↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > NEXT LAND ROVER DEFENDER
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 35 <123 ... 242526 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
I feel I've moved on from all of this now. I needed something to replace my 90 due to the arrival of my son, reluctantly bought a Volvo estate but I'm actually very happy with it. There is literally nothing in the LR line up now that tempts me. They are simply not worth their price tags IMO. Ive still got an old 90 but I'm increasingly beginning to think it may be my last. I was a big fan of the D4 which they've now ruined (imho) so I hold out little hope for the defender replacement assuming it ever actually arrives.
Post #656318 10th Oct 2017 12:21pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I've yet to fully move on; I'm still grieving. My phone cover has a Defender 90 on it, my garage has 90 pictures on the wall, I still avidly read anything to do with Land Rover...yet I'm seeing two Suzuki Jimnys tomorrow, and looking forward to the new Jimny when it's released in 2018 (I checked with Suzuki UK). Like you, I loved the D4, and the D3, and I also like the Evoque. I don't like ANYTHING else LR does. They've missed so many tricks over the years (in my opinion!) like the failure to have a Yeti, that they make my blood boil. Until I see the new Defender, and read what it's like, I can't fully move on. If it's great, and priced sensibly, then they still have me and my money. But the wait has been absurd for a serious car company, and they've made themselves look incompetent to me, and others. I'm not a footballer or a dentist, so I guess I'm not in their sights, anyway. I look forward to the Ineos 4x4. Maybe that will be the true Defender.
Post #656326 10th Oct 2017 12:56pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Just my thoughts.
The Ineos will not be a "True Defender", if it ever happens...I don't think it will have any character, credibility, or resale value.
The Suzuki Jimny, whilst it may be a good vehicle, in its own right, can, IMHO in no way be compared to the Defender,...I reckon it's a bit of a toy in comparison.
I'm only an "ordinary" buyer too, and I have no idea what the price will be, but I would expect it to be dearer than "our", or the last Pumas.
Yes, the wait has definitely been long, but I reckon, the longer the wait, the greater "distance" between old & new, which I think is good for the old model.
Speth, the chief of JLR says He's driven the "new" Defender, I reckon we'll have some idea about it by the end of 2018. I don't think I'll be buying a new Defender, but I'm certainly hanging out to see what it's like.
I've no idea what the new Defender will be like, but Gerry says, it'll definitely "have elements of the old", will be the most capable 4WD ever, so my view is that it will be quite spectacular, but of course like everyone else, I've got no idea at all.
Can't see you buying a Jimny?!....Ya've just gotta be patient!
Regards, Pickles.
Post #656458 10th Oct 2017 9:38pm
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Good comments Pickles, agree with everything you say. Of course the next Defender will be more money - and aimed at a different market. But in some respects that's a good thing, it will ensure healthy demand for our 'classic' Defenders which by comparison will be good value. If I were poised to spend £13k on a Jimny, let alone £30k on a Shogun, I'd buy a secondhand Defender. Almost certainly hold its value better, not to mention being the genuine article Wink 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #656467 10th Oct 2017 10:34pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Taken from the 2018 FFRR release, I like the sound of that in the next Defender:

Quote:
The 4-wheel-drive capability of the 2018 Range Rover is managed by a new transfer case design, which has a smart actuator rather than a separate motor and ECU. This results in a 3.3-pound reduction in weight and is controlled via a multi-plate clutch. Together with the bevel gear center differential it provides a 50:50 torque split.
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #656483 11th Oct 2017 7:22am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Pickles wrote:
I've no idea what the new Defender will be like, but Gerry says, it'll definitely "have elements of the old"

Leaks, rattles, shoddy build quality, and poor reliability perhaps? Rolling with laughter
Post #656488 11th Oct 2017 8:04am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Pickles wrote:
Just my thoughts.
The Ineos will not be a "True Defender", if it ever happens...I don't think it will have any character, credibility, or resale value.
The Suzuki Jimny, whilst it may be a good vehicle, in its own right, can, IMHO in no way be compared to the Defender,...I reckon it's a bit of a toy in comparison.
I'm only an "ordinary" buyer too, and I have no idea what the price will be, but I would expect it to be dearer than "our", or the last Pumas.
Yes, the wait has definitely been long, but I reckon, the longer the wait, the greater "distance" between old & new, which I think is good for the old model.
Speth, the chief of JLR says He's driven the "new" Defender, I reckon we'll have some idea about it by the end of 2018. I don't think I'll be buying a new Defender, but I'm certainly hanging out to see what it's like.
I've no idea what the new Defender will be like, but Gerry says, it'll definitely "have elements of the old", will be the most capable 4WD ever, so my view is that it will be quite spectacular, but of course like everyone else, I've got no idea at all.
Can't see you buying a Jimny?!....Ya've just gotta be patient!
Regards, Pickles.

Hello Pickles. Ha, ha, yes, if you'd had said a while back that I would be looking at Jimnys, I would have laughed in your face. But everyone I've spoken to (who has one) absolutely loves them. I went online last week and read lots, and they are much-loved. The weird thing is, I haven't yet heard a single bad thing about them! They are small, but everything else seems to be a plus. I won't be catching the seatbelt in the door catch, or hitting my elbow on the door top, nor snagging my thumb on the dashboard when putting the handbrake on! Rolling Eyes

As Acuss01 says, no point in spending so much money on a Shogun when you could use that cash to have a nice 90. That said, however, I once had a Shogun and it was one of the best two cars I've ever owned. I think I've been patient enough, and it's almost exhausted. Made an offer on a Jimny yesterday, and will be making another today, so I'm afraid my Defender days (some 20 years now) are almost over.
Post #656504 11th Oct 2017 9:22am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Jimnys are awesome!

The Singapore army uses them, they look the part with big wheels, raised suspension, etc.

And the advantage of a Jimny is that 4-5 blokes can pick it & move it if it gets stuck Rolling with laughter --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #656505 11th Oct 2017 9:25am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Yes, the MT tyres and a suspension lift look good!

Click image to enlarge

Can Martin fine me or something for posting a Jimny pic on here? Shocked
Post #656509 11th Oct 2017 9:45am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
He's probably erecting the stake against which you'll be burnt as we speak Twisted Evil Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #656511 11th Oct 2017 9:47am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
What puddle? wrote:

Can Martin fine me or something for posting a Jimny pic on here? Shocked

Fine yourself, you know where the donate link is Whistle Whistle  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #656512 11th Oct 2017 9:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Sent you a fiver, but for that I get to post another pic!

Post #656517 11th Oct 2017 9:59am
spudfan

Ireland 
Look at the current Discovery (any model) and the original Discovery. I'd say that will give you a good idea as to how far removed the new Defender will be from the existing one.
I bet one of the main design features specified for the new Defender was to make it "city parking friendly". Think of all of those height restrictions that are the bane of us all. The new target audience will want to be able to park it freely.
Basic utility vehicles, or those derived from them, don't usually get supplied with a lot of optional extras as the buyers of such vehicles don't want them. This is where the real money is. The new Defender will have a list of available add ons aimed at the new audience. So it will be able to be speced up to eye watering specifications, not something the present buyers do.
It may be very capable but this could be AFTER a heap of add ons are added to the basic spec vehicle at an appropriate cost.
I have never owned anything other than a 90 or a 110. I just like them. If there were no 90 or 110 I would not have bought a Land Rover. I don't like anything else in the current Land Rover line up. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #656521 11th Oct 2017 10:20am
Panda

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Fuji White
I think the new defender will be released around the 18th April 2018 to mark 70 years of our beloved motor. So not long to wait at all.

Thumbs Up Monty-2015 2.2 110 XS Puma Station Wagon
Yoda Disco 3-Sold
Larry Disco 1-Sold
Muddly XS 90 TDCI-Sold
Pearl Disco 2-Sold
Larry Disco 1-didn't want too but sold
Post #657362 15th Oct 2017 9:01am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Post #657369 15th Oct 2017 9:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 25 of 35 <123 ... 242526 ... 333435>