↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance Rip Off for Basic Modifications - LATEST UPDATE .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
SonicFields

Perhaps all non-OEM parts should carry a similar warning sticker to cigarette packets:'These parts may seriously damage your insurance cover' Idea
Post #655086 5th Oct 2017 10:04am
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Just that more folk need to be aware . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC
Post #655144 5th Oct 2017 4:22pm
Ayrshirelandy

Scotland 
I am with NFU and no issues, in fact they looked upon the steering guard and tank guard as providing protection to the vehicle and possibly saving a claim for damaged parts! 2015 Defender 110 XS Utility Santorini Black, sawtooth alloys, steps and so much more...........
Post #655167 5th Oct 2017 6:22pm
BLACK LAB

Latest saga in the insurance .........Thought everything was sorted out when I had declared that I had modifications on vehicle regarding the wheels and chequer plate having been made black - Had listed it in their modifications " non standard paintwork" section so they placed me on a modified vehicle policy . Fair enough £365 a year fully comp .

They have since written to me and said that their underwriters are saying that the actual chequer plate itself is classed as a modification and not standard on a Defender and also that the bull bars and spot lights are modifications . Therefore they are trying to extort extra money . An extra £30 which I can afford easily but it is the point of it - That they are trying now to say standard factory fitted stuff is also modifications.

I feel like telling them to ram their insurance right up their .......

This chequer plate has been on the vehicle since it rolled out the factory and also the A-frame bullbar with spot lights is standard as well .

Surely removing the standard chequer plate and A-frame with spots would be the real modification if it had came out the factory with them already fitted ?

Are they going to class having a steering wheel as a modification nowadays ?

Is there anywhere I can write to at Landrover to get confirmation that chequer plate is indeed commonly standard on a Defender and that some vehicles actually come out the factory with an A-Frame and spot lights fitted as well ?

Click image to enlarge
 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS

Last edited by BLACK LAB on 10th Oct 2017 4:59pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #656280 10th Oct 2017 9:39am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
You get this with insurers/underwriters who do not want the business - they decide for whatever reason that they don't want Defender owners as customers that month/quarter/year/whatever.

Find an insurer/underwriter who does actually want your business. Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #656287 10th Oct 2017 10:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I consider insurance companies to be a necessary evil Evil or Very Mad

For all their happy cheerful smiling adverts on the tellybox and everywhere else, the whole point of their existence is to make profit for themselves. It’s yours and my own premiums that bring them their riches, not paying out claims. It’s in their interests to maximise the first and minimise the second.

What particularly irks me is that they seem to immediately latch onto the slightest modification to increase the premium. Yet no insurance company/broker I’ve ever spoken to has expressed any interest let alone premium reduction for the various anti-theft measures I’ve put in place which clearly would lessen the risk of a successful theft/claim. Nor are they the least bit interested in the different driving courses or qualifications I’ve obtained.

There was a time when insurance companies were even trying to do away with the “no claims discount”. On approaching a company for a quote, the agent told me “No Sir, your no claims record doesn’t entitle you to a discount. It’s a “renewal discount we offer and you will be a new customer so you don’t qualify”. Whilst that might not be a current issue anymore, I feel it starkly reveals the continuing attitude that persists in other more subtle ways.

I realise I’m not adding much to the issues discussed in this thread - but I feel much better just being able to talk out loud about an industry that appears beyond anyone’s influence
Post #656290 10th Oct 2017 11:01am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
BLACK LAB wrote:
Latest saga in the insurance .........Thought everything was sorted out when I had declared that I had modifications on vehicle regarding the wheels and chequer plate having been made black - Had listed it in their modifications " non standard paintwork" section so they placed me on a modified vehicle policy . Fair enough £365 a year fully comp .

They have since written to me and said that their underwriters are saying that the actual chequer plate itself is classed as a modification and not standard on a Defender and also that the bull bars and spot lights are modifications . Therefore they are trying to extort extra money . An extra £30 which I can afford easily but it is the point of it - That they are trying now to say standard factory fitted stuff is also modifications.

This chequer plate has been on the vehicle since it rolled out the factory and also the A-frame bullbar with spot lights is standard as well .

Surely removing the standard chequer plate and A-frame with spots would be the real modification if it had came out the factory with them already fitted ?

Is there anywhere I can write to at Landrover to get confirmation that chequer plate is indeed commonly standard on a Defender and that some vehicles actually come out the factory with an A-Frame and spot lights fitted as well ?

Here is a picture of the heavily modified vehicle Rolling Eyes

I thought all chequer plate and bull bars were fitted at dealers and not the factory? If so they may have a point. Also I don't think your spots are genuine Landrover Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #656305 10th Oct 2017 11:38am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I thought all chequer plate and bull bars were fitted at dealers and not the factory? If so they may have a point. Also I don't think your spots are genuine Landrover

I wonder what the insurers attitude would be when investigating a claim in these circumstances when the vehicle owner’s original information was given in good faith but turns out to be incorrect? Is giving the information in good faith enough or do we have to investigate and establish the provenance of our vehicles and parts before entering into a contract of insurances?

Is this a potential critical issue or am I now just being silly? Rolling with laughter
Post #656364 10th Oct 2017 3:57pm
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
xcentric wrote:
incidentally, a roof rack also counts as a modification.....

since it's an addition and hardly a modification, I wonder if polish does too?

Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
Post #656367 10th Oct 2017 4:02pm
BLACK LAB

mk1collector wrote:
BLACK LAB wrote:

Here is a picture of the heavily modified vehicle Rolling Eyes

I thought all chequer plate and bull bars were fitted at dealers and not the factory? If so they may have a point. Also I don't think your spots are genuine Landrover

I thought all chequer plate was pretty standard on a Defender in factories . I've not know many Defenders without it really ?
The A-Bar seems like its been on there since day one - Its actually welded part of the bumper - There's nothing galmourous or after market looking about it . The spots are replacements as the ones on there were leaking with water lying in them . The wiring seems all original and not after market .

Is this the stage where we are at now ? If you happen to replace simple things like spot lights with a different brand they will class that as a modification ?

What about your tyres pal ? Is your tyres the same brand that your Defender rolled out the factory with ?
Would you class changing tyres to a different brand as a modification ?

They side steps I have are still Landrover Defender side steps but just not the crappy fold down ones I bought the vehicle with . I wouldnt classify that as a modification cos its still a Landrover Defender side step .

They were just chancing it today to see if I would cave - Anyway they eventually saw sense after I held firm and told them they were'nt getting another penny and just to cancel it . They said as a gesture of good will they would honour the original price . I feel sorry for the folk out there who cave to these opportunistic extortionist insurance companies .

By the way if I had went with A-Plan on here I would have been £65 cheaper for it all anyway but as that other mob was prepared to honour the original £365 I just stayed with them . I will know better next year . A-Plan . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #656382 10th Oct 2017 4:47pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Just had my renewal quote which covers every single mod ( and there are a lot) including the latest black LED lights done last week and based upon 13000 miles a year with business usage not in a garage but on the drive overnight and the cost ......£275.00 Thumbs Up
Thankyou very much LV Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #656596 11th Oct 2017 4:23pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've a couple of close friends who work at Lloyds of London. I was chatting about unreasonable terms on insurance (specifically the parking outside your own garage). Apparently, the latest insurance act prevents unreasonable terms, but the definition of unreasonable is along the lines of 'what would the insurance company have done if they had known at the time the policy was taken out'. By refusing even the most trivial modifications, they're ensuring that they won't fall foul of the act.
If they refuse a claim, but say that they would have covered the mod for an extra £xxx per year, they're breaking the law! They have to say they'd have refused to insure.

Early days for the act, be interesting to see how it develops.
Post #656708 12th Oct 2017 6:25am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Now was the A bar described as a bull bar?

If so that might cause confusion for the insurance company/underwriters.

A bull bar is normally use to mean what is officially a FPS or Frontal Protection System. There are various laws regarding FPS and there are lots of confusion around this issue.

Brendan
Post #656720 12th Oct 2017 8:01am
BLACK LAB

I never called it anything Brendan . A-Bar / Bull bar - makes no difference to me really . I know its been on there as part of the original bumper since day 1 .
I never even mentioned it as I see it as part of the original car just the same as the wing mirrors or steering wheel . It was the insurance company that came back to me after one of their so called experts said its a bull bar and its a modification along with the chequer plate . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #656743 12th Oct 2017 10:36am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Except it is not part of the original car and there is no way that it left the factory like that. You also mentioned that it is welded on, which is highly irregular and not the standard way to fit a standard a-bar or bull-bar. It alters the insured risk since (a) in alters the risk of front end damage, (b) it alters significantly the risk of pedestrian injury, and (c) it is of dubious legality since it is a rigid steel bar not a soft bar.

So all in all please excuse me for not feeling much sympathy!
Post #656749 12th Oct 2017 11:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>