↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Camping with a 90 Hard Top
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
deejayen

Scotland 
Camping with a 90 Hard Top
I'm contemplating various options for overnight trips in a 90. I normally use a small mountain tent, which is rock solid in storms, but I'd like something different.

I started off looking at small caravans such as an Eriba or Freedom, but then caravans can be awkward to tow and use, and they're now more expensive than I can afford. I think I'd prefer to have the flexibility of the vehicle on its own.

I then thought about the Caranex, but I'm not sure how stable it is, plus there aren't any midgie nets, and it doesn't look like a good option if I have to leave the tent behind and then later reattach the Landy.

I'd also like to be able to pull in and sleep just about anywhere - ie off the beaten track, or in a layby etc.

I'm in the north of Scotland, and would be using it all year round, so I'd need something which is rock solid.

I've been looking at roof tents (mainly the hard-top versions such as the Maggiolina or James Baroud), but also the fold-out ones such as the Gordigear.

My main concern is how stable these would be in a howling storm - there have been a few times over the years that I've feared for my safety even parked up in my 90, thinking it might flip over.

I've also thought about making some sort of bed platform in the back of the Landy - I'm about 6ft tall, so the bed would have to extend from the back door to the dashboard. However, the bulkhead is in the way, so headroom would be limited if the bed sat on top of that.

I suppose I'm looking for ideas, and especially opinions/experieces on using roof tents.
Post #651037 18th Sep 2017 4:10pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
I too have been through the same issues as you , I have settled on the following set up
Jet fx30
And howling moon awning with sides .
If planning on camping in horrendous weather then a howling moon 3m dome tent is what you should get.
One pic shows my old Howling moon 3m I swapped to jet tent as I have a damaged left arm and it's easier to put the fx30 on my own.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Have fun be happy
Post #651045 18th Sep 2017 5:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chris90V8

England 1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Portofino Red

Click image to enlarge

...saw this set-up at the LRO and thought was a cracking idea Thumbs Up πŸšœ. ...... . .... . .. πŸš—πŸšπŸš›πŸššπŸššπŸš—πŸš™πŸš
Post #651058 18th Sep 2017 6:05pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Got a maggiolina on mine, no issues whatever the weather throws at it.
Sure the landy sways a bit in stormy weather but I find it rocks me to sleep 😁.
Put a foxwing on as well and your sorted

Click image to enlarge
Post #651070 18th Sep 2017 6:51pm
deejayen

Scotland 
Thanks for the suggestions and the photos!

I'm still trying to weigh things up. Much of it depends on what sort of camping I'd be doing, and that's likely to be varied, so it's trying to find a compromise. However, the more I look, the more options I find!

Tompoole's suggestion of a dome tent had me finding Campmor Safari tents with a spring steel frame. They look like they might be pretty solid, and they might have enough headroom to stand up in. However, it's just a bigger version of what I have, ad it doesn't have a vestibule, so it might not be ideal for Scottish weather. Also, the bigger ones might be a struggle to put up on my own. I used to have a smaller dome tent with 3 poles, and used to struggle locating the poles in the pockets - one stormy night I was blown all around a field trying to put that tent up.

The 'bed in a 90' solution might work, but I'd be a bit worried about condensation. Would the van need to be lined and insulated, or/and would I need a cab heater?

Has anyone hung a hammock in a 90, and if so, what did you use as supports?

The roof tent still appeals, but it still looks a bit vulnerable, plus it doesn't have a vestibule. Also, most of the Maggiolina ones have a roof height of 92cm. It doesn't say as much, but I suspect that's from the GRP floor to the roof rather than from the top of the mattress. I suspect I wouldn't be able to sit upright in one of the smaller models - I think the Grand Tour model at 96cm would be okay. However, perhaps I wouldn't need to sit bolt upright, and I'd be perfectly comfortable slouching. The other thing is the lack of a vestibule, and of getting into the tent when it's pouring down and I'm wearing wet clothes.
Post #651245 19th Sep 2017 11:27am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Spent 10 days in a roof tent driving around Scotland back in May. It's an Autohome Overzone and was rock solid. We had some pretty shocking weather and spent one night on the side of an exposed hill on Orkney. The best thing about the roof tent is not worrying about finding a dry/even/comfortable patch to pitch a tent - you just rock up anywhere and within 10 minutes your ready for bed. The added height makes views from the bedroom window even better! https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #651248 19th Sep 2017 11:36am
deejayen

Scotland 
Thanks, Farmerben. I saw the thread where you said you'd bought the Overzone, and I was going to ask you how you were finding it. The picture you posted looked like it was somewhere here in Scotland.

Orkney is where I've had some of my hairiest moments in my Defender! I once had the front door torn out of my hands and it ended up against the front wing! Another time I was having a picnic by a harbour wall, and tried to reassure myself that I wasn't about to be flung out to sea, but the Landy was being absolutely hammered, so I retreated! I don't usually camp when I go there, but it's usually in the winter, and the wind there is probably the highest I'll see. I think 100mph+ winds aren't unknown, and I seem to remember a 140mph record a good few years ago. A well pegged out mountain tent has survived all camping storms I've encountered thus far. It's not always possible to avoid camping in storms, and it's nice to have the reassurance that a tent is unlikely to suffer if a storm hits.

Have you used any other types of roof tent, Ben? I'm just wondering how the fabric Overzone compares to the Maggiolina hard shell type. Did you take any precautions, such as facing it a certain direction into the wind, or guying it when on your Orkney hillside, and did you feel seasick on top of the Landy?
Post #651256 19th Sep 2017 12:22pm
rleslie

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
I've usually found somewhere to hang my hammock!

Click image to enlarge
Post #651302 19th Sep 2017 3:15pm
deejayen

Scotland 
Nice!

I'd also be using it for overnight stops before/and after bike rides.

I think I've just about persuaded myself that a Maggiolina hard top roof tent is the way to go. Being able to hold the bedding within the folded tent would save a lot of room in the back of my Landy. If I go camping I normally have to carry a tent, underlay for the tent, mattress, sleeping bags, pillows, mallet & pegs, so that sort of stuff could be carried within the roof top tent. Also, when breaking camp I usually have to bundle a soaking wet tent up, and place it somewhere like the front passenger footwell. The roof top tent could allow me to be more organised, and I could get away with carrying just the essentials and a bike in the back of the Landy.

I also like that the roof top tent can be driven around at all times, and doesn't really restrict where I can go (unlike a caravan). I suspect I might get a fair bit of use out of it.

I'd need to decide on roof bars and the actual model of tent, but I think that's the way I'll go.
Post #651395 19th Sep 2017 9:54pm
Farmerben

Biggest reason for me going with the Overzone than the Maggiolina was the annexe. Great place to take wet kit off and climb into bed - also giving you some privacy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #651396 19th Sep 2017 10:03pm
deejayen

Scotland 
Nice rig!

I'm sure I recognise most of those roads, too!

Now that I'm thinking more seriously about a roof tent, it's getting harder to decide choose between the different makes and styles. Are there any dealers in Scotland where I could see some tents?
Post #651764 21st Sep 2017 12:37pm
Farmerben

Don’t know of anywhere myself but Scotland Overland rent out Land Rovers and roof tents (Hannibal tents which are apparently very good) but they’re down in Peebles so bit of a trek from you. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #651821 21st Sep 2017 3:15pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Farmer Ben.
That looks a nice simple tent , is it easy to packaway .... e.g. Put over on etc?
How do you find overal cost and quality? Have fun be happy
Post #652097 22nd Sep 2017 4:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1