↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 300tdi defender dash upgraded to entire td5 dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
willyj

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
300tdi defender dash upgraded to entire td5 dash
Hi guys

Not sure if this is my first post but have been here for years just never had anything i couldnt fix on my defenders.

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone has changed the 300tdi dash in their defender to the td5 one? Im on about the entire dash not just the clocks.

Is it a straightforward fix or am i looking at cutting and drilling etc. Thumbs Up

Cheers wil
Post #190006 1st Dec 2012 10:24am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I've done it.

The easiest way is to have the entire dash (and bulkhead if possible) out of another vehicle rather than buying all the bits separately. You can then strip the dash off the bulkhead and get all the little brackets etc and then sell the bare TD5 bulkhead on (you may even get all your money back!)
Post #190014 1st Dec 2012 10:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willyj

Don't suppose you might have any pics of it? Was the lower part with the speakers needed or just the plastic middle bit with the vents and tray part?

Just wondering if it would fit between the original lower peice and top part. If that makes sense? Wil
Post #190018 1st Dec 2012 11:34am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
The lower part in a 300tdi has the cut out for the switches on the right, other than that you could probably adjust it to fit

I used a TD5 lower part myself
Post #190026 1st Dec 2012 12:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White

this it taken off my website mate, as Matt said above its pretty straightforward to do screws/bolts and thats it just knowing which order to do it in Thumbs Up CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #190029 1st Dec 2012 12:46pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 CSK Automotive
www.cskautomotive.co.uk
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/csklr
Follow us on Instagram - @cskautomotive
Post #190031 1st Dec 2012 12:54pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Nuts and bolts to swap the dash itself over.

The wiring is a bit more "fun" as the different gauges and new positions of several switches mean a few modifications here and there are required. Nothing difficult, just takes a bit of time and thought.

The "proper" way to do it is with a ROW-spec loom. That is a loom from the vehicles that were produced for use outside the EU with Td5 interior but using the 300Tdi engine. One of those will actually plug and play with the newer Td5 dash, and also your 300Tdi vehicle looms. Unfortunately they're rare and consequently expensive. A full ROW-spec vehicle loom set cost me £500 a couple of years ago, and just the bulkhead loom is well over £1,000 from Land Rover!

Edit: Not sure why you'd go to the whole trouble of changing the dash and then keep the rubbish old Tdi clocks Killer90! Razz
Post #190032 1st Dec 2012 12:55pm
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Have a look at - http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/2002dash/index.htm

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #190033 1st Dec 2012 1:00pm
willyj

Cheers guys

Im wanting to rebuild a 90 and wanted to use the trusty 300tdi but its a bit dated interior.

Ill post some pics when ive finished it

Cheers guys Thumbs Up
Post #190542 3rd Dec 2012 10:45am
Orange_Charlie

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi G4 LE Tangiers Orange
Retroanaconda wrote:
Nuts and bolts to swap the dash itself over.

The wiring is a bit more "fun" as the different gauges and new positions of several switches mean a few modifications here and there are required. Nothing difficult, just takes a bit of time and thought.

The "proper" way to do it is with a ROW-spec loom. That is a loom from the vehicles that were produced for use outside the EU with Td5 interior but using the 300Tdi engine. One of those will actually plug and play with the newer Td5 dash, and also your 300Tdi vehicle looms. Unfortunately they're rare and consequently expensive. A full ROW-spec vehicle loom set cost me £500 a couple of years ago, and just the bulkhead loom is well over £1,000 from Land Rover!

Edit: Not sure why you'd go to the whole trouble of changing the dash and then keep the rubbish old Tdi clocks Killer90! Razz

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I've spent months reading through all the posts here re. RoW spec looms. I've currently got a 300TDi D90, and have fitted the Defender TD5 dash - that includes centre console and switches, and I've got a set of clocks as well (currently running the TDi units to keep it OTR). But I really want to convert it to a RoW spec, and have use of the TD5 switches rather than the old TDi ones. Is the bulkhead loom YMC007583 a direct swap for the 300 one, and straight plug & play (minus the txbox transducer)? I don't fancy spending £1,000+ for the loom, oly to find I've got to spend the same again for additional bits....

And before anyone says it, I've seen the guide on TD5 clocks and warning lights, but would rather a more simple approach than cutting my already chopped loom about more.
Post #651468 20th Sep 2017 9:42am
Orange_Charlie

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi G4 LE Tangiers Orange
Should've also added that I'm not interested in adding heated screen/seats, R/C/L, electric windows or any of that jazz to my car - just want it to run with the TD5 clocks and dash buttons!

Thanks for any replies.
Post #651469 20th Sep 2017 9:43am
Mean Green

Scotland 
I am digging deep into my memory for this as I did the change to the TD5 dash in 2003. So details might be a bit fuzzy!

At the time all of the original dash tray parts, console etc were around £100 from my local stealer. I decided not to change the dials etc but I did change the binnicle to have the illuminated heater controls.

Anyways - it was all a very easy switch and has served well all these years later. I have used the td5 switches with the original 200tdi loom - just took a bit of time with the wiring and some of the switches have higher ratings than others, so I was a case of buying a couple of extra switches and swapping the inners over to make it work. The only one that has given me any issue is the hazard light switch, which to this day has never been wired up and I still use the original switch at my right knee. (That being said I have not actually looked at it for around 10 years, so there may be a 'new' solution.
Post #651708 21st Sep 2017 8:47am
Lotus_esprit_s1

I wired my hazard in and it works fine.

There is no need for a row Loom you can buy all the connectors for the switches from Paulmc and correct colour wires with tracers from auto sparks.

For the fog light on an early pre 96 300tdi you can use a heated seat switch with the button swapped for the fog light button. The heated switch is rated for the current and latches on.
Post #652215 23rd Sep 2017 7:10am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Ive got a TD5 with the early pre 2002 dash, is the wiring the same on mine as the later td5's? I know the position of the hazard buttons etc moves but is it essentially a plug and play swap for me as ive been toying with doing this for a while?
Post #654325 2nd Oct 2017 11:06am
VladTepes

Australia 1995 Defender 130 300 Tdi HCPU Alaska White
TD5 warning light panel wiring into 300Tdi ?
Hopefully thread resurrections are OKAY because this is the most relevant one !

I have a custom made dash binnacle for my 300Tdi (yet to fit) and it's designed for a TD5 warning light panel,

For the moment all the 300Tdi gauges will just be going back in, but I need to figure out the wiring !

Firstly I just have the warning light panel itself, I don;t have any of the plugs that fit into it.

Can anyone tell me what type of plugs these are / where I can obtain them?

And (hopefully someone here will have already done this) how to later the wiring in the 300Tdi loom to fit the appropriate plugs so that the TD5 warning light panel works as it should.

Thank you.
Post #731111 25th Sep 2018 2:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>