↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 24 <123 ... 161718 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Nope, which is why I've attempted a repair. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #646356 25th Aug 2017 9:12pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I think I found a land rover dealer that "some in stock", after looking on here. They wanted close to £300 quid! not worth it at all for what it is! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #646378 26th Aug 2017 1:00am
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Even your bodge jobs are thought out and well crafted ,what's next Exclamation
Post #646386 26th Aug 2017 6:41am
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, thanks Cool Still lots to do. It's become more of a rolling restoration than I originally planned, if I'm honest, and progress is limited by the amount of time I have to play. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #646389 26th Aug 2017 7:34am
LandRoverAnorak

A few weeks ago I replaced the OSR hub seal but it's failed again Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

So this morning I did what I should have done first time around and checked the axle breather and, lo and behold, it was a cruddy mess that was blocked solid:

Click image to enlarge

I then spent a happy hour cleaning, de-rustng and dismantling the damn thing until it was clear and free turning again:

Click image to enlarge

Re-assembled and back on the axle, I hope that will solve the problem.

In other news, with the help of my darling wife I swapped the eight bolts securing the rear seat bases for slightly shorter ones so that I could finish them off with some nice caps. I also took the opportunity to install a couple of extra tie down D rings:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #646575 27th Aug 2017 1:01pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Nice work there... :thumbs:

I don't have a turbo heat shield .. I've looked for one but they are way too pricey. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #646593 27th Aug 2017 3:17pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looking very tidy! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #646663 27th Aug 2017 9:00pm
L110CDL

England 
Professional job there LRA Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #646832 28th Aug 2017 8:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

So, last week was quite successful. Firstly, I had the wayward steering repaired by Challenger 4x4, which involved replacing some bushes. It's now a lot more directional and I no longer have to telegraph left hand turns in advance! The next day it passed it's MOT with flying colours and at the same time I renewed my insurance for slightly less than last year Very Happy

Onto more mundane stuff this morning before rain stopped play:

Firstly, despite my success with the banjo bolt described above, I decided to replace them on both axles with these push-fit fittings, which was quite an easy job. I also replaced a few snapped cable ties that secure the breather pipes.

Click image to enlarge

Next up was replacing an exhaust heat shield, which is a job that I've been putting off. Soon after I bought the vehicle I noticed that some of the brackets on the original had sheared, resulting in a bit of a rattle. After much scrabbling about and cursing underneath, I managed to persuade the four original bolts to part company and get it out.

Click image to enlarge

The second clamp bracket appears to be welded to the exhaust, which I don't think is how it would have been originally Confused

Installing the new one was comparatively straightforward. I used new stainless bolts and took the opportunity to install it in the correct place on the exhaust as the original wasn't Rolling Eyes

The final task was to swap the plastic radiator bleed screw for a nice solid brass one. The originals have a habit of getting chewed up when removed whereas the brass version is much more robust:

Click image to enlarge

With the securing brackets and top panel removed, it's possible to get a spanner on the plastic bleed screw:

Click image to enlarge

When removed, the coolant should be right up to the top of the rad:

Click image to enlarge

And the new brass screw in place:

Click image to enlarge

This week I hope to return to painting as I really want to get the new rear door fitted. Darren

Post #648010 3rd Sep 2017 5:02pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
It's looking good.. its very satisfying doing those little jobs... Can I ask does your bonnet have rubber buffers fitted to it at the front edge? Mine doesn't and it has been touching the wing slightly and rubbing the paint off in a couple of places. 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #648261 4th Sep 2017 4:43pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Interesting result with the steering. The vagueness of the steering the biggest thing I notice from driving a "normal" car, I'll have to do some research as I suspect my bushes will also be shot. Thumbs Up Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #648264 4th Sep 2017 4:49pm
LandRoverAnorak

Profyaffle wrote:
It's looking good.. its very satisfying doing those little jobs... Can I ask does your bonnet have rubber buffers fitted to it at the front edge? Mine doesn't and it has been touching the wing slightly and rubbing the paint off in a couple of places.

I'm not sure, to be honest Confused I'm not aware of it hitting anything so I expect so but I'll try and take a look this evening. Darren

Post #648438 5th Sep 2017 12:33pm
LandRoverAnorak

trickster5000 wrote:
Interesting result with the steering. The vagueness of the steering the biggest thing I notice from driving a "normal" car, I'll have to do some research as I suspect my bushes will also be shot. Thumbs Up

Defenders are notoriously vague compared to normal cars so that alone doesn't mean that something is wrong. Mine, however, had a lot more play when turning left than right so something was clearly amiss. Darren

Post #648439 5th Sep 2017 12:36pm
LandRoverAnorak

Profyaffle wrote:
It's looking good.. its very satisfying doing those little jobs... Can I ask does your bonnet have rubber buffers fitted to it at the front edge? Mine doesn't and it has been touching the wing slightly and rubbing the paint off in a couple of places.

So, had a look last night and it does have the rubber buffers in place. Difficult to get a clear picture of but they're just the standard part.

On a different note, as my steering wheel has worn smooth I've been looking at replacement wheels, on and off, for a while. My problem though is that I quite like the standard wheel, which is the pre-fake airbag version. Anyway, inspired by a post by V8GPC on his 50th Anniversary thread, I bought a leather stitch-on wheel cover from eBay for £15.99 and then spent several hours over the last two evenings fitting it. I found it very fiddly to do and it became a bit of a labour of love but it feels great and I'm really pleased with the result:

Click image to enlarge

I'll get if re-fitted tomorrow. Darren

Post #648700 6th Sep 2017 9:10pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Thanks.. I ordered a couple and fitted them.. my bonnet is now lifted on the rubbing side and sits level...
Nice work with the steering wheel.. I did the same with mine, makes them much nicer and less slippery Thumbs Up 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #648712 6th Sep 2017 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 17 of 24 <123 ... 161718 ... 222324>