↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Bollinger B1 Electric Defender replacement...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
Setok wrote:
Ugly? What drugs are you guys on? That is absolutely wonderful!! Yes, it's designed by a 5 year old. Basically the Defender was too. Clue: it was never designed. Basic box shape, keep things simple and modular, easy to repair. They've done a wonderful job utilising the benefits of an electric engine by rearranging the internal space and you will actually get better offroad ability with electric: two motors, lots of torque, but easy to control at all ranges.

True, the range is slightly limited but I desperately want one. Way more than anything in the Land Rover stable right now, and more than I'm likely to want the Defender replacement.

I think you have been drinking to much earl grey Tea, if you think that's wonderful! If its designed by a 5 year old, then fair play. But its still one ugly looking thing, i am sure i have seen a camper thing on Ebay what looked something like it last year.
That was going for 900 quid?? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #641957 5th Aug 2017 12:49am
Procta

United Kingdom 
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Don't worry about them, they can't see past their nostalgia for something you can no longer obtain and that in truth should have been abandoned back in the 1970s.

Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #641958 5th Aug 2017 12:52am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Everybody that's hung up on the looks or the range are missing the point. It's the first of its' kind and is designed on the same principles as the original Land Rover - practical and functional. Taking advantage of the different packaging requirements for the drive train is brilliant and not something that's been exploited by mainstream EV's so far. Whether it be the Nissan Leaf or the Tesla, they've stuck to pretty conventional layouts.

The technology will move on and the limitations of electric will eventually be solved. It took Land Rover 35 years to produce a truly useable diesel engine! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #641968 5th Aug 2017 6:46am
Setok

Finland 
blackwolf wrote:
Actually, when you look a bit deeper and see the thing in action in the several videos of it on YouTube, you have to admit that it is actually pretty impressive. Pretty, no, pretty impressive, definitely!

Its one major flaw is the very short range and the fact that it takes 7 hours to refuel. In every other respect it actually looks very good.

I agree it would be great if the range was even better, but I wouldn't say 200 miles is terrible either. Especially for a vehicle like that. I've almost never driven more than that in a day and it's more than enough for farmers and the like.

I love the vent system as well: a pipe in three parts that can be turned to direct air. Oh and it has slidey windows too rather than electric!
Post #642058 5th Aug 2017 7:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's range would make it utterly useless to me, since I regularly do 500 plus miles in 48 hours. I accept that range will continue to improve as technology advances.

I do have doubts about the whole life green-ness of batteries.
Post #642177 6th Aug 2017 10:15am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Worth a watch:-

This vehicle has potential!
Post #642341 7th Aug 2017 9:17am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Portal axles, hydraulic suspension, massive load capacity. Very cool. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #642346 7th Aug 2017 9:40am
Setok

Finland 
They released a photo of the long wheelbase version. Pretty sweet.

"The 4 Door will have the same class-leading ground clearance (15.5 in), adjustable wheel travel (+5/-5 in), approach angle (56 degrees) and departure angle (53 degrees), and will have a new breakover angle of 31 degrees. The lengthier vehicle now provides an additional 6 cu. ft. of cargo volume for a total of 101 cu. ft. "

Click image to enlarge
Post #648687 6th Sep 2017 9:21pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
This is missing a trick. Solar panels on the roof. An easy 100kw of space available if not way more. Suddenly the range is expanded making it practical.

100kW - that's a typo right?

DSC-off wrote:
I can't figure out why the winch is hydraulic. The added expense and complication of pumps and hoses can't be practical when an electric winch would do the job.

Probably draws a lot less current and so has less impact on range plus can be used on a longer duty cycle?

blackwolf wrote:
Plus it looks as though it was styled by a 5-year-old!

On the positive side, how many vehicles actually carry over the stunning design when the concept vehicle has been "productionised"? Can't say they have lost much in translation Laughing :

Click image to enlarge
Post #650462 15th Sep 2017 2:52pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
My back of the envelope calculation on the other electric vehicle thread was about 1.4 kW of current tech solar panel on the roof and bonnet of a Defender 110 sized vehicle. Which is useful but not enough to fully charge it in less than about ten days.
I am not sure why the Bollinger is designed with a bonnet. A cab forward design with motors and batteries under the floor seems to be much easier with the greater freedom of layout electric gives. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #650465 15th Sep 2017 3:05pm
Setok

Finland 
Well at least one company doesn't mind showing their wares doing actual offroad stuff.

Post #666122 21st Nov 2017 9:46pm
Setok

Finland 
Oh, just noticed that on their site they have a picture of something that undoubtedly inspired them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC36z_CtrNt/?taken-by=bollingermotors

Someone asked if the roof comes off:

"Yes, all will come off. The roof is two different panels and the quarter glass and doors all come off."

This to me is the real Defender replacement. I just can't see current LR doing anything in this vein, unfortunately.
Post #666128 21st Nov 2017 9:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Coming to the UK

Post #683993 4th Feb 2018 9:36am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
When I originally posted this topic about the Bollinger I was actually making a serious point that at least their was one company out there who were making attempts to build a sparky utility vehicle that the Defender family could relate to and continue their greenlaning pursuits etc.

The present narcissist Land Rover management have no intention of providing forum members of such a vehicle...they have abandoned their roots and the lights of the original Series/Defender will never again be lit by JLR, fortunately Bollinger and indeed Jeep are at least trying their level best to keep the faith.

Perhaps we'll see the resurrection of an all electric Africar? Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains

Last edited by Fat Cog on 4th Feb 2018 10:08am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #684004 4th Feb 2018 10:06am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Well, if Kryton likes it, that’s good enough for me.

For me though, even the top modelling having just a 200 mile range doesn’t cut it. I’d be willing to sacrifice that front boot thing for more range. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #684005 4th Feb 2018 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>