↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My TD5 110 XS CSW - Bertha
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Yep - cheers Thumbs Up

Took it for a run out today - an 'adventure' with the kids - no extra rattles so I'm pretty chuffed!
Post #649480 10th Sep 2017 10:13pm
L110CDL

England 
Good result with the run and no unexpected rattles Very Happy makes it all worth while Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #649484 10th Sep 2017 10:27pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
So, Bertha has been back a little while and I have new things to show everyone:

Additional 12v socket, although I'm regretting very much not specifying which model as this thing with a large sprung cover is not really very practical...

Click image to enlarge

Work light:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And operating switch:

Click image to enlarge

I have now butchered the blank cap to replace it, only to find it hasn't been wired to light up the green backlight when the vehicle's lights are on anyway!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #671235 16th Dec 2017 4:24pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I've also had the transfer box swapped for that of a Discovery to give more sensible revs at motorway speeds.
Currently I think it's bedding in as the whine from it at anything above 50mph is now the loudest thing in the car, except when one or other of the children is having a sense of humour failure, so I can tell it's achieved its aim but hoping the whine is temporary!
Post #671236 16th Dec 2017 4:26pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Finally got round to sorting the problem with the rear door sensor switch.

On removing the switch I discovered the connector had come off for the wire that takes the signal back to the "brain". Not only had it come off, but the wire had snapped and the plastic connector had fallen down in the space between the back of the speaker body and the rear panel of the car...

Fortunately I'm a massive geek so I have a PC toolkit which contains a "three pronged part retriever" - a bit like those sprung wire grabbers you get for pickled onions (well, my granny had one anyway). This enabled the retrieval of the part.
Not being able to prize apart the main crimp where the wire had snapped, I removed as much as I could and opened the jaws of the cable grip at the back of the connector, soldered in the stripped end of the wire and then sealed as best I could with heat shrink plastic.

I'm guessing the thing had work-hardened and then fatigue caused it to break - even for Land Rover the design of that switch is spectacularly stupid - since it requires the wire and connector to move about an inch, against a spring, without any form of reinforcement.
I doubt it was made any better by the previous owner who appears to have taped the feed wire to a bundle of other wiring in that area meaning it had to move the whole set of cables every time the door was shut. Sadly, there wasn't enough wire to make a swan-neck or anything to reduce the strain on it. If it fails again I think I'll have to look into an alternative method - maybe connecting a very flexible wire to the switch which can take the movement and then hooking up the other end of that piece to the feed wire in a static location...

Anyway - by the time that was finished it was bitterly cold, the wife complaining I had dodged bath-time for the children and I had run out of tea about half an hour before. So the LED side light set I got as an early birthday present from my in-laws (who will miss it, hence the early arrival of the present) will have to wait until next weekend.
Post #688832 25th Feb 2018 7:45pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Bertha now has LED side, tail, indicators (not repeaters), reverse, fog and number plate lighting. I've even managed to get the Wipac relay to work so the trailer tell-tale seems to function correctly. I haven't got a trailer though so can't test that aspect...

Also, thanks to a friendly Lithuanian company via eBay, now have a VW '99' relay so programmable intermittent wipers in the front. Just in time for a trip to the Lakes in May where there is always a risk of 'liquid sunshine'.

Thought all was going too smoothly, and so in order to balance the Land Rover ownership equation the fuel filter housing has parted company with the chassis. I suspect the sheared bolt stuck in the chassis will be beyond my amateur repair abilities.
Post #699382 8th Apr 2018 2:16pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Back in August last year the Landy was serviced at Challenger 4x4 in Tongham, they carefully noted that the fuel filter housing was showing a slight leak. Fast forward to March this year and I could clearly smell diesel every time I got out after a drive.

I investigated and found it wasn't completely attached to the chassis... When I started unscrewing the fuel lines I found it was actually being held on by them alone - like this:

Click image to enlarge

No problem, I thought, I'll take out the old bolts and get a replacement - why fortuitously enough there's even a thread on it in the TD5 forum this very week!

Click image to enlarge

So I got it off, sadly not all of one of the bolts wanted to come with it... meanwhile the new one arrived:

Click image to enlarge

The difference is just obvious - apart from the material, the fact that the rear of the piece is not hollowed out to save money and create a cavity for mud and rust to ferment is a really sound design move. Land Rover ought to be ashamed, the standard fitment is a bloody disgraceful piece of low-budget tat.

Click image to enlarge

Anyway, after using every tool in the box, and buying some more for good measure I finally got the remains of the old bolt out and made a hole large enough to accept a new rivnut:

Click image to enlarge

It was at this point I realised I needed to take the rear filter shield plate off in order to get the rivnut flush with the chassis because otherwise it was trying to pinch on too thick a sandwich of metal... Cue further cheese-headed bolt frustration. Lacking a blowtorch I settled for WD40 by the bucket load and went off in a huff to make tea while it did its alchemy.
I also took the time to fabricate a small gasket out of 50p's worth of Hobbycraft neoprene foam sheet in a vain hope that it will stop the worst of the corrosion between the aluminium and the steel (read rust and old waxoyl) of the chassis:

Click image to enlarge

A short while later - victory:

Click image to enlarge

I then knocked up a home made rivnut tool, thanks to the sticky elsewhere on here. I really don't think you need three hands, if you put a solid hold on the bolt head and push in hard enough then with a ratchet spanner over the driving nut it should be enough, at least, that is what I found:

Click image to enlarge

Set the rivnut:

Click image to enlarge

Refitted the filter housing:

Click image to enlarge

New filter on:

Click image to enlarge

Front shield plate reattached with nut and bolt to replace the skanky rusted screw (!) and home bodged speed fastener:

Click image to enlarge

Finally, disposed of the refuse, which included the snapped off cutting disc from a Dremel. The disc having sheared from the mounting collar... there is also the evidence of my trial and error with the home made tool.

Click image to enlarge
Post #701930 19th Apr 2018 10:46pm
L110CDL

England 
Good bit of upgrading you have done and having a good old cuppa does really help Wink So at least next time you have to do any work on it, it sure will be easier for you Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #702040 20th Apr 2018 9:20pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Cheers! Thumbs Up

If in doubt, brew up and give it a good coat of looking at.
Post #702042 20th Apr 2018 9:25pm
L110CDL

England 
Could not agree with you more, just seems so much better after a cuppa and the job goes like a treat Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #702048 20th Apr 2018 9:34pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I’ll post a photo of this when I can, but it appears a previous owner has seriously Censored up the rear step mountings as all that’s left are a pair of vaguely hexagonal bent out holes in the crossmember where I presume some captive nuts ought to reside...
This has annoyed me very much having found a bargain extra large rubber covered folding rear step...
Post #720748 31st Jul 2018 9:30pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Wow, such a long time since I updated this. In fairness we haven't been using the Land Rover a huge amount. We did a great trip to France in August 2018.

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to get an Exmoor Trim Premium cubby box for my birthday. It arrived yesterday and it was a genuine pleasure to undertake a job on the vehicle which didn't involve cutting away useless rounded bolts or drilling out rusted captive nuts! Did it all, including the fettling to get the wiring in, just under a hour.

What a beauty!

Click image to enlarge

Out with the old:

Click image to enlarge

In with the new:

Click image to enlarge

Turn on the ignition - hey presto - blue light and power!

Click image to enlarge
Post #831104 14th May 2020 6:55pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I have the same model cubbybox Thumbs Up the blue usb light at night is quite bright that’s my only complaint 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #831111 14th May 2020 7:39pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I haven't done a night drive yet, but with the cap closed at least it doesn't seem too bright - I guess that will change when it's in use. I suppose if it does get annoying I can always carefully unstaple the leather and open up that front section of the box to swap it out for another make's offering...
Post #831145 14th May 2020 11:10pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
Funnily enough, I’ve hardly been out and about in any car much...

Anyway, I got a MUD double DIN fascia and some soundproofing for Christmas. Then I got a new head unit, reversing camera and Nakatanenga DAB aerial for my birthday. Now I just have to fit the sodding things...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #895650 2nd Apr 2021 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>