↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rubber vs carpet floor mats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Just handed a basic 90 with rubber mats in the footwells and bare floor in the back and collected my own 90 XS with carpeted + rubber loadspace and footwell mats and the whole engine, transmission and exhaust noise is reduced by 90%... So much quieter and i wouldn't dare take the non carpeted Defender on a long run. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #44370 5th Nov 2010 9:53am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I'd like to resurrect this as I just finished RFC Philippines as an official but got stuck in a river crossing just short of the shore. While waiting to be winched out, water came in but not too high. The truck has original carpets as acquired from the previous owner. The cargo bay, second row, and front passenger areas were flooded and now it has a distinct smell as the carpets haven't dried out yet and SWMBO doesn't like it one bit. I have original rubber mats and they've dried faster and have removed the floor carpets in the passenger areas to dry (still not dry after 2 days) the carpet and rubber mat in the cargo bay will be dealt with as soon as the weather complies. There are still the bits that don't come off and how am I to deal with these? Right now I just park with all the doors open when the sun is beating down.

I was thinking of ditching the carpet and go rubber mat on all exposed surfaces where carpet was then put back the factory rubber mat so the next time (God forbid) it happens, things will be easier to clean up and it won't stink. It was like this in my old T*y*ta pick up and it was easy to clean and use without the carpet mats. What do all y'all think?

Another option was to coat the interior with Line-X then just re-use the rubber mats and be done with it.

Is there a carpet option that can stand up to off road and water ingress conditions without causing complications?

Input appreciated, thanks in advance!
Post #647098 30th Aug 2017 6:41am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I think the answer is in the use the defender gets, if its a road only and does not leak then carpets are fine just like any other car, if it leaks or is reguarly off roaded / used in wet and muddy conditions then dont bother or have carpets that can be pulled out and cleaned / dried easily. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #647099 30th Aug 2017 6:55am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I had both in the previous Def, noticeably quieter and very comfortable. But it was a well kept, road-only, leak-free 110. As some say, whether you have rubber, carpet or both depends on usage, water-tightness and spec. I'll be possibly going the other way round with my DC. Full floor soundproofing, followed by rubber chequerplate matting, with removable carpet trim laid on top to keep Mrs Grenadier happy. Brutal functionality is not high on her list of likes. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #647113 30th Aug 2017 8:51am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
bpman wrote:

the only comment i would add it why on earth did land rover cut the middle row rubber mat in half ? on my td5 it was one long piece of rubber, on the puma there is a join in the middle ... there must be a reason - escapes me
y

I think it's just so it makes the package smaller. With some of the mat sets they come on retail hangers for putting on the accessory displays in the showrooms. I think the later mats are of a heavier rubber too and probably less easy to fold for packaging. Range Rover and Discovery mats have the same join.
Post #647169 30th Aug 2017 12:25pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
RED-DOT wrote:
Just handed a basic 90 with rubber mats in the footwells and bare floor in the back and collected my own 90 XS with carpeted + rubber loadspace and footwell mats and the whole engine, transmission and exhaust noise is reduced by 90%... So much quieter and i wouldn't dare take the non carpeted Defender on a long run.

While the factory rubber mats are pretty thin, you can get padded rubber mats from the likes of Exmoor trim, these are probably better than carpet as the padding is very good sound and thermal insulation
Post #647170 30th Aug 2017 12:27pm
HardCharger

I was just looking though the Exmoor site and I think getting the Puma "front wrap" then the 3 piece acoustic matting for the rear then additional acoustic matting to cut up to cover the areas where the carpet were and the side walls of the cargo area.

May be a better (cheaper) option? For now?
Post #647301 31st Aug 2017 3:41am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I don't have acoustic mats, but what happens to it when it gets wet?
Just had to remove the rear carpet due to a leak at front of wheeel arch. Rubber mat just wipes clean. Carpet took 2 days to dry in greenhouse.No noticeable difference in sound levels.
Post #647325 31st Aug 2017 8:27am
HardCharger

Well, I reckon that hosing off and drying the rubber mats will be easier than doing it with carpet. I'm thinking, could be wrong, that it will not smell like carpet when wet and wiping down the interior dry and putting back the matting when dry will be a quicker affair as opposed to drying the carpet over the span of a few days with no guarantee that the smell will be gone.
Post #648117 4th Sep 2017 5:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12