↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 90 having a full rebuild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 16 <123 ... 789 ... 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Love the 'moke in the background of the first pic. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #653435 28th Sep 2017 3:38pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Great pics... Still loving the mini Thumbs Up 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #653461 28th Sep 2017 5:52pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
MetalMatt wrote:
Pickles wrote:
MetalMatt wrote:
Quote:
Which engine do you have in the Mini,..power & torque?
Not really up with Minis, but I think I read that 2L & 170KW was about the top engine at the moment?
Pickles.

This is a 2L TwinPower Turbo, With 231bhp (which i think is about 170kw) and torque it has 236ft-lbs. Yes it is the top engine that BMW Mini. I think the Cooper S also has this engine in it as well

That should be plenty.
231BHP??!!...Lol!!...I remember my Mum's first Mini, (1961)...it had 34BHP!
Pickles.

It most certainly is plenty haha.
cant beat a classic mini though. and even with 34bhp i bet travelling at 30mph felt like 60 haha. I love being a passenger in my future mother in laws classic mini (1999) but she has only ever had classic minis since she could drive. Thats the classic in the family. 1275 John Cooper Mini Smile Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

my mate has one of those in flame red, Nippy little thing it is, my auntie had two minis one I think was the 35 year, which she had new, and the other was a tarted up thing, which was full of filler. One thing I do really hate about some mini owners, is that they did break at lot of really good A series metros for their engines rather than just rebuilding their current lumps, MG metro and the MG metro turbos are a very, very rare sight now due to that sadly.
Once thing I have noticed is that classic minis have seemed to have vanished off the road, for some reason! I used to see a fare few of them used as daily cars, not that long ago either. So I am suspecting a fare few of them were binned in the scrappage scheme. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #653476 28th Sep 2017 6:59pm
L110CDL

England 
Great pic's, many thanks Thumbs Up you cant beat a good old mini Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #653508 28th Sep 2017 8:14pm
MetalMatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Love the 'moke in the background of the first pic.

Well spotted Razz and the owners of that have 3 i think lol, But more importantly he has a 90 pickup V8 that is also used for Comp Safari Very Happy 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
1989 Land Rover 90 - Rebuilding/built - its a project
2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 - Sold
2017 Mini JCW F56 - Current Daily Driver
Post #653567 29th Sep 2017 7:57am
MetalMatt

Profyaffle wrote:
Great pics... Still loving the mini Thumbs Up

Thanks Very Happy
Now i have got used to it and know how hard i can drive it yes am loving the mini Razz
Just need to finish the 90 off before winter, just in case there is snow Thumbs Up 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
Post #653568 29th Sep 2017 7:59am
MetalMatt

Procta wrote:
MetalMatt wrote:
Pickles wrote:
MetalMatt wrote:
Quote:
Which engine do you have in the Mini,..power & torque?
Not really up with Minis, but I think I read that 2L & 170KW was about the top engine at the moment?
Pickles.

This is a 2L TwinPower Turbo, With 231bhp (which i think is about 170kw) and torque it has 236ft-lbs. Yes it is the top engine that BMW Mini. I think the Cooper S also has this engine in it as well

That should be plenty.
231BHP??!!...Lol!!...I remember my Mum's first Mini, (1961)...it had 34BHP!
Pickles.

It most certainly is plenty haha.
cant beat a classic mini though. and even with 34bhp i bet travelling at 30mph felt like 60 haha. I love being a passenger in my future mother in laws classic mini (1999) but she has only ever had classic minis since she could drive. Thats the classic in the family. 1275 John Cooper Mini Smile Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

my mate has one of those in flame red, Nippy little thing it is, my auntie had two minis one I think was the 35 year, which she had new, and the other was a tarted up thing, which was full of filler. One thing I do really hate about some mini owners, is that they did break at lot of really good A series metros for their engines rather than just rebuilding their current lumps, MG metro and the MG metro turbos are a very, very rare sight now due to that sadly.
Once thing I have noticed is that classic minis have seemed to have vanished off the road, for some reason! I used to see a fare few of them used as daily cars, not that long ago either. So I am suspecting a fare few of them were binned in the scrappage scheme.

I think as well alot of the classic minis now are stored in garages and used on a sunny Sunday for a drive in the country, due to how easily the rust if used as a daily. The mini in the pic is used as a daily hand has had 2 front end rebuilds so far due to rust and also they arent practical anymore or fit for modern day roads.
I know what you mean with the A series engines now being rare, but its easier to swap an engine than rebuild if you dont have the time. 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
Post #653572 29th Sep 2017 8:08am
MetalMatt

L110CDL wrote:
Great pic's, many thanks Thumbs Up you cant beat a good old mini Wink

thanks Smile Smile
and true you cant beat a classic, after the 90s built and had a breather from doing a rebuild. I will probably buy a classic and have a go restoring one haha i must be a gluten for punishment haha Rolling with laughter 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
Post #653573 29th Sep 2017 8:10am
Procta

United Kingdom 
got say this though matt, my mate nearly died when he saw the prices of mini parts, They really have shot up now and genuine stuff goes for silly money sadly.Mini dealers just take the Censored with prices of parts. I think he is in too minds on weather to restore it or just sell it on due to the prices of the panels and parts sadly.
Rover metro stuff started to get very thin on the ground due to the lack of cars plus rover been out now, things are very hit and miss now with stuff no longer been manufactured. laugh is Carb and SPi stuff is more available than the later MPi bits!
Its a right joke for a British company as you would have thought there would have been more support.
Nice to see it been still used for every day use, and your right about that too the metro was starting to go that way sadly. practical still but for general road use its not really suitable, as they do really rot too. What happened to mine after I started to put miles on it, the Head gasket started to fail which made the car turn into a right money pit! I had already smashed a few 1000 into the car to start off with, i reached a point where it out weighed the enjoyment of the car and it went. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #653670 29th Sep 2017 3:50pm
MetalMatt

Update time on the old 90

Its got to the point now where the 90 is about to have its key turned and see if everything is all okay Smile exciting.
But until i remembered the fuel lines hadnt been put in place. A fairly major part of any engine is having its fuel supply lol so i spoke with my mechanic about getting it in to his work shop as i have no experience in doing this. Then again this whole rebuild i havent had any experience with its all being a learning curve. But i feel if i did the fuel lines something would go wrong haha.
Any ways here is a photo of the old girl on the recovery truck heading off to the work shop Smile Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also added a sticker to the back of the 90 but its not that easily seen so it may come off again haha

Click image to enlarge
 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
Post #658125 18th Oct 2017 2:23pm
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
Making progress I see Thumbs Up
Post #658127 18th Oct 2017 2:33pm
L110CDL

England 
Once you get the fuel to the engine, that will be a great time when she starts up Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #658265 18th Oct 2017 8:39pm
MetalMatt

Well it has been ages since an update on the rebuild has happened. Unfortunatly no photos have been taken. And also work getting hectic due to this time of year been our busy time. i havent had much time to get the 90 ready.

So ran in to a few problems trying to get the 90 to start what a nightmare. Changed all the oils in the diffs, gearbox and engine as well as some fresh power steering fluid. hooked up the battery and Nothing.
So to cut a long story short and also cut out alot of Swearing. The 90 had to have a new starter motor, new earth leads, new ignition barrel before it started. but it started perfectly on the first turn of the key and the engine running sweet as a nut.
Selected first gear and a mass of crunching noises occoured. gearbox doesnt want to play ball, tried it in low range and high even with transfer box in neutral and still making horrible crunching noises, pulled the top of the box off and had alook nothing seems to have broken tried again and still horrible noises. So next step is box back out of the 90 and check the clutch if not the box if off to a reconditioners. Just my luck as soon as i make a good amount of progress, I think the 90 just prefers to look like an overly expensive model Rolling with laughter

Now the positive to this and to me is the engine runs now. so it wont be long before its travelling underits own steam again. but the fuel filter and pipes do need to be moved from the bulkhead to the front of the passengers wing where it should be for a 300tdi due to not being able to fit the airfilter box and pipe to the turbo.

so it might not be ready for the end of this year, but am hopeful for it to be ready in the very early months of 2018. bit longer than i wanted but doing this full rebuild has taught me a lot of things that i wouldnt have learnt if i hadnt done it and also to not do another rebuild any time soon haha Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
Post #668859 4th Dec 2017 10:39am
Procta

United Kingdom 
you always get a pain in the arse with something, When me and my dad did the vvc conversion, could we hell get it to start! turned out to be a knackered engine loom. Once that was sorted out all was well.
As for crunching gears, did you have the clutch pedal in bits? if so check the pedal height. and adjust it if its needed. Other wise you will kill the clutch like my dad did. If you have haven't messed with the pedal and bled everything up ok, It might be worth letting it tick over a while just to get the oil around the boxes. My dads wouldn't go into gear at all at 1st, but with him letting it tick over, and then trying a gear. Once he did that the gearbox started to play ball. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #668986 4th Dec 2017 8:14pm
MetalMatt

Quote:

you always get a pain in the arse with something, When me and my dad did the vvc conversion, could we hell get it to start! turned out to be a knackered engine loom. Once that was sorted out all was well.
As for crunching gears, did you have the clutch pedal in bits? if so check the pedal height. and adjust it if its needed. Other wise you will kill the clutch like my dad did. If you have haven't messed with the pedal and bled everything up ok, It might be worth letting it tick over a while just to get the oil around the boxes. My dads wouldn't go into gear at all at 1st, but with him letting it tick over, and then trying a gear. Once he did that the gearbox started to play ball.

Tell me about it being a pain in the arse lol think the reason for it not starting was a properly knackered starter motor. It was full with thick clay like mud haha. But i do remember having to hit it with a hammer afew times to get it started the last time (3yrs ago) i took it to a pay and play day.

As for the gear box we are gonna start by checking out the clutch as this gearbox came out of a doner discovery, as i drove it to my mechanics took it out and put it straight in to the 90. and then it has been sat for 8months till last saturday when we finally got the engine running and ready to drive it. So hopefully it will be an easyish/quickish fix. If not a bit of headscratching etc We did let it tick over once we got it started for about 5mins. That may not have been long enough lol 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
Post #669088 5th Dec 2017 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 16 <123 ... 789 ... 141516>