↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Output Shaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
AlanH

Australia 
Don't worry Landumph, you're not the first and nor will you be the last to say that about leaving LR and getting a foreign vehicle. I keep saying it and did once buy a Prado......had the worst auto trans. I've ever driven, horrid cruise control and bad fuel consumption, but it was reliable. Smile
After 1 early Disco, 3 Defenders with the Prado in between 2 of them, I've now gone and got a new D4! What that says about my mental state I'm not sure....... Shocked
AlanH.
Post #640657 30th Jul 2017 8:36am
Landumph

England 1993 Defender 90 V8 Petrol HT Arles Blue
Thanks for the soothing words of wisdom Alan, I have definitely decided to sell my Puma as I've had enough of this vehicle now and will replace with a brand new vehicle (non JLR)
Don't worry as I will not be without a Land Rover, I have in my garage a 1992 factory 90 V8 which has been more reliable than the Puma (sounds better as well!)
Post #640839 31st Jul 2017 7:28am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I think I asked this elsewhere but no aware of an answer yet.

the later defender had a blue coloured heat proof grease.....do we know if there's been any failures yet of those fitted with the blue grease or did by chance this resolve issues in the dying days of production?
Post #640874 31st Jul 2017 11:11am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
How do you actually know that it is heatproof or indeed grease? All we know is that it is blue and seems to leak out of the hole in the bottom of the casing!

The fact it leaks out suggests to me that it doesn't stay where it is needed, which wouldn't be a good sign,

Does anyone actually know what product this is, and what its properties are?
Post #640892 31st Jul 2017 12:27pm
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Landumph wrote:
Just had a conversation with JLR Customers Services after I emailed them about the imminent failure of my output shaft.
My vehicle is 2011 model year with 25000 miles, orange dust all over the transmission (I attached photos) I was informed that JLR will not be offering any financial assistance as I have not had my vehicle serviced at a main dealer ( used local independent who is on their list but not approved) and the mileage is not high enough for a 7 year old vehicle.
Now I know why I've had to have a new clutch, new rear half shafts and a new rear diff (all under warranty) I'm not driving far enough!!
What a load of .....
I'm going to fix, flog it and buy a Toyota, I'm fed up with Land Rover and their crap cars!
There rant over....

It's interesting that they mention non main dealer servicing rather than a flat "NO", given that the vehicle is outwith the Land Rover three years from 1st registration warranty (assuming it's not got a two year approved used warranty). Is this an acknowledgment that there is a known issue?

What do they mean by the independent is on their list but not approved? Do they have a selection of "lists"?

It all sounds like the person at JLRCR is in "how do I dodge this" mode and clutching at straws without thinking through, fairly likely during a phone call, but less common in writing. As you say, what a load of ..... Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #640902 31st Jul 2017 1:15pm
Caterham

blackwolf wrote:
How do you actually know that it is heatproof or indeed grease? All we know is that it is blue and seems to leak out of the hole in the bottom of the casing!

The fact it leaks out suggests to me that it doesn't stay where it is needed, which wouldn't be a good sign,

Does anyone actually know what product this is, and what its properties are?

easy peasy Very Happy

just had a new LR shaft fitted along with the relevant LR tube of lubricant which clearly said 'heat proof grease' Thumbs Up
Post #640917 31st Jul 2017 2:01pm
blackwolf

Ok, good answer! Any more info? Part number for the tube or anything like that?
Post #640953 31st Jul 2017 5:02pm
blackwolf

Landumph wrote:
Just had a conversation with JLR Customers Services after I emailed them about the imminent failure of my output shaft.
My vehicle is 2011 model year with 25000 miles, orange dust all over the transmission (I attached photos) I was informed that JLR will not be offering any financial assistance as I have not had my vehicle serviced at a main dealer ( used local independent who is on their list but not approved) and the mileage is not high enough for a 7 year old vehicle.
Now I know why I've had to have a new clutch, new rear half shafts and a new rear diff (all under warranty) I'm not driving far enough!!
What a load of .....
I'm going to fix, flog it and buy a Toyota, I'm fed up with Land Rover and their crap cars!
There rant over....

An odd response too since this is not a part which would have been seen by anyone following the service schedule on a 25k mile vehicle. Are the suggestion that main dealers are sufficiently on-the-ball to spot the dust and think that shaft failure's imminent? I doubt that most dealers would even spot the signs, let alone care!

Sadly I think this is all part of JLR's caring aftersales attitude.
Post #640954 31st Jul 2017 5:06pm
Caterham

blackwolf wrote:
Ok, good answer! Any more info? Part number for the tube or anything like that?

The package may still be in the bin. I'll have a look.
Post #640956 31st Jul 2017 5:15pm
Landumph

England 1993 Defender 90 V8 Petrol HT Arles Blue
It seems that JLRCS do have lists of independent service providers, because the chap I use has been on official Land Rover vehicle service familiarisation courses and has the certificates in his office, when I mentioned his name, the customer services operative said 'is that Steve Hill at BS4 5JJ?' Yes I said 'he's on our list but not approved'
Hence the reason I've got an issue with JLR, now tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought that under EU law, as long as your vehicle is maintained using genuine parts and following the manufacturer service schedule, where its serviced is immaterial
When the rust, half shafts, rear diff and clutch were replaced and repainted under warranty, my local dealer, Guy Salmon asked who had been servicing the vehicle, I told them it was Steve, the reply was that's fine, because they know him and supply him with parts!
Now I know my vehicle is out of warranty and I didn't expect JLR to pay for the repairs, but some help would have been nice as it's going to cost me around £1100 at a dealer, why us a dealer? 2 year warranty on parts and labour
Doublea, I don't believe that the chap on the phone was trying to dodge the issue, he asked a few questions about servicing and where I bought it and when, how many miles, then a flat no....when I said I have had Land Rovers for 30 years now and I do not intend to buy another his reply was 'that's your prerogative sir'
Post #640967 31st Jul 2017 5:59pm
Caterham

hi BW - the grease packaging has gone. I believe however it is the LR recommended with the shaft so I guess a quick call to LR parts would confirm...
(I've had a quick look on the www and can't find anything).

found out that the 3 bolts holding the diff lock selector in place on the transfer box (1no) was fouling the hi/lo selector as it was too hight (bolt with anit rattle washer) - now back to original bolts.

there is still a wee problem.....it sounds like the exhaust is rubbing on the chassis (I say sounds like).....I wonder if some how the diff lock lever is still not getting full movement and it's that that's making the noise and the problem of partial diff lock?
Post #641076 1st Aug 2017 7:37am
cozz

mines gone in for this (65 plate)

clunk between gears 14500 miles from new in 2 years

at least they should know what it is and get it sorted
Post #646815 28th Aug 2017 7:50pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Would that not be from the rear axle flanges?
I've had the clunk between gears from new, I've had the input shaft replaced (when it failed!), but the clunk is still there,..A frame ball joint could be an issue too?
Pickles.
Post #646854 28th Aug 2017 10:19pm
Yannis

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Is this the dreaded red dust?

Click image to enlarge

My warranty is up at the end of January. I don’t think I can persuade the dealer to change the shaft just based on the red dust...
Post #675675 4th Jan 2018 11:34am
Caterham

I would say yes. but whether it's early stages or near failure I'm not sure it's possible to say. is this something you inspect on a regular basis and it's only just started to show itself?

did you get the blue grease residue in the early days?

have you covered many miles?

good luck whatever, but as you say I doubt they'll do anything just because of some rust residue. that said I guess it can only help your cause if you ask them to note your concerns should it fail just outside of warranty.
Post #675678 4th Jan 2018 11:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>