use an oil over water base and for a table like a rustic style also do a final with a wax blend after the pure oiling.

Hope it is useful information to you, enjoy the project! Very Happy
Post #660883 31st Oct 2017 1:39pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Thanks everyone, I've ordered a bit more timber than I need, so I can test out both the Osmo and the Monocoat. I've also found a water-based polyurethane. I can't fit the job in for another month, but I'm keen to try it before then, so I'll report back on what worked best. Thanks again. Now left.
Post #660925 31st Oct 2017 5:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1