↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Removing an lt230 from my td5 90 for a ratio change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I do the same as Litch, with a couple of long M10 bolts with the heads cut off. It works a treat.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #650016 13th Sep 2017 8:22am
dorsetsmith

having just refitted LT230 using ( LRT-41-009 ) two 10mm bolts head cut off 6 1/2 inch long help to guide the Tbox on to gearbox out put shaft

LRT-41-009 2x 10mm 6 1/2 inch long and one 9 1/2 inch long
Post #650018 13th Sep 2017 8:40am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Using the bolt guides not only help line up the transfer box but more importantly prevents the gearbox output shaft mullering the new input seal that you've just fitted or should have fitted 😉
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #650034 13th Sep 2017 9:58am
dorsetsmith

^ Thumbs Up it work treat new input seal all ok will get to test R380 rebuild next Thumbs Up

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 16th Sep 2017 6:15am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #650043 13th Sep 2017 10:23am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
When i come to refitting, my gearbox already has 2 m10 studs coming from the geabox to guide the tranny on to which should make it easier for me and originally it had a nut on both partly holding it all together. i just thought this was normal, maybe it was a modification they made although my car isnt particularly young as a 2001.

In other news i stripped my box today and have got the new gears on the shaft and pressed the bearing back on and got the bearing races pushed into the other new gear. Should have the box hopefully fully reassembled tomorrow. Then my helpers are next availbe the following weekend for reinstalling. And having got a new job this week i think i will treat myself to an alive stage 1 Thumbs Up
Post #650523 15th Sep 2017 7:40pm
Litch

England 
"2 m10 studs coming from the geabox to guide the tranny on"

How long?
The smooth shank bolts I use are so long that they allow the TB to be lined up before there is any danger of the GB shaft damaging the seal. They are much longer than the stud. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #651105 18th Sep 2017 6:58pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Well i refitted the gearbox with my trusty wooden jack support. I used two scaffold boards to run the jack on so the jack wheels had something smooth to roll on. Had one volunteer at the back pushing the box forward on the jack and myself and another voluteer on each side. Rolled it into place, jacked it to the correct height pushed it forward until it was a case of lining up the splines, gave the flanges a quick wiggle and it went a bit further. Then from there the jack wasnt really helping so we just hand shuffled it the rest of the way then shoved some bolts in.

Removing and refitting was all very drama free and im very pleased i did the whole job myself. I had the box reffitted and connected it back up in about 3-4 hours. I had a lot of people tell me before i started to buy an old disco tranny box and refit that but as my td5 has only done 38k and the previous owner never towed or offroaded i wanted to keep my box due to its condition.

The only issue i had was one of the bolts that i was torquing up on the front housing sheered. I managed drill it out and although there was some thread damage there were enough threads to pick up on with the new bolt. When i refitted the new one i did it up so it was hand tight and gripping but didnt give it the full tightening torque (as per the lr lt230 overhaul manual), there are 7 other bolts holding it on (fully torqued) and we used plenty of loctite so it didnt really cause a great deal of concern. If there are any issues in the future it will be a case of fitting a helicoil or drilling and retapping, but for now i will just keep an eye on it.

I have since done a 70 mile motorway journey and been for a couple of drives and the difference it has made is great. Its easier to drive around town, easier to pull away (1st is actually usable and doesnt lurch) and on the motorway it cruises happily at 70-75 and you can cruise at 80 if you really want where as before it was screaming at 80.

Not sure what my next major upgrade will be, either a stage 2 remap and fitting the relevant parts to do so or the twisted suspension package... We shall see.
Post #654332 2nd Oct 2017 12:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12