↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LED bulbs for stock side lamps & turning signals
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
LED bulbs for stock side lamps & turning signals
Hello,

I would like to retain the stock look of my Defender Adventure Edition, has anyone replaced the bulbs on their defender with LED?

I am thinking of doing this for the side repeaters and turn signals 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #647623 1st Sep 2017 12:59pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I had the sidelight from outbound on my previous 110 and it was a very bright white light, so well recommended,

I think outbound are not trading at the moment .. but maybe the lights are available from another supplier... Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #647626 1st Sep 2017 1:15pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Skyfallsilver, are you intending to replace the standard filament bulbs with LED clusters?

Whist I am not aware of the law and regulations in your part of the world it is illegal in Europe.

Various acts of UK apply, RTA states it is an offence to supply, fit or use a defective item on a vehicle.

UK Vehicle Lighting Regulations state all obligatory lights have to carry an approval mark.

UN ECE regulations state what testing proceedure is to be carried out, what the approval mark looks like etc.

Unauthorised modification of any equipment will invalidate the original manufacturers approval.

Hence that equipment is no longer approved and is deemed to be not roadworthy.

Halfords clearly states on the back that their LED bulbs are for OFF ROAD USE ONLY

Ring Automotive states

Quote:

LEDs are not E marked and are for off road use only.

or

Quote:

Off road or internal use only.

UK Department of Transport talking about DRL's state

Quote:

Vehicles fitted with DRLs which do not meet the above requirements are
treated as not roadworthy

The above requirements referred to were UN ECE regulations.

Most motor insurance policy hold a condition that your vehicle must be kept road legal/roadworthy etc.

People do get away with breaking the law, however it is just like say I exceed the speed limit but have never been caught speeding yet!

Brendan
Post #647630 1st Sep 2017 2:10pm
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
What do you think of the crystal wipac lights for the adventure would it look nice or tacky?

I’ve got them on my 2013 defender and they’re a improvement. However not to sure about them on my new car ? 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #647654 1st Sep 2017 4:34pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Re: LED bulbs for stock side lamps & turning signals
SkyFallSilver wrote:
I would like to retain the stock look of my Defender Adventure Edition, has anyone replaced the bulbs on their defender with LED? I am thinking of doing this for the side repeaters and turn signals

Whilst I've not tried the products you've linked, I have replaced the stop/tail bulbs in my 110 with LEDs from the site below:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

See photo. I'm also using their white LED "bulbs" in the reversing lamps - very bright. The supplier has an eBay shop too.

In my opinion LED brake lights are safer than filament lamps due to their instantaneous illumination. This gives the driver behind an earlier warning which could be all that is required to avoid a collision.

I may yet replace the indicator and sidelight bulbs too but I am mindful of the legal situation that Brendan has mentioned.

Click image to enlarge
Post #647749 2nd Sep 2017 1:40pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello SkyFallSilver

I have been looking at this too...
Mainly to improve the 'poor' performance of the standard Land Rover Front Side Lights.

I have not gone down the change everything to LED Route, with Standard Lights (Filaments Bulbs) Front and Rear. I have the larger diameter NAS rear lights which helps with visibility (IMO).

I'm about to upgrade the Headlight Loom and move to a higher performance H4 Main Headlight Bulbs...
but I really wanted to make a change to the Front Side Lights...there're just too yellow... Exclamation

So I fitted some of these...
Land Rover Defender 2.5 207 R5W 9-LED Xenon White Side Lights Upgrade Bulbs XE5
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defen...IAzIO9S-Ow

and this is the result...

Click image to enlarge

I ordered 4 so that I had 2 Spare

Click image to enlarge

I'm really impressed and for the Money... Thumbs Up

The Indicator Bulbs (as yet untried) are here...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFEN...100623.m-1

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #650609 16th Sep 2017 1:15pm
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
amazing look with the stock covers, thank you 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #650630 16th Sep 2017 2:35pm
X4SKP

Hello SkyFallSilver

Pleasure... Thumbs Up

Legality...
These Bulbs state that ISBN: UPC: EAN: Does Not Apply, currently I don't know if these 'fall outside'
the current EU or Type Standards or not... or even if these are relevant.

I know my local MOT Testing Center well...and their take on these would go some way to reassuring me that
they either comply or not.

Whilst both Brighter and Clearer they don't appear to dazzle (I'll check tonight)

Just to Add to the Story I tried both the 60 and 125 lumens LED Filament Replacement Lamps (from Halfords)
at £15 for 2... Exclamation and they were just brighter version of unwanted 'yellow' light, so returned immediately from my quick trial out side the store.

Click image to enlarge

So Very Happy with the result...

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck SKIP
Post #650635 16th Sep 2017 3:09pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
X4SKP wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I wonder how long you will be impressed (and think you'll need the spare bulbs soon...).

I came down the same way, tried a variety of (cheepish) led bulb, but in the end (which came some months after installation) they all died. I think you get wat you pay for at the end, and I choose to replace all lights with RDX led lamps (complete units - not only bulbs) from Bolt on Bits. That is some years ago now, and still very pleased, no failure yet. Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #650651 16th Sep 2017 4:40pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
X4SKP wrote:
Hello SkyFallSilver

Pleasure... Thumbs Up

Legality...
These Bulbs state that ISBN: UPC: EAN: Does Not Apply, currently I don't know if these 'fall outside'
the current EU or Type Standards or not... or even if these are relevant.

Hi
I think that ISBN is International Standard Book Number and UPC is Universal Product Code which along with EAN (European Article Number) is a unique stock tracking number related to barcodes etc.
So not actually related to regulations for lamps. Thumbs Up
Post #650690 16th Sep 2017 8:13pm
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
X4SKP wrote:
Hello SkyFallSilver

I have been looking at this too...
Mainly to improve the 'poor' performance of the standard Land Rover Front Side Lights.

I have not gone down the change everything to LED Route, with Standard Lights (Filaments Bulbs) Front and Rear. I have the larger diameter NAS rear lights which helps with visibility (IMO).

I'm about to upgrade the Headlight Loom and move to a higher performance H4 Main Headlight Bulbs...
but I really wanted to make a change to the Front Side Lights...there're just too yellow... Exclamation

So I fitted some of these...
Land Rover Defender 2.5 207 R5W 9-LED Xenon White Side Lights Upgrade Bulbs XE5
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defen...IAzIO9S-Ow

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The Indicator Bulbs (as yet untried) are here...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFEN...100623.m-1

Good Luck

How did you change the bulbs, I just opened them up and they seem to be water tight ?

I remember my friend changing the bulbs on his TD5 Tomb Raider, but i cannot seem to upon them ? 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #650789 17th Sep 2017 4:03pm
X4SKP

VeeTee wrote:
I wonder how long you will be impressed (and think you'll need the spare bulbs soon...).
I think you get what you pay for at the end...

Hello VeeTee

You may well be right...these Bulbs are not reassuringly expensive... Shocked but look Cool

So I'll see.

I have the colour and improvement in visibility I was hoping for, looking at them again in low lighting conditions they give a spread of light so are visible from a wide viewing angle, they can be seen from effectively a full 180 degree arc in front of the Vehicle. They obviously don't help you see, but are now more visible by others.

For me...the way these standard LR Side Lights are mounted within the KBX Light Surrounds means that they are recessed slightly unlike the standard 'surface mounted' original set up, so I had made 'poor' standard Side Lights worse by fitting the KBX surrounds...not much but, from side on i.e at a 90 degree junction, these Side Lights were all but useless.

There is no rear reflector so all you can see is the Bulb and the 'quality' of the light that comes from that Bulb.

I drive with these ON near enough at all times so I'll see how they cope...my spares however are on-board... Thumbs Up SKIP
Post #650954 18th Sep 2017 11:08am
X4SKP

SkyFallSilver wrote:
How did you change the bulbs, I just opened them up and they seem to be water tight ?
I remember my friend changing the bulbs on his TD5 Tomb Raider, but i cannot seem to upon them ?

Hello SkyFallSilver well maybe not 'watertight' but there is some measure to help keep the water out / condensation forming within the unit...

To get the Bulbs Out...
Remove the two screws seen from the front...holding the Lens and rear Light Unit to the front of the Vehicle
Pull the whole assembly forward, there should be 100-150mm of 'free' wire to allow this.

I assume you have got to this point already...

At the rear of the Side Light there is a Lamp Holder that is a twist fit 'bayonet' style into the rear of the Lamp.
This Lamp / Bulb Holder (wires attached) compresses a foam / rubber washer (to seal the unit) twist it anticlockwise 15-20 degrees and it will allow you to withdraw the Bulb from the rear of the Lens Assembly.

You will then see that the Bulb itself is also a bayonet fitting into the Bulb Holder...

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck SKIP
Post #650958 18th Sep 2017 11:29am
SkyFallSilver

Kuwait 
prior to this post I did twist clockwise but didn't want to push more in fear of breaking the unit.

my car is currently getting exterior and interior detailing, after that I will give this a shot. 2016 Defender 90 Adventure Edition
Post #651021 18th Sep 2017 3:35pm
X4SKP

Post #656325 10th Oct 2017 1:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>