↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 1996 defender project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Just love it in it's natural habitat Very Happy great to hear it's your daily drive now Wink Cool 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #655510 6th Oct 2017 9:44pm
Stoney

1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Epsom Green
Cheers for the comments guys!
So the winch bumper I made around 5 years ago needed some TLC, the old rotating shackles weren't great and i never really trusted them, its needed some more drain holes and its needed to be adjusted to fit a new warn winch i got for a bargin on ebay just needed a new solenoid.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also got a new power steering box, a lot less play drives alot nicer, just needed some paint before fitting.

Click image to enlarge

Exmoor retrim kit, much more comfy !!! and look great but seat covers will be on most of the time

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Soft top parts, bumper a bar and other bits back from the powder coaters

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And probably the best modification I have made so far the VGT turbo, I have been looking at one for years and finally a dealer had a sale on so I bit the bullet. While fitting I have advanced the timing on the pump which in its self made a massive difference but the Turbo its great, makes the biggest difference on long hills motorways etc. I have just fitted an EGT gauge so will play some more with the pump next week and try again with the boost pin which i haven't had great with success before

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also added a light bar to the new gutters, not massively keen on the looks but its so damn bright !! so can stay for now

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And I have raptor coated some parts, Door cards, tree sliders, tow hitch, winch

Click image to enlarge

That its not basically up to date as of this week, Will get out next week and get some pictures of how the whole truck is looking at the moment. Really happy with how it is at the moment and coming from having some quite powerful petrol and diesel dailys this is still the most fun to drive 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #655703 7th Oct 2017 9:00pm
L110CDL

England 
Great update, thanks Thumbs Up before you got the bumper powder coated, do you get it galvanised first ?

I to have been on the fence with the turbo upgrade, but not sure it will do my engine any good at 318,600 miles Rolling Eyes what sort of miles has yours done ? many thanks. 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #655949 8th Oct 2017 9:32pm
Stoney

Cheers Clayton, no the bumper was blasted then coated anything that was already Galvanised was primed and coated.
Mine is just coming up to 160,000 miles I have had the head and sump off at various times and all has been perfect. I think as long its been maintained correctly your milage shouldn't be an issue.

Jack 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #656445 10th Oct 2017 9:23pm
L110CDL

England 
Many thanks for the info Jack Thumbs Up i service mine every 6,000 miles as stated in the book, the original head gasket went at 232,000 and when the head was off my mechanic said it was like new inside Very Happy like you i think that if there is a sale on with a good discount, will see what i can do Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #656688 11th Oct 2017 11:10pm
Stoney

I got mine from TMD they seem to have a sale when ever the big shows are on, so worth keeping an eye out ! 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #656694 11th Oct 2017 11:44pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Lovely Thumbs Up The turbo looks... Cool Great work . 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #656697 12th Oct 2017 1:21am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Great update. Love what you are doing. What is this raptor coating you mention? is it non-slip? my rock sliders are in desperate need of some TLC.
Post #656731 12th Oct 2017 10:31am
L110CDL

England 
Stoney wrote:
I got mine from TMD they seem to have a sale when ever the big shows are on, so worth keeping an eye out !

Thanks for the info Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #656895 12th Oct 2017 9:14pm
Stoney

Geobloke, yep the raptor is non slip and dead easy to apply, I used to have shultz on mine the raptor is far better 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #656970 13th Oct 2017 8:38am
Greeny

England 

Click image to enlarge

Is the Raptor coat hard wearing enough on the rock sliders? With them being used as steps for getting in and out etc. Instagram - @Land_Rover_Defender
Post #705340 4th May 2018 10:25pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
Stoney wrote:
Cheers for the comments guys!

And probably the best modification I have made so far the VGT turbo, I have been looking at one for years and finally a dealer had a sale on so I bit the bullet. While fitting I have advanced the timing on the pump which in its self made a massive difference but the Turbo its great, makes the biggest difference on long hills motorways etc. I have just fitted an EGT gauge so will play some more with the pump next week and try again with the boost pin which i haven't had great with success before

I have been looking at adjusting the pump on my 200tdi. I was going to check the pump static timing and considering advancing it slighting.

How much advance did you give the pump? I was thinking of checking the lift on the plunger is factory 1.54mm and increase to 1.6mm?

Or did you fit a dynamic timing spacer?
Post #705555 5th May 2018 9:48pm
Stoney

sorry for the slow reply guys,
Greeny- Raptor is defiantly hard wearing enough, the shultz i had before wore off but no sign of the raptor doing it yet and its been rubbed against trees and ditches off-road.

Landrover-

mine was set just below 1.54 can't remember what exactly and i took it up to 1.6 so i haven't fitted and dynamic spacer yet. i am tempted to but believe i will need to change the timing back to 1.54 something i need to look into a bit more first! would be interested in any results you've had from playing with the pump 300 TDI 90 now soft top
Post #709550 28th May 2018 12:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567