↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Windows Screen Brackets Corrosion - How Long To Fix?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Nope Derby. Still not finished - now been told to expect it next week *sigh*
Post #653648 29th Sep 2017 2:00pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
So spoke to the dealer today.

Firstly I got told that the window screen brackets are on back order from JLR so to expect it to be a while.

I then got a phone call telling me all parts had arrived and it'll be back on Friday.

So who knows - it may or may not be ready sometime soon.
Post #654369 2nd Oct 2017 4:00pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Hi Sockpuppet,

Just got back from Marshall Landrover at Melton Mowbray, to show them the same corrosion problems you have. The body shop manager came out to look at the windscreen surround and screen bracket. Also looked inside the back doors, low level sill area, and showed me some corrosion starting there as well. Took loads of photos and promised to get back to me within about a week, saying there shouldn't be any issues with getting it fixed under warranty. When I asked how long it would take, he assured me it would only be 4-5 days tops. Screen out, but screen surround left in place.

Anyway, any news on yours yet ? I mentioned your problems regarding how long you've been without yours, and he advised you contact LR customer relations, and discuss your frustrations with them, as it sounded totally unacceptable.

I'll keep you informed of my progress,

Cheers

Ashbyandy
Post #656799 12th Oct 2017 2:36pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
I got the car back yesterday. Looks ok but not had chance to a proper gander / leak test yet.

I'll take it up with LR - just happy to have it back as had jobs piling up that I couldn't do with the disco sport I was given as no tow bar.

Mine had to have the surround replaced so a roof off job, still not 8 weeks worth of work.
Post #656803 12th Oct 2017 2:39pm
Ashbyandy

What year is your Defender, and do you have any pictures of the screen corrosion, sounds pretty bad to need a new surround.

So 8 plus weeks in all, not bad going Sad .

Andy
Post #656805 12th Oct 2017 2:50pm
myonehere

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
HELP.. outside screen brackets.

I have this corrosion problem on my 2 -year - old Defender. I had it on my 2013 version - and they fixed them under warranty, no problem.

This time, however ,they INSIST that the problem is a ''stone chip'' and REFUSE to do anything about it. When, quite clearly, the bracket is corroding under the existing paint.

They also add that " as there have been modifications" this also obligates them from any rectification. Pardon?. Modifications are minor and do not involve anything around that area.
Post #656814 12th Oct 2017 3:48pm
Ashbyandy

Finally got around to popping into Marshall Landrover in Melton on 12th October, to show them my windscreen surround and windscreen block corrosion. Body shop manager came out had a look, also checked the inner sills inside rear doors, and pointed out some other issues with corrosion, common on 110’s. Took loads of photos, plus vehicle details and said he would be in touch within a couple of weeks, also saying that there shouldn’t be a problem with sorting everything out under warranty. Last Thursday 26th, and true to his word, he called me to say that although Landrover had approved the work, they were still in discussions with regard to how long it should take. Marshall’s had said about 4 days total, which LR thought was excessive. However Monday morning another call to say all was agreed, and 110 booked in for Monday 13th November, promised back by Friday 17th. All good so far. Must admit I’m pretty pleased with the response from Marshall’s and LR so far. Will keep you posted.

Anyway ‘myonehere’, keep persevering, maybe try another dealer, there seems to be so many different dealer responses to warranty corrosion works, up to now I seem to be pretty lucky.

‘Sockpuppet’, are you pleased with the final outcome of your repairs ?

Cheers fo now,

AShbyandy
Post #661686 3rd Nov 2017 5:13pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Yeah on the whole yes.

The dealer waived the hire car charges - £12/day admin charge for insurance so I was facing a bill of £700 which I was less than thrilled about.

So in the end I got a disco sport for 2 months for free and put 5000 miles on it so can't grumble really. I still missed my defender and glad to have it back but it's not got 5k less miles on it than it would have had.
Post #661711 3rd Nov 2017 7:44pm
Ashbyandy

Hello Sockpuppet,

Well I took my Defender into Marshall Landrover at Melton on Monday, for the corrosion repair work to the screen surround, one window block, and the inner sills to both middle row doors. I also had a massive stone chip on the drivers side rear door, and some more small ones on the edges of the door, thanks to a gravel lorry that threw some stones at me just after I got it.
This work I did pay for though.

Anyway just got it back today, fully polished, and all work done, including two completely new window blocks. Earlier this year I also managed to ding and scratch my bonnet on the wiper arm when showing a mate how to remove the bonnet for easily access to engine bay, (sorry he managed to ding and scratch my bonnet by being a bit of bull at a gate while demonstrating how to do it). So today, the paint shop manager said he had an apology to make, for denting the bonnet while removing it for the other work, but has had the whole thing repaired and fully re-sprayed, but they are still waiting for the new Defender bonnet badge. I had to own-up to the damage, but still got it done for free. I have offered to pay for the badge though when it arrives. The poor apprentice got the blame, hopefully they will apologise to him.

They had also filled it with fuel, it was only a third full.

All in all, a great result, and a a great job done, really pleased,

BFN

Ashbyandy
Post #665110 17th Nov 2017 3:52pm
RockJaw

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Sockpuppet wrote:
Yeah on the whole yes.

The dealer waived the hire car charges - £12/day admin charge for insurance so I was facing a bill of £700 which I was less than thrilled about.

So in the end I got a disco sport for 2 months for free and put 5000 miles on it so can't grumble really. I still missed my defender and glad to have it back but it's not got 5k less miles on it than it would have had.

For the price of little windscreen "coffins" it is much more convenient to either have the dealer replace them or just replace them yourself. They don't cost much, but if the corrosion has spread below the seals - that's a different story ****CENSORED****
Post #665119 17th Nov 2017 4:33pm
pannawonica

Australia 
Be careful with this one, the bulkhead is the sacrificial anode, and if you corrosion treat it I don’t know what will happen too the rest of the truck! Land Rover got mine right nearly seven years later and as good as new! And no rust treatment ! Thumbs Up
Post #665263 18th Nov 2017 10:37am
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Ashbyandy wrote:
Hello Sockpuppet,

Well I took my Defender into Marshall Landrover at Melton on Monday, for the corrosion repair work to the screen surround, one window block, and the inner sills to both middle row doors. I also had a massive stone chip on the drivers side rear door, and some more small ones on the edges of the door, thanks to a gravel lorry that threw some stones at me just after I got it.
This work I did pay for though.

Anyway just got it back today, fully polished, and all work done, including two completely new window blocks. Earlier this year I also managed to ding and scratch my bonnet on the wiper arm when showing a mate how to remove the bonnet for easily access to engine bay, (sorry he managed to ding and scratch my bonnet by being a bit of bull at a gate while demonstrating how to do it). So today, the paint shop manager said he had an apology to make, for denting the bonnet while removing it for the other work, but has had the whole thing repaired and fully re-sprayed, but they are still waiting for the new Defender bonnet badge. I had to own-up to the damage, but still got it done for free. I have offered to pay for the badge though when it arrives. The poor apprentice got the blame, hopefully they will apologise to him.

They had also filled it with fuel, it was only a third full.

All in all, a great result, and a a great job done, really pleased,

BFN

Ashbyandy

Glad to hear it. I wonder if they have their own body shop. I get the feeling mine was just at the bottom of the pile behind more valuable crash repairs.
Post #665347 18th Nov 2017 5:59pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just had the windscreen surround on my 2015 90 repaired at Harwoods in lewes. Near side top and bottom corrosion. Went in on Monday and back on the Friday. Loan Car provided and all good. They wouldn’t change the windscreen frame as requested but did replace the windscreen seal and fit new hinge blocks. Pics below before the work. Not obviously bad.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The finished job is like new. Hopefully this will have a long term resolution but stopping corrosion is always a challenge. !!
Brian 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #665385 18th Nov 2017 7:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123