↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender production
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Yeah, its what they need to be pushing out to compete with all the german and japanese pickups.

Vowchurch! One of my best mates lived up at Vowchurch common. His folks still live there. When I'd just passed my driving test used to drive my series iii up there and was convinced I'd flip backwards if I went over a bump too fast. Hell it seemed steep!

I think weather wise, your climate is a bit more suited to land rover ownership! https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #608267 9th Mar 2017 10:17pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
We lived in the Vicarage which is now a B & B.
Are you familiar with "Wildings Garage" in Turnastone?....that is where we used to buy our petrol for our 1936 Austin 10!
Pickles.
Post #608297 10th Mar 2017 2:31am
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Older Disco 3s are affordable now, moreso than Defenders. Manual models cheapest. Also some have low VED as before the CO2 banding was introduced.

But the humbleness of Defenders may be best seen in Skoda Yeti 4x4 models. They have a good reputation and are people carrier roomy. They also have petrol engines.

Fleets may switch to Ford Rangers rather than Toyota Hiluxes. 2.2 & 3.2 options there. LR could never compete with Ford's scale.

Mitsubishi Shogun SWB are I guess the rival for 90 owners & LWB for 110. Plenty on eBay including the older manual models. Mitsubishi L200s are popular dual cab trucks, watch them for EV hybrids too. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #608364 10th Mar 2017 12:55pm
Ramajama

United States 
Farmerben wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has been on the Series 1 Land Rover Reborn tour at Solihull but just got back (it was short but awesome). Guy running the tour (chap named Darryl) gave us some info (whether or not it's true, we'll have to wait and see).....
Planning to build 100,000 units a year
Production split over Solihull and Slovakia (neither factory big enough for entire production)
Bigger than old defender but very similar in style (more than the dc100)
Three wheel bases
Available in hard top, truck cab and station wagon
More capable than any other 4x4 currently on the market
Will be released to press in 14 months

He pretty much said "thats all i can tell ypu, dont bother asking any more".

So, still a bit of a wait then......

Yep but 14 months isn't terrible. McGovern said it was almost ready. 😀
PLEASE, please bring the truck to the US! If they do it'll really help towards selling those 100k units.
It would really be the only way I could buy a Defender. I need a truck for work and play. Two SUVs won't do.
I'd probably take a payload and tow rating cut as compared to my RAM 1500, but I could live with that.
Post #609273 14th Mar 2017 4:33am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I think they have to launch it in the US. Like you said - they'll struggle without that market.

Speaking of the Ram have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/hDhI-K0aAk8 https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #609283 14th Mar 2017 6:16am
Blfarrar

United Kingdom 
Ramajama wrote:
Farmerben wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has been on the Series 1 Land Rover Reborn tour at Solihull but just got back (it was short but awesome). Guy running the tour (chap named Darryl) gave us some info (whether or not it's true, we'll have to wait and see).....
Planning to build 100,000 units a year
Production split over Solihull and Slovakia (neither factory big enough for entire production)
Bigger than old defender but very similar in style (more than the dc100)
Three wheel bases
Available in hard top, truck cab and station wagon
More capable than any other 4x4 currently on the market
Will be released to press in 14 months
He pretty much said "thats all i can tell ypu, dont bother asking any more".
So, still a bit of a wait then......

Yep but 14 months isn't terrible. McGovern said it was almost ready. 😀
PLEASE, please bring the truck to the US! If they do it'll really help towards selling those 100k units.
It would really be the only way I could buy a Defender. I need a truck for work and play. Two SUVs won't do.
I'd probably take a payload and tow rating cut as compared to my RAM 1500, but I could live with that.

It will be a wait as there is more to than with other "up the integer + one" replacements..FL2 to DS, RRS orig to RR2 & Disco 3/4 to D5......maybe the Evoke 3
The Defender was & will have to be a vey different class of vehicle...
Many buy & use in the off the line state....as an SUV with heavy emphasis on the U..
Not a style icon, fashion accessory or to do with how it looks - but it will look different as it will be made differently not riveted but using modern even revlotionary techniques (bonded, more composites etc)
The company I work for are in a group using the bonding technologies for applying mineral substrates to structures....I've seen & read the developments.....recently went to an exhibition in Germany where lots of this was scoped out
The choice of wheelbase will, and should allow for the choice of use for off the line users & work into the adaptations markets.
To me importantly the whole concept has got to provide the platform for special vehicles that we all know a bit about one way or another. Defender was at the root of post war utility vehicle developments.
Rescue vehicles, military vehicles, specials like ones with MEWPs mounted, ambulances, many forms of commercial applications from load lugging vans to flat backs with or without crew cabs.

Most of all it has to be able to tow - I don't know if it's just towing vehicle mass -v- trailer mass that is the deciding factor.
Engine power, ratios of distances between hitch points, hitch heights, centres of gravity of the towed load are factors but how these "synergise" will obviously depend in speed & road surface.

Engines (the J/LR ones) are there waiting to be utilised - but to my simple easoning maybe simpler ones made in more rugged forms without the overly complex systems that may not be needed. The words could be back to basics.
On that theme maybe just six speed transmissions....but we could be surprised by a version of a dual clutch transmission buy in. The VAG brilliant, tough, say to use DSG that has proven itself is already married to the Haldex systems already in use in J/LR products.
I've often (maybe incorrectly) thought the Discovery was the mainstream more comfy version of the Defender...what it provided in function made up for its boxy form that some liked & others didn't.

I'm eager to see just what emerges....I did hear at one stage the hydro-formed chassis was to be the foundation of the vehicle....far too heavy for the mainstream stuff...but could be a simple proven solution for a "utility" made in sufficient numbers to have economies of scale to replace the original.

Whatever it appears as it will become a trend purchase...bought not for what it does or could do - but what it represents.

Others makers (Mercedes the obvious one....but don't rule out VAG) could easily step in to capture a market & its all aboout market share to get any return on investment.
Post #617330 16th Apr 2017 9:38pm
Pat

Wales 
Pickles wrote:
We lived in the Vicarage which is now a B & B.
Are you familiar with "Wildings Garage" in Turnastone?....that is where we used to buy our petrol for our 1936 Austin 10!
Pickles.

That garage amazes me ............... it's a real "time stood still place". If I come across the photos I took a year or so ago, I'll post them on here. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #647115 30th Aug 2017 7:54am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
When I went there in 2001, I spoke to the owner Hedley Wilding, who remembered teaching my mother to drive, when we lived in the vicarage in the fifties,....He also remembered the name of my sister,...an amazing man,...and the petrol pumps used to fill our1936 Austin 10 were still there!
Pickles.
Post #647147 30th Aug 2017 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567