↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance Rip Off for Basic Modifications - LATEST UPDATE .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
mk1collector wrote:
Hi Blacklab, I think you may be misunderstanding the earlier replys on this topic. I'm certain that most if not all the people who have replied will agree that insurance company's are a complete rip off but...... It is something we all have to have and in recent years pretty much all insurance company have been clamping down on every mod imaginable as a way to make more money (even stickers have made a price rise in some cases) As such I think people were just trying to point out the none factory parts which were on your defender so the insurance company cant wriggle out of anything. The close up picture of the bull bar you put up doesn't look welded to the bumper to me, it looks like it wraps around the bumper although I'm sure you know what your talking about so I'll leave it at that but I believe this kind of bar was never offered from factory but may have been fitted by a dealer when the defender was new before the owner picked it up causing the confusion.

Maybe your right Ray and thanks for putting it across so well . I actually feel sometimes like removing the A-Bar but I checked and I cant actually see where you would remove it without replacing the whole bumper and then that means I need to buy a new bumper . Thats why I had so big an argument with the insurance as they said it was an add on .
I did manage to get all sorted out eventually . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC
Post #659432 24th Oct 2017 5:02pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Thumbs Up it's hard to tell for sure but if you want to take the bull bar off it looks like the type that bolts down in the same place as the bumper, so you could try and remove the bumper bolts and see if the bar and bumper seperate and then re bolt the bumper back on. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #659438 24th Oct 2017 5:47pm
BLACK LAB

I thought the same Ray but there seems to be a seam weld down both sides of the bit that looks like a plate on the bumper . The plate that has the bar welded on to it . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #659447 24th Oct 2017 7:09pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Ah ok, I couldn't tell from the pic. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #659467 24th Oct 2017 8:22pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
On this forum there are some very knowledgeable people who have been on this forum for quite a while and have owned Land Rovers for quite a while. Their knowledge, experience and willingness to share that knowledge is extremely useful to many forum users including myself.

Now Black Lab you do not appear to understand the difference between a bullbar/frontal protection system an A bar and a winch mounting system. These differences have a major impact on the legality of the items and insurance premiums.

Looking at your photograph posted at 3.31pm on 24th October. The weld of the A bar on to the bracket can be clearly seen. Zoom into the photograph and looking at the corner of the bracket I can see NO evidence of a weld between the bracket and the bumper.

On the evidence of your photograph the metal A bar is mounted via a bracket which goes around the standard bumper.

Now most metal A bars are attached via a flat plate mounted on the top surface of the standard bumper.

Your A bar looks very much like LRC6890 which is available from LR Centre HERE
Post #659495 24th Oct 2017 10:09pm
BLACK LAB

Thanks Leeds-
The bar on that link certainly looks like what is on the front of my car . With regards to the welding I can only say what I can see first hand when I thought about taking it off when I was going to go down the LED route as I didnt want a mix of light types at the front . There is a seam weld across the top and down the sides of each plate . Whoever has done it has made a really neat job of it . I would almost be mistaken that one of my very own Filipino or Indian welders had done the job himself with his own steady hand .

Yes there are loads of nice people on here and they are always willing to part with valuable bits of information .
Sadly with many forums you also get quite a lot know it alls . Or at least people who think they know it all .
They may not really be like this in real life and they may part with decent enough information but when they then follow up with worthless statements at the end like " I have no sympathy for you " or other daft stuff written in capital letters or ended with exclamation marks it only serves to put a dampener on any good information that they may have came up with at the start as I am sure that they are decent enough blokes in real life . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #659517 25th Oct 2017 4:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456