↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Increase the height of my concrete garage?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Stacey007

We do structural engineering work in our business (architectural) and from what I can see, I think the general advice so far is sound...don't cut anything unless you get to a point that you are sure it's safe.

Your Photograph looks to show an I beam and from your description you may turn this into a T beam, at best, or remove it altogether... as LRA states, it is principally the 'vertical aspect' of this beam that supports the loading. The Roof also looks both wide and flat, and therefore all the metalwork will be working 'hard' to keep things in the air where they should be, It may have been over engineered (to take a decent snowfall for example) and therefore possibly be able to take some short term 'alteration', but typically these structures have already been reduced to only just what is needed... and no more.

Maybe by using adjustable Jack Posts to support the Roof, you can then lift the whole structure to allow the insertion on an additional tier or level...this needs to also be done with safety in mind, avoiding lateral 'sway' dealing with wind etc...(or you may end up on YouTube... Shocked )

If as you say this Garage has a short life expectancy, maybe get your LR in, if possible without Garage Surgery (so its protected over Winter) and take stock next year.

Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #659361 24th Oct 2017 11:21am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Good idea ^

I would not just start chopping. For now the car should go in as it is..

Gives me options then to think or if needs be look at a new wooden one.

Thanks for advice.
Post #659362 24th Oct 2017 11:26am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
You will also find that the roofing is very fragile if it is asbestos cement. Any movement will cause problems.
If your height problem is only at the front, i.e no further obstructions further in, then don't discount digging out the concrete at the entrance to lower the floor.
I hired an electric jack hammer to remove the concrete at the front of my garage. Only took a day. You would not need to go too far into the garage to provide a lower floor at the front. Of course not practical if height obstructions further in.
Post #659389 24th Oct 2017 12:52pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I'm late to the party, but could you fit another smaller piece behind the existing support. Then the old support could be reduced in size.

When we widened our brick garage door, we reduced the width of the centre support by making it deeper. Structural engineer needed as council were approached for advice.
Post #659544 25th Oct 2017 9:33am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
It wouldn't be too much trouble to remodel the front with a 'catflap' design. However, without getting it all calculated out you will always run a risk ion a worst case scenario.

Have you thought about 'scrabbling' out two tracks in the concrete floor to match the positioning of your track width. It would be a messy job, but if you've got the depth of floor to allow it it is quite easy to do by hiring in a machine. A lot will depend upon how deep the reenforcing is below the surface. Only another idea Thumbs Up
Post #659550 25th Oct 2017 9:58am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Thanks all,

Had my dad round to inspect... he would think this is doable if needed. Modify the front support flip it upside down and re attach by bolts.

He's given me a diagram I need to read through,

First though I will see if it fits Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #659654 25th Oct 2017 7:32pm
Alex1976

England 
Rashers wrote:
Reduce your tyre pressure?

I had a friend who when he retired, did a little maintenance on cars as a side line to help bolster his pension. He got the job to rebuild an engine in a Renault Master. His garage door was just too low to get the van in so he reduced the tyre pressures and he just about squeezed the van in.

He was an 'old school' engineer. I'm not sure if this would help you as I presume you are looking for a permanent fix?

One thing to watch if you are playing around with your roof. That looks like concrete asbestos and although it is pretty stable, you wouldn't want to go breaking any of the sheets.

All the structural advice so far looks to be sound. You are not dealing with any real load bearing, the roof is just supporting its own weight (and any dynamic loading such as snow) and acting as a lateral tie for the walls.

The major hazard here is what Rashers has already identified. The rook is highly likely to be pressed asbestos sheet. You need to be extremely careful if disturbing this. Breaking it, cutting it, drilling it etc will release micro fibres that are highly harmful to health. You will not be able to dispose of these sheets at the local tip either. So if you are changing the roof you may want to consider getting a licensed contractor in to remove and dispose of.
Post #659671 25th Oct 2017 8:35pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Understood...

Not planning on messing with the actual roof...

Happy my days seen it, He's a retired surveyor so I have faith in his recommendation.

1st off do nothing as with the original wheels it should go in. Thumbs Up
Post #659680 25th Oct 2017 8:59pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Alex1976 wrote:
You will not be able to dispose of these sheets at the local tip either. So if you are changing the roof you may want to consider getting a licensed contractor in to remove and dispose of.

This might vary from area to area. Derbyshire website states they will take 2 roofing sheets if double wrapped.
It is vaguely worded though. Some things like rubble they give a limit per visit per week. Others like tyres they just say max 4 and asbestos max 2 sheets without specifically saying per visit per week.
Post #659700 25th Oct 2017 10:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12